HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball bested five of its own postseason records and ended Baylor's season with a 17-3 rout on Saturday in the Houston Regional at Schroeder Park.
With the victory, the Cougars improved to 41-20 on the year and moved to 1-1 on the weekend to keep their season alive. Baylor has been eliminated from the NCAA postseason and finishes with a 34-22 overall record.
In NCAA play, Houston rewrote several categories in its records book, notching team highs in hits (20), runs (17), RBI (17), and individual RBI (6-Scheiner) as well as tallying a 14-run margin of victory to surpass the previous high in Houston's NCAA postseason play history.
(1) Houston will face the loser of (3) Texas A&M and (4) Iowa at 3 p.m. CT Sunday. TV to be announced in the morning.
- Corey Julks has reached base in 23 straight games and Joe Davis in 21 straight.
- Every Cougar in the starting lineup had a hit and scored a run.
- Houston batted around in the seventh before recording an out.
- The top of the seventh inning lasted 42 minutes.
- Houston hit three home runs (Scheiner (18), Davis (8), Julks (8)) in the win, bringing its total to 58 -- the most since hitting 71 in 2006.
- Jake Scheiner belted his 18th home run of the year to move into a tie for second all-time in a single season, tying Thanos Papavasiliou and Cole Bruce, who each had four in an NCAA Regional vs. Alabama on May 31, 2003.
- Scheiner's six RBI was a Houston NCAA postseason record, previously done by three different Cougars.
- Houston broke NCAA postseason team records in hits (20), runs (17), RBI (17) and tied its own team records in home runs (3) and doubles (4).
- The 14-run margin of victory also breaks a Houston NCAA postseason record, previously of 12 (15-3) vs. Southern Miss on May 26, 1990 in the NCAA South I Regional.
Top Offensive Players
Connor Wong | 1x3, 2 R, 2B
Connor Hollis | 3x5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 3B
Jake Scheiner | 3x6, R, 6 RBI, HR (18)
Joe Davis | 3x4, 3 E, 2 RBI, 2B, HR (8)
Corey Julks | 2x5, 2 R, 2 RBI, 2B, HR (8)
Lael Lockhart Jr. | 3x5, 2 R, 4 RBI, 2B
Tyler Bielamowicz | 2x6, 2 R
Grayson Padgett | 1x3, R
Cooper Coldiron | 1x4, 2 R, RBI
Jared Triolo | 1x2
Houston Baseball notched a season-high 20 hits -- the first time since May 23, 2015 vs. Memphis in American Championship -- when the Cougars tallied 24 hits in a 17-3 win.
In Saturday's Regional win, every Cougar starter had a hit and scored a run, led by three home runs and four doubles.
Jake Scheiner broke a Houston NCAA postseason record with six RBI on three hits, which included his conference-leading 18th home run of the year.
Freshman Lael Lockhart Jr. continued his hot-hitting in postseason play, going 3-for-5 with four RBI and two runs, while Joe Davis and Corey Julks each belted their eighth home runs of the year, driving in a pair to join Connor Hollis with a two-RBI day.
Houston senior starter John King produced yet another quality start for the Cougars, going 5.2 innings, allowing three runs on eight hits with no walks and five strikeouts to improve to 8-1 on the year.
He handed the ball over to freshman Fred Villarreal, who earned a 3.0+ inning save, going 3.1 innings out of the bullpen, allowing just three scattered hits to pick up save No. 2 in his debut season.
King and Villarreal were backed by its defense, who turned a season-high four double plays in the win.
1st | With two outs and Wong at third after he led off the game with a double, Julks belted his eighth home run of the year to put the Cougars ahead, 2-0 early.
2nd | Houston scratched across another run in the second when Davis doubled, moved to third on a sac bunt by Coldiron and scored on an RBI-single by Lockhart to make it 3-0.
6th | The Cougars added to their lead with a five-run sixth inning, highlighted by a two-run home run by Davis. Julks opened the frame with a double and scored on Davis' long ball. Coldiron extended the inning with a walk before Lockhart drove in him on an RBI-single to make it 6-0. With two outs, Scheiner singled to score Lockhart and Bielamowicz, who also singled, to make it 8-0 Houston.
Baylor would get on the board in the bottom half of the inning, plating three runs -- two of which came on a two-run home run.
7th | Houston bounced back from the three-runs surrendered to Baylor to add to its lead with another multi-run inning, scoring eight runs in the seventh inning to extend its lead to 16-3.
The inning began with five straight hits by the Cougars and continued with a walk, two-run single by Hollis and a three-run home run by Scheiner. The Cougars batted around the inning before recording an out and all but one starter scored a run in that 42-minute frame alone.
8th | Houston added its final run in the eighth inning when Hollis tripled with one out and later scored on an RBI-single by Scheiner to make it a 17-3 game.
Baylor's season ended in the 17-3 rout by Houston. The Bears tallied 11 hits and were led by Matt Menard, who went 2-for-3 with a run and two RBI on a two-run home run. Starter Alex Phillips suffered the loss, allowing three runs on five hits in 2.0 innings of work.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.