Feb. 20, 2013
HOUSTON -- The University of Houston Baseball team will look to continue its winning ways on the road when it resumes its road tour away from Houston in a three-game series at Texas State, beginning at 6:30 p.m. Friday, continuing at 2 p.m. Saturday and wrapping up a Noon on Sunday at Bobcat Baseball Ballpark in San Marcos, Texas.
San Marcos, Texas
All-Time: Houston leads all-time series, 28-15 since 1984|
In San Marcos: Houston leads 5-4
LAST TIME OUT
The Cougars are coming off a huge 6-3 road win on Tuesday at Sam Houston State. The team plated three runs in the top of the ninth inning to break up a 3-3 stalemate to earn its first road win in as many tries this year. Houston was led by a dominating combined pitching effort from sophomore starter Aaron Garza (6.0 innings/3 K) and freshman Jake Lemoine (W, 3.0 innings, 0 runs) in the victory.
Houston improved to 3-1 this season and 1-0 away from Cougar Field.
QUICK HITS ABOUT HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .269 with 20 RBI and 36 hits in four games.
· Freshman Josh Vidales was named C-USA Hitter of the Week on Monday after leading the Cougars to a series win over Northeastern, hitting .500 on a 6-for-12 effort.
· Junior Caleb Barker paces the Cougars with four RBI, while freshman Justin Montemayor leads the team in average (.417) and slugging percentage (.750).
· Houston is 7-8 in stolen bases and drew 16 walks and eight hit-by-pitches in the first four games.
· Houston starting pitching has combined for 23.0 innings, walking just two batters in the first four games, while fanning 19.
· The Cougars have seen up to five freshmen in the starting lineup in more than one game.
HOUSTON WEEKEND ROTATION
· FRIDAY: Senior LHP Matt Hernandez will get his second Friday night start of the season after recording a win in his debut, tossing 6.0 innings, allowing just two runs with five strikeouts.
· SATURDAY: Senior RHP Austin Pruitt will return to the mound for his second Saturday start, while holding a 0.00 ERA through his first 6.0 innings after garnering a win in his season debut.
· SUNDAY: Junior RHP Daniel Poncedeleon will make his second Sunday start in as many weeks and looks to bounce back after suffering a loss in his Cougar debut. Despite the loss, Poncedeleon fanned seven and currently leads the team in strikeouts.
QUICK HITS ABOUT TEXAS STATE
· Texas State enters the weekend series with a 1-3 record, having defeated Tulane 2-0.
· The Bobcats are coming off of back-to-back losses to Sam Houston State (10-9) and Baylor (6-3).
· As a team, Texas State is hitting .176 with 24 hits and 13 RBI, led by Garrett Mattlage and Andrew Stumph with a .267 average.
· Texas State has committed just three errors in 111 putouts and 46 assists.
TEXAS STATE WEEKEND ROTATION
· FRIDAY: RHP Kyle Finnegan will make his second start of the year, holding a 3.00 ERA with 11 strikeouts in 6.0 innings.
· SATURDAY: RHP Taylor Black fanned seven in his first start, which lasted 7.2 innings.
· SUNDAY: RHP Scott Grist will make his second Sunday start after allowing five earned runs in 4.2 innings of work last week for a 9.64 ERA.
· Houston and Texas State meet for the 44th time in the program's history this weekend.
· The Cougars own the all-time series, 28-15, but Texas State has won eight of the last nine contests.
· Houston is 5-4 on the road in San Marcos since the series began back in 1984.
· The two schools met at Cougar Field in 2012 as Texas State won two of three.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Following the weekend series, Houston will host Houston Baptist at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Cougar Field. The Cougars will then follow up with The Astros Foundation College Classic on March 1-3 by playing Texas A&M, Baylor, and Cal at Minute Maid Park.