HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball junior Joe Davis was named to the Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award Watch List, honoring the top college player in the state of Texas based on performance at the plate, academics and personal integrity.
The award, created by the Bobby Bragan Youth Foundation in 2017, was open to nominations from all Division I baseball programs in Texas. Last year, Houston's Jake Scheiner was named a Semifinalist in the inaugural year of the award.
Davis returns for his junior campaign and the 2016 American Athletic Conference Rookie of the Year earns yet another preseason nod. He enters 2018 tied for ninth in the program record books with 22 career home runs. He is just nine shy of tying Pat Hewes' all-time record of 31.
In 2017, Davis appeared in 61 games, making 60 starts at first base and designated hitter. He hit .299 with 73 hits, 36 runs, and 46 RBI and finished fourth on the team with eight home runs -- seven of which came in conference-only games.
He showed well in American play, hitting .323. Davis finished 2017 with 20 multi-hit games and 11 multi-RBI games, while riding a 21-game on base streak late in the year.
- Bobby Bragan Collegiate Slugger Award Watch List
- Third Team Preseason All-American by Perfect Game
QUICK LOOK BACK FROM 2017
- All-American Athletic Conference Second Team
- USA Baseball Golden Spikes Award Preseason Watch List
- Third Team Preseason All-American by D1Baseball.com
- Second Team Preseason All-American by Baseball America
- American Preseason Player of the Year
- American Preseason Team
- Third Team Preseason All-American by Collegiate Baseball
- Hit a home run in each of the first five American series
- Had a hit in all four games during American Championship
- Went 3-for-4 with three runs and two RBI in a win over Baylor during the NCAA Houston Regional
- Rode a 10-game hit streak from May 5 to May 19 and in six of those 10 games, tallied a multi-hit game
TICKETS ON SALE
Season Tickets, single game tickets and the Flex 20 plan are all available for purchase.
Visit UHCougars.com/tickets or call 713-GO-COOGS to purchase.
Houston Baseball will open its 2018 schedule at Schroeder Park, Feb. 16-18 vs. Holy Cross.
- Friday vs. Holy Cross | 6:30 pm
- Saturday vs. Holy Cross | 6:30 pm
- Sunday vs. Holy Cross | 1 pm
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /UHCougarBB. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.