1. Student-athletes wishing too appeal the restriction or denial of permission to be contacted by another institution or the granting of a one-time transfer exception must request an appeal opportunity within three weeks of the date on the written notice of such restriction or denial. Included in this written request shall be written explanation as to why the student-athlete feels this restriction related to his or her release is inappropriate.
2. Written notification by the Office of Athletics Compliance related to any restriction or denial and the appeal opportunity will be sent to the student-athlete within five business days of a decision being determined by the Director of Athletics. Failure to request a hearing within three weeks will be considered an acceptance by the student-athlete of this decision. The chair of the Athletics Transfer Release Appeal Committee may provide a hearing for individuals that fail to request a hearing prior to the deadline when the chair concludes that documented, extenuating circumstances existed that prevented the student-athlete from requesting the hearing within the acceptable timeframe.
3. This written request for an appeal must be provided to the Associate Athletics Director for Compliance and Eligibility and must be submitted and signed by the student-athlete. Requests for appeals will not be accepted from the parents, legal guardians or attorneys of student-athletes.
4. The Athletics Transfer Release Appeal Committee shall consist of the chair of the Athletics Advisory Committee, the Faculty Athletics Representative and another member of the Athletics Advisory Committee determined by the chair. Members of the Athletics Department Staff may not serve on this committee.
5. An appeal hearing must be provided as soon as possible.
6. Any communication between a committee member and an involved individual or individual knowledgeable of the circumstances of the matter regarding information on the hearing and/or its merits is prohibited.
7. The hearing must be attended by the student-athlete, a representative of the coaching staff of the student-athlete's sport (preferably the head coach) and a representative of the athletics department's office of athletics compliance.
8. The chair of the Athletics Transfer Release Appeal Committee will determine if any additional individuals may attend the hearing. Requests for additional individuals' attendance must be submitted no later than two days in advance of the hearing and the chair will provide the student-athlete and the athletics department with notification of who will be in attendance at the hearing.
9. The chair will arrange the time and location of the hearing and provide the committee members, the student-athlete and the athletics department with this information as soon as it becomes available.
10. Any individual in attendance wishing to present written materials at the hearing must provide copies for individuals in attendance prior to the start of the hearing.
11. The hearing will be conducted by the chair and the chair has the authority to discontinue the hearing at any point that he/she determines all relevant information has been presented.
12. The representative of the coaching staff or the Athletics Director will verbally present information on the reason the student-athlete's release has been restricted or denied.
13. The student-athlete will verbally present his or her position on why he or she believes that this reduction or cancellation is inappropriate.
14. Any additional presentation of information from other individuals may be made at the discretion of the chair of the committee.
15. The committee will ask questions of those in attendance as needed.
16. Upon hearing and reviewing all relevant information, the chair will excuse the student-athlete, the coaching staff member(s) and their representative and the committee will discuss the merits of the appeal.
17. A majority vote will determine the decision of the committee.
18. Written notification of the committee decision will be provided the student-athlete, the head coach and the office of athletics compliance within 48 hours of the conclusion of the hearing.
19. The decision of the Athletics Transfer Release Appeal Committee is final.