Excellence Integrity Inclusivity Loyalty Accountability Sportsmanship
The University of Houston Department of Intercollegiate Athletics is committed to building 'CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE' in every stage and aspect of our student-athletes' careers. The initiatives below outline our program to provide opportunities for an outstanding experience from initial enrollment through graduation.
1. Academic Center for Excellence: A commitment to academic excellence is the main focus of ACE. The full and part-time staffs provide academic, learning specialist and tutorial services for all UH student-athletes, including course scheduling, major selection, progress reports, pro-active meetings, study table, and schedule tutoring and communicate with faculty, coaches and administration regarding student-athlete progress. In addition, learning specialists provide daily support with individualized programs, all with the highest levels of academic integrity to ensure timely graduation and academic success.
2. Cost of Attendance: Athletic scholarships provided to student-athletes will be increased to address the gap between the actual cost of attendance and the scholarship allotment as approved by the NCAA.
3. Student-Athlete Welfare: Provide innovative and student centered services and expertise in every aspect of programming to include:
- Performance Nutrition and Cougar Cafè: Meals (where allowable) and snacks throughout the day - at no additional cost - provided for ALL student-athletes under the direction of our Performance Nutritionist and located in an updated space within the UH Athletics/Alumni Center for the convenience of student-athletes; educational workshops on meal preparation/shopping/nutrient timing specific to performance goals and sport.
- Sports Performance and Sports Medicine: Enhancements to include new Force Plate custom flooring and strength training equipment; a BodPod to measure body composition; a Concussion Protocol that goes beyond NCAA and established guidelines to ensure student-athlete safely and full recovery.
- Comprehensive Health Care: Provided by the leading sport medicine and physician/dental/orthopedic providers in the Medical Center and our own highly regarded Sports Medicine Staff.
4. Collegiate Financial and Post Graduation Preparation Program:
- Financial Management Training: Provided to all student-athletes to inform the use of and maximize the benefit from all athletic and other scholarships and to prepare student-athletes for post-graduate financial responsibilities.
- Agent- Athlete Program: This program is in place to assist student-athletes in obtaining competent, professional, and ethical representation should they decide to pursue a career in professional athletics. This program coincides with the Texas Athlete Agents Act to help maintain the eligibility of all of our student- athletes. This program is available to all student-athletes at the University of Houston.
- Professional Sports Counseling Panel: This panel is in place to assist student-athletes in making the transition from college level play to the professional level. The members of the panel can also assist with answering questions regarding agents, financial management, legal considerations and career options. This panel will be available to all student-athletes at the University of Houston.
5. Comprehensive Leadership Academy: Innovative programming that is responsive to student-athletes goals, feedback and concerns and that brings life skills development opportunities to ALL student-athletes. In addition, participation in outreach and community service projects will be available so that student-athletes can contribute meaningfully to our UH and local community.
6. An active Student-Athlete Advisory Council: Through SAAC, a voice to the UH Athletics administration and a chance for ALL student-athletes to play a role in their own legacy as Champions for Life.
7. Career Development: A Career Development Program that takes full advantage of the city of Houston, the UH Alumni base and the unique qualities possessed by student-athletes to ensure post-graduate success and that involves student-athletes at all levels of their career from freshmen to seniors.
8. Facility Enhancements: Providing facilities, equipment, study spaces and multipurpose areas that are attractive, safe, reflect our core values and offer the best possible environment for ALL student-athletes in every sport to achieve athletic, academic and personal development and well-being.