GREENVILLE, N.C. -- Houston Baseball junior Aaron Fletcher was recognized by the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association (NCBWA) Monday when he was named to the organization's Preseason Stopper of the Year Watch List, honoring the nation's top relief pitcher.
Fletcher is one of four American Athletic Conference hurlers to be named to the preseason watch list, joining Andrew Perez (USF), P.J. Poulin (UConn) and Bryce Tucker (UCF).
ABOUT Aaron Fletcher
Fletcher returns to the Houston lineup having led the 2017 Championship team in appearances (21) and saves (8) a year ago. The southpaw also led all bullpen pitchers with a 2.40 ERA and was 2-1 with 41 strikeouts in 41.1 innings.
The Cypress, Texas, native battled injury and eventually redshirted the 2016 campaign, making only four early appearances. As a true freshman in 2015, Fletcher tallied the lowest ERA by a relief pitcher (1.37) and made 21 appearances -- the third most on the team.
Fletcher owns a career 1.89 ERA in two complete seasons and is 4-2 in 46 relief appearances. He has managed to hold opposing hitters to a .236 batting average.
- NCBWA Stopper of the Year Preseason List
QUICK LOOK BACK FROM 2017
- Don Sanders Cup All-Series Team
- Led Houston with eight saves
- Made a team-high 21 appearances
- Earned back-to-back saves in first two relief appearances vs. Wake Forest and Illinois
- Didn't allow an earned run in 14 of his 21 appearances
- Picked up two saves in the American Championship vs. Memphis and UConn
- Helped Houston to a regular-season and conference tournament title and the No. 1 seed in NCAA tournament
TICKETS ON SALE
Season Tickets, single game tickets and the Flex 20 plan are all available for purchase.
Visit UHCougars.com/tickets or call 713-GO-COOGS to purchase.
Houston Baseball will open its 2018 schedule at Schroeder Park, Feb. 16-18 vs. Holy Cross.
- Friday vs. Holy Cross | 6:30 pm
- Saturday vs. Holy Cross | 6:30 pm
- Sunday vs. Holy Cross | 1 pm
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /UHCougarBB. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.