PREVIEW: Baseball to Host Houston Baptist at 6:30 pm Tuesday
Feb. 25, 2013
HOUSTON -- University of Houston Baseball will host its first midweek game of 2013 when it welcomes Houston Baptist to Cougar Field at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. This game will mark the first of nine contests to be played in the city of Houston over the next two weeks.
LAST TIME OUT
The Cougars return to Cougar Field after picking up three road wins last week, including a series win at Texas State in San Marcos. Houston earned a 6-3 win at Sam Houston State last Tuesday behind the pitching duo of sophomore Aaron Garza and freshman Jake Lemoine. Despite dropping the series opener to the Bobcats, Houston responded and won the next two, including a 1-0 shutout win on Saturday behind the remarkable one-hitter, complete game by Conference USA Pitcher of the Week senior Austin Pruitt. Houston went on to record its fifth win of the year in a 4-2, 10-inning victory as Lemoine earned his second win of the week in relief of a strong outing by junior starter Daniel Poncedeleon. Junior Jonathan Davis and Landon Appling combined for 6-for-9 with two runs scored and an RBI.
Houston holds a 5-2 record and a 3-1 mark at Cougar Field entering Tuesday's contest with HBU.
QUICK HITS ABOUT HOUSTON
· Houston pitching holds an ERA of 2.29 through the first seven games.
· Starting pitching has combined for 42.1 innings and 6.0 per game, allowing just eight walks and fanning 34 hitters.
· Senior starter Austin Pruitt has tossed 15.0 scoreless innings and holds a 2-0 record through his first two starts.
· For his effort, Pruitt was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week.
· Freshman reliever Jake Lemoine has also earned two wins in relief and records an ERA of 0.00 in 7.2 innings out of the pen.
· Sophomore Aaron Garza will make his second midweek start this year with a 3.00 ERA in 6.0 innings of work. He has allowed just one earned run on six hits with three strikeouts and no walks.
· The Houston offense is led by junior Jonathan Davis' .412 average (7x17) and .529 slugging percentage.
· Freshmen Kyle Kirk (.316) and Josh Vidales (.276) follow in average, while junior Caleb Barker leads in the team in RBI with five.
· Houston holds and on-base percentage of .333 after 26 walks and 10 hit-by-pitches in seven games played.
QUICK HITS ABOUT HOUSTON BAPTIST
· Houston Baptist enters Tuesday's contest with a 4-2-1 record, having tied Bryant in their last game.
· The Huskies have wins over Nicholls State, Prairie View A&M and Bryant.
· Houston Baptist will play its first road game this season.
· Samm Wiggins leads the Huskies with a .412 average.
· As a team, HBU is hitting .230 with 48 hits and 28 RBI.
· The Husky pitching staff holds an ERA of 4.65 with 40 strikeouts in 62.0 innings.
· HOUSTON: RHP Aaron Garza | Sophomore | 3.00 ERA | 1 GS | 6.0 IP, 0 BB, 3 K
· HBU: RHP Ross Kennell | Sophomore | 3.38 ERA | 1-0 | 1 GS | 8.0 IP, 4 BB, 2 K
· Houston and Houston Baptist will meet for the 17th time in school history with the Cougars leading the series, 12-4.
· The two teams met last on Feb. 27, 1996 in a 5-1 Houston Baptist win on the road.
· The Cougars have won four of the last five and four straight at Cougar Field.
For single-game ticket information, click here or contact the Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS (462-6647).