HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball fell 8-6 in 10 innings to Cincinnati in the opener of the final American Athletic Conference regular-season series at Schroeder Park Thursday.
With the loss, Houston moves to 34-19 on the year and 13-9 in league play, while Cincinnati improved to 28-26 overall and 10-12 in American action.
Houston and Cincinnati will continue its series at 6:30 p.m. Friday and wrap at 1 p.m. Saturday.
- Friday Frenzy | $1 popcorn, $2 hot dogs, $3 sodas, $4 beer (21 years and older)
- Friday Night Fireworks | Fireworks after the Game
- Senior Day | Honoring our lone senior LHP John King
- Salute to Service Saturday | FREE Admission with Military or Service ID
- Kids Day | inflatables, Anthem Buddies, Run Bases postgame, Autographs postgame
- Giveaway | Trading Cards Pack No. 4 to First 250 Fans (Gates open at 11 am)
SINGLE GAME TICKETS FOR FINAL SERIES VS. CINCINNATI
Single game tickets can be purchased at UHCougars.com/tickets or by calling 713-GO-COOGS.
- Corey Julks has reached base in 15 straight games and Joe Davis in 13 straight.
- Connor Wong belted his 11th home run of the year -- a solo shot to open the game.
- Five different Cougars registered an RBI on Thursday.
- Corey Julks walked four times.
- There were a combined 13 walks between the two teams.
- Houston stranded 14 base runners.
Top Offensive Players
Connor Wong | 3x6, R, RBI, HR (11)
Jake Scheiner | 1x5, R, RBI, 2B
Corey Julks | 0x1, R, 4 BB
Grayson Padgett | 1x5, R, RBI, BB
Joe Davis | 2x6, RBI
Jared Triolo | 1x4, R, 2B
Connor Hollis | 0x2, R, RBI, BB
Houston tallied nine hits, led by Connor Wong, who went 3-for-6 with a run and RBI on his 11th home run of the year. Joe Davis added two base hits and an RBI, while Grayson Padgett and Jake Scheiner each drove in a run on a base hit.
Mitch Ullom | 4.2 IP, 7 H, 4 R, 4 ER, 3 BB, 2 K
Joey Pulido | 2.1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K
Brayson Hurdsman | 0.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 1 K
Aaron Fletcher | 2.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K
Sophomore Mitch Ullom made his 14th start of the season and left the game with two outs in the top of the fifth with the scored tied. He allowed four runs on seven hits with three walks and two strikeouts.
Junior Joey Pulido took over with bases loaded and induced an inning-ending groundout to keep Cincinnati from taking the lead. Pulido went on to pitch 2.1 innings in relief, allowing one run on two hits with a walk and four strikeouts.
Freshman Brayson Hurdsman came in and recorded an out and issued an intentional walk before handing the ball to sophomore Aaron Fletcher. Fletcher went 2.2 innings and into extras, but would unfortunately suffer the loss, falling to 2-1 on the year, after surrendering three runs on four hits with two walks and one strikeout.
1st | Houston jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Wong led off the game with a solo home run -- his 11th. A walk followed him from Padgett and base hit for Davis. Scheiner then doubled in Padgett for the game's second run and then came around to score on his own thanks to a Cincinnati throwing error for the third run.
2nd | Cincinnati responded with a pair of runs in the top of the second on two RBI-base hits.
4th | Houston extended its lead in the bottom of the fourth with a two-out RBI-single by Padgett, scoring Triolo, who led off the inning with a double.
5th | Cincinnati used a leadoff walk and two groundouts to plate its third run of the game before scoring on a check-swing base hit to tie the game at 4-4.
Houston used a two-out, bases-loaded hit-by-pitch from Hollis to plate Julks, who was also hit, to go ahead 5-4 in the fifth.
6th | Cincinnati used a first pitch home run in the sixth to tie the game back up at 5-5.
10th | It took until the 10th for either team to break open the 5-5 tie, but Cincinnati managed to score three runs on four hits in the final inning of play to take an 8-5 lead into the bottom half.
Hollis led off the bottom of the 10th being hit, moved to second on a single by Wong. Padgett grounded out to second to put runners at second and third for Davis, who used an RBI-groundout to score Hollis. Houston stranded a couple to end the game.
Cincinnati out hit Houston, 12-9, led by A.J. Bumpass and Connor McVey, who each had two RBI on two base hits. David Orndorff, out of the pen, earned the win, moving to 5-4 on the year, after allowing just one run on one hit with a strikeout in 1.2 innings.
HONORING SENIOR John King ON SATURDAY
- John King hails from Missouri City, Texas.
- Two-year letterwinner for the Cougars after transferring in his junior season from Angelina College.
- Played high school baseball at Clements in Sugar Land.
- Made 27 career appearances with 19 starts and has totaled 120.2 innings in his two-year career.
- Owns 3.51 ERA with three complete games and one complete-game shutout
- Has struck out 73 and walked just 19, holding opponents to a .264 average.
- Has been named American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week twice in his career.
- Named to Kleberg Bank College Classic All-Tournament Team in 2017.
- Named to The American All-Academic Team in 2016.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.