CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas -- Houston Baseball saw itself down 5-0 in the fourth, but rallied with a seven-run inning and eventually went on to tally 17 hits and earn an 11-5 come-from-behind win over Illinois at Whataburger Field in Game 2 of the Kleberg College Classic Saturday.
With the win, the Cougars moved to 4-2 on the year, while Illinois fell to 2-4 with the loss.
Houston rallied with a seven-hit, seven-run fourth inning to take a 7-5 lead on Illinois and never looked back. The Cougars would add four later insurance runs in the eighth to secure its fourth win of the year and first of the weekend.
The Cougars will wrap up the Kleberg College Classic at Whataburger Field (home of Astros' AA affiliate -- Corpus Christi Hooks) with a 3 p.m. first pitch Sunday against tournament-host Texas A&M-CC.
- Sunday vs. Texas A&M-CC | 3 pm
Fans can follow along via live audio, live video or GT at UHCougars.com/gameday.
- Freshman Landon Etzel recorded an RBI-single in his first career at-bat for Houston. He finished the day, 2-for-3 with a run and RBI.
- Houston tallied 17 hits, a season-high, for its fifth 10+ hit game this season in six opportunities.
- Freshman LHP Brayson Hurdsman improved to 2-0 out of the bullpen and pitched a career-long 4.1 innings.
- Junior Jake Scheiner belted his team-leading second home run of the weekend.
- The top four hitters in Houston's lineup had eight hits and drove in six RBI.
- Houston drew nine free bases (five walks, four HBP).
Top Offensive Players
Landon Etzel | 2x3, R, RBI
Connor Hollis | 2x4, 2 R, 3 RBI
Jake Scheiner | 2x4, R, 2 RBI, HR
Joe Davis | 2x4, 2 R, 2 RBI
Connor Wong | 2x6, R, RBI
Grayson Padgett | 2x6, RBI
Rey Fuentes III | 1x3, R, RBI
Jared Triolo | 3x5, R
Lael Lockhart Jr. | 1x3, 2 R, 2 BB
Hurdsman went a career-long 4.1 innings, earning his second win of the year, to move to 2-0. He allowed just two hits and one unearned run with three walks and four strikeouts.
Sophomore Aaron Fletcher entered the game with Houston leading 7-5 and shut Illinois down, fanning three and allowing just one hit in 2.0 innings of work to earn his second save of the year.
3rd | Illinois scored four runs in the third inning on four hits and a Houston error to go ahead 4-0.
4th | After Illinois extended their lead to 5-0 on two more Houston defensive miscues, the Cougars responded with its most-offensively productive inning of 2017, scoring seven runs on seven hits to take a 7-5 lead.
- Davis walked and with one out, Lockhart and Triolo reached on back-to-back singles to load the bases for Fuentes, who drew a bases-loaded RBI-HBP to put Houston on the board. The scoring continued when Hollis found the right field line for a two-run single. With runners at the corners and one out, Etzel singled in his first career at-bat to keep the scoring and inning alive.
- Wong then followed through with another hit and Davis backed him with a two-run sun-aided single into right to go ahead by two runs.
8th | It took four innings before either team was able to change to score, but Houston used another big inning -- a four-run eighth -- to extend its lead to 11-5 and never look back.
- In that inning, Davis opened with a leadoff single and came around to score on a two-run home run by Scheiner -- his second of the weekend. Lockhart then walked and with two outs, Hollis came up bit, scoring him from first before later scoring on a throwing error by Illinois.
Illinois tallied nine hits, led by Pat McInerney with a 3-for-4 effort, one run scored and an RBI. Illini starter Quinten Sefcik suffered the loss, falling to 0-2, after surrendering seven runs on nine hits in 3.1 innings of work.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS
Single game tickets are on sale at uhcougars.com/tickets. Fans can enjoy a few single game tickets options for the 29 homes games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park during the 2017 season.
SATURDAY MINI-PLAN & SUNDAY FAMILY PACK
An attractive Saturday Mini Plan and Sunday Family Pack are also available, allowing fans to purchase one mini plan for $25, securing a ticket to every Saturday home game or a Family Pack for Four for just $30 to any Sunday game at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park in 2017.
For just $25, the Saturday Mini Plan guarantees you a seat during all seven Saturday home games, which comes out to a ticket price of $3.57 each. You have the choice between Reserved or General Admission seating for the same price.
To purchase a Saturday Mini Plan deal, CLICK HERE or call our Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS.
The Family Pack features four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and four popcorns to any Sunday home game for $30.
In order to purchase this deal, the purchaser must CLICK HERE use the promo code: FAMILYPACK.
SEASON TICKET INFORMATION | CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE
Houston Baseball 2017 season tickets are still on sale as low as $99, and fans are encouraged to secure their ticket to all 29 home games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park this upcoming season by purchasing today.
Season tickets for 29 regular-season home games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park are available for $200 for the reserved chairback seating on the lower level of the concourse at the stadium.
For the third straight year, the additional "Reserved 2" seating option for the 2017 season is available as fans can purchase an assigned seat in sections 200, 201 and 202 for $150.
General admission seating will run in sections 203-209 and are available for $99 for the entire season.
The 2017 `30 Ticket Flex Plan' provides 30 general admission tickets that you can use in a variety of ways. You can use all 30 tickets for one game, a ticket for each home game of the season or any combination in-between.
General Admission season tickets start for as low as $99 (30 home games/$3.30 per ticket), while Reserved season tickets start at only $150 (30 home games/$5.00 per ticket).
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.