Feb. 28, 2017
HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball handed UTRGV its first loss of the season in an 11-2 rout, highlighted by 12 hits and three home runs on Tuesday evening at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park.
With the win, the Cougars moved to 6-2 on the year and UTRGV fell to 8-1 with the loss after opening the 2017 season with an 8-0 record.
The Vaqueros entered Tuesday's game with a nation-leading 1.43 ERA, but the Cougars used a nine-run third inning and 12 total hits to plate 11 earned runs on the pitching staff.
Houston will continue its five-game homestand with a weekend series vs. No. 7 Cal State Fullerton, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m.
- Friday -- 6:30 pm
- Saturday -- 6:30 pm
- Sunday -- 1 pm
Fans can follow along via live audio, live video or GT at UHCougars.com/gameday.
- Freshman Jared Triolo belted his first career home run, a two-out solo shot in the sixth inning.
- Sophomore Grayson Padgett notched his first career home run, a solo shot in the third inning as him and junior Connor Wong went back-to-back -- as Wong belted his second of the year.
- Freshman reliever Carter Henry earned his first win as a Cougar, tossing 3.0 shutout innings in relief.
- Freshman Lael Lockhart Jr. and junior Jake Scheiner extended their hitting streaks to eight games to open the 2017 season.
- The Houston offense tallied its sixth 10+ hit game this season with 12 base hits Tuesday.
- The Cougars doubled their home run total with three tonight, now sitting with six on the year.
- Houston used a season-best nine-run inning to take the early lead and never look back.
Top Offensive Players
Grayson Padgett | 2x4, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR
Lael Lockhart Jr. | 3x5, R, RBI
Connor Wong | 1x3, 2 R, 2 RBI, HR
Jared Triolo | 2x5, 3 R, 2 RBI, HR
Tyler Bielamowicz | 1x2, R, RBI
Landon Etzel | 1x3, RBI
Joe Davis | 1x5, R, RBI
Starter Trey Cumbie worked around several early jams and induced huge strikeouts to keep UTRGV off the board early despite it recording two leadoff doubles and a leadoff single to open the first three innings. The southpaw went on to toss 4.0 innings, surrendering just one run on six hits and a walk with four strikeouts before handing the ball over to freshman Carter Henry.
Henry showed well in his third relief appearance of the year and he went a career-long 3.0 shutout innings out of the bullpen, allowing just one hit and two walks with three strikeouts to pick up his first career win as a Cougar.
2nd | Houston jumped on UTRGV with a run in the bottom of the second when Etzel plated Triolo with an RBI-single.
3rd | The Cougars extended their lead with a season-high nine runs in the third inning, going ahead 10-1.
- The inning opened with a leadoff walk from Wong before Padgett tripled into the right field corner to make it a 2-0 game. Hits continued as Davis singled, Scheiner doubled and Lockhart singled and plated a run for a 3-0 advantage. Triolo then followed up with an RBI-double and Bielamowicz with a two-run double for a 6-0 lead -- all with no outs.
- Following a groundout and strikeout, Wong and Padgett went back-to-back in the order with home runs to plate nine runs on eight hits.
6th | After UTRGV scored one run in the fifth, Houston responded with a two-out solo home run off the bat of Triolo for the 10-1 advantage.
UTRGV went on to add a late run in the eighth.
UTRGV fell to 8-1 on the year with the loss and starter Connor Grant (2.0,6,6,6,1,2) suffered his first loss of the year after surrendering his first run of the season and six total in the game. The Vaqueros tallied 11 hits, led by Jose Garcia with three.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS
Single game tickets are on sale at uhcougars.com/tickets. Fans can enjoy a few single game tickets options for the 29 homes games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park during the 2017 season.
SATURDAY MINI-PLAN & SUNDAY FAMILY PACK
An attractive Saturday Mini Plan and Sunday Family Pack are also available, allowing fans to purchase one mini plan for $25, securing a ticket to every Saturday home game or a Family Pack for Four for just $30 to any Sunday game at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park in 2017.
For just $25, the Saturday Mini Plan guarantees you a seat during all seven Saturday home games, which comes out to a ticket price of $3.57 each. You have the choice between Reserved or General Admission seating for the same price.
To purchase a Saturday Mini Plan deal, CLICK HERE or call our Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS.
The Family Pack features four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and four popcorns to any Sunday home game for $30.
In order to purchase this deal, the purchaser must CLICK HERE use the promo code: FAMILYPACK.
SEASON TICKET INFORMATION | CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE
Houston Baseball 2017 season tickets are still on sale as low as $99, and fans are encouraged to secure their ticket to all 29 home games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park this upcoming season by purchasing today.
Season tickets for 29 regular-season home games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park are available for $200 for the reserved chairback seating on the lower level of the concourse at the stadium.
For the third straight year, the additional "Reserved 2" seating option for the 2017 season is available as fans can purchase an assigned seat in sections 200, 201 and 202 for $150.
General admission seating will run in sections 203-209 and are available for $99 for the entire season.
The 2017 `30 Ticket Flex Plan' provides 30 general admission tickets that you can use in a variety of ways. You can use all 30 tickets for one game, a ticket for each home game of the season or any combination in-between.
General Admission season tickets start for as low as $99 (30 home games/$3.30 per ticket), while Reserved season tickets start at only $150 (30 home games/$5.00 per ticket).
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.