Feb. 28, 2013
HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball will make its 13th straight appearance in the prestigious and premier Astros Foundation College Classic this weekend when it takes on Texas A&M at 7 p.m. Friday, Baylor at 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Cal at 11 a.m. Sunday at Minute Maid Park, home of the Houston Astros.
|Fri., March 1 vs. Texas A&M|
Minute Maid Park
|7:00 p.m. // TV: None||Notes|
||ª GAME NOTES||
Houston: LHP Matt Hernandez (1-1)
Texas A&M: RHP Kyle Martin (0-1)
|Houston and Texas A&M will meet for 166th time in school history (2nd most behind Rice - 168). The Aggies hold a 109-55-1 advantage over the Cougars since they first met back in 1949.|
|Sat., March 2 vs. Baylor|
Minute Maid Park
|3:30 p.m. // TV: Delay (will air on March 5 at Noon)|
Comcast SportsNet Houston
ª GAME NOTES
Houston: RHP Austin Pruitt (2-0)
Baylor: RHP Austin Stone (0-0)
|Houston and Baylor will meet for the 148th time (fourth most in program history). The Bears own the series at 87-60 since they first met back in 1951.|
|Sun., March 3 vs. Cal|
Minute Maid Park
|11:00 a.m. // TV: Live on Comcast SportsNet (CSN)||Notes|
ª GAME NOTES
Houston: RHP Daniel Poncedeleon (0-1)
Cal: LHP Michael Theofanopoulos (0-1)
|Houston and Cal will meet for just the fifth time in history, as Houston owns the all-time series at 3-1.|
ABOUT THE COLLEGE CLASSIC
2013 marks the 13th straight season for the College Classic hosted by the Houston Astros, played at Minute Maid Park. The Cougars will also mark their 13th straight season having participated in the annual event. Over the past 12 years, Houston has posted an overall record of 16-20 and recorded six wins over Top 30 teams and saw 22 players named to the All-Tournament team. Rice and No. 1 North Carolina will also be participating, but Houston will not face those two teams.
The Cougars made an interesting run in 2012, winning two of its three games, which included earning a 7-4 win over Tennessee and a 4-1 win over then-No. 4 Arkansas, who went on to play in the College World Series.
CSN's television coverage will include a live broadcast of Sunday's 11 a.m. game against Cal and a tape delayed version of the Cougars' Saturday game against Baylor, to be aired Tuesday March, 5 at Noon.
THE ASTROS FOUNDATION COLLEGE CLASSIC ON COMCAST SPORTSNET
Date Opponent Outlet Time (CT)
Saturday, March 2 UNC/Rice CSN 4 p.m. - Delay
Sunday, March 3 Cal-Berkeley/UH CSN 11 a.m. - Live
Monday, March 4 Rice/Texas A&M CSN Noon - Delay
Tuesday, March 5 UH/Baylor CSN Noon - Delay
Wednesday, March 6 Baylor/Rice CSN Noon - Delay
o HOUSTON: LHP Matt Hernandez | 4.91 ERA | 1-1 | 2 GS | 7.2 IP | 5 K/ 2 BB
o TEXAS A&M: RHP Kyle Martin | 1.98 ERA | 0-1 | 2 GS | 13.2 IP | 16 K/0 BB
o HOUSTON: RHP Austin Pruitt | 0.00 ERA | 2-0 | 2 GS | 15.0 IP | 14 K/3 BB
o BAYLOR: RHP Austin Stone | 0.00 ERA | 0-0 | 3 AP-1 GS | 6 K/0 BB
o HOUSTON: RHP Daniel Poncedeleon | 2.25 ERA | 0-1 | 2 GS | 12.0 IP | 12 K/3 BB
o CAL: LHP Michael Theofanopoulos | 8.44 ERA | 0-1 | 2 GS | 5.1 IP | 3 K/6 BB
QUICK HITS ABOUT HOUSTON
· Houston pitching holds an ERA of 2.12 through the first eight games.
· Starting pitching has combined for 45.1 innings and 5.6 per game, allowing just eight walks and fanning 38 hitters.
· Senior starter Austin Pruitt has tossed 15.0 scoreless innings and holds a 2-0 record through his first two starts.
· For his effort, Pruitt was named Conference USA Pitcher of the Week.
· Freshman Jake Lemoine has also earned two wins in relief and records an ERA of 0.00 in 7.2 innings out of the pen.
· Sophomore Aaron Garza picked up his first win of the year and has now tossed 11.0 innings without issuing a walk.
· The Houston offense is led by junior Jonathan Davis' .400 average (8x2, 3 2B) and .550 slugging percentage.
· Freshman Justin Montemayor leads the team with two HRs, while junior Caleb Barker has driven in a team-best six RBI.
· Houston holds and on-base percentage of .344 after 30 walks and 11 hit-by-pitches in eight games played.
QUICK HITS ABOUT TEXAS A&M
· Texas A&M enters the weekend with a 7-3 record and will play away from College Station for the first time this year
· The Aggies are coming off back-to-back wins over Northwestern State
· As a team, Texas A&M is hitting .281with 87 hits and 38 RBI
· Aggies are led by Mikey Reynolds' .436 average and eight RBI
· Texas A&M is 28-for-32 in stolen bases through the first 10 games
· RHP Kyle Martin holds a 1.98 ERA in two starts, holding a 0-1 record
· In 13.2 innings pitched, Martin has fanned 16, walked none and allowed 10 hits
· RHP Jason Jester has tossed 6.2 scoreless innings with three saves
QUICK HITS ABOUT BAYLOR
· Baylor will meet Cal on Noon on Friday before facing Houston at 3:30 p.m. Saturday
· The Bears enter the weekend with a 3-5 record
· Coming off a 5-4 upset over No. 29 Pepperdine at home Tuesday
· Team is hitting .269 with 70 hits and 29 RBI
· Led offensively by Nathan Orf's .516 average, 16 hits and .645 slugging percentage
· Bears have faced UC Irvine, UCLA, Texas State and Pepperdine this season
· Pitching staff holds a 4.83 ERA with a 3-5 record and two saves
· Dillon Newman holds a team-low 2.79 ERA in 9.2 innings pitched
· RHP Austin Stone holds a 0.00 ERA in three appearances and one start this season
· In 6.0 innings, Stone has fanned six hitters and allowed five hits and one unearned run
· Baylor defense has committed 13 errors for a .957 fielding percentage
QUICK HITS ABOUT CAL
· Cal will play Baylor on Friday and North Carolina on Saturday before meeting Houston on Sunday
· The Bears enter the weekend with a 4-4 record with wins over Michigan and UC Irvine
· As a team, the Bears are hitting .253 with 69 hits and 28 RBI
· Led offensively by Devon Rodriguez's .400 average, 12 hits and six RBI
· Pitching staff holds a 4.33 ERA in 72.2 innings of work
· The Bears have fanned 50 hitters and walked 31
· LHP Michael Theofanopoulos will start with an 8.44 ERA and a 0-1 record through 5.1 innings in his first two starts
· Cal's defense has committed 11 errors for a .967 fielding percentage
· Houston and Texas A&M will meet for 166th time in school history (2nd most behind Rice - 168). The Aggies hold a 109-55-1 advantage over the Cougars since they first met back in 1949. The last meeting came in a 3-2 Houston-win on the road in College Station back on April 5, 2011. This will be the seventh meeting between the two schools at the College Classic (Texas A&M 4, Houston 2).
· Houston and Baylor will meet for the 148th time (fourth most in program history). The Bears own the series at 87-60 since they first met back in 1951. Houston and Baylor will meet three times this season, all at different locations--which happens to be the first time that has happened since 2007 vs. UTSA. Baylor earned a 14-5 win over Houston in 2012 at Cougar Field. This meeting will mark the eighth time the two teams have met in the College Classic (Baylor 5, Houston 2).
· Houston and Cal will meet for just the fifth time in history, as Houston owns the all-time series at 3-1. The two teams last met back on March 17, 2010 in a 12-9 Houston win on the road. The Bears and Houston will meet for the first time in the College Classic.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Adult tickets are available for a $15 daily admission, as well as a $36 three-day tournament pass. Tickets for high school and college students, with a valid student ID, and children (ages 4-14) are available for $10 daily and $21 for a tournament pass.
Astros season ticket holders (27-game packages and up) are offered a $10 daily ticket and a $24 tournament pass. Reserved seating is also available in the Insperity Club for $30 per game.
To purchase group tickets, which are available for $12 a day, and Insperity Club tickets, please call 713-259-8333. Luxury suites can be purchased for the entire tournament or on a daily basis by calling 713-259-8350.
THE ASTROS FOUNDATION COLLEGE CLASSIC SCHEDULE
Friday, March 1 - TICKET INFORMATION
12:00 pm | Baylor vs. California
3:30 pm | North Carolina vs. Rice
7:00 pm | Houston vs. Texas A&M
Saturday, March 2 - TICKET INFORMATION
12:00 pm | North Carolina vs. California
3:30 pm | Houston vs. Baylor
7:00 pm | Rice vs. Texas A&M
Sunday, March 3 - TICKET INFORMATION
11:00 am | California vs. Houston
2:00 pm | Texas A&M vs. North Carolina
5:30 pm | Baylor vs. Rice
Parking will be available in the Astros' controlled lots B & C for $5 per day.
Friday, March 1 Parking Pass Information
Saturday, March 2 Parking Pass Information
Sunday, March 3 Parking Pass Information
Following the weekend action, Houston will return to Cougar Field for five games next week, beginning with a two-game series on Tuesday (6:30 pm) and Wednesday (4 pm) against Penn State and a weekend series vs. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (6:30 pm/6:30 pm/1 pm).