|HOUSTON (5-2) vs. KENTUCKY, MISSISSIPPI STATE, VANDERBILT|
|LOCATION||Minute Maid Park | Houston, Texas|
|GAMEDAY CENTRAL||GAMEDAY CENTRAL|
|WATCH LIVE||AT&T SportsNet SW (Friday - Alt) | Astros.com|
|GAMETRACKER||Friday | Saturday | Sunday|
|SERIES HISTORY||Houston will compete in the College Classic for the 17th year.|
|SERIES RECORD||vs. Kentucky, 1-0 | vs. Mississippi State, First Meeting | vs. Vanderbilt, 2-0|
|GAME NOTES||Game Notes|
HOUSTON – Houston Baseball will take part in the Shriners Hospitals for Children College Classic at Minute Maid Park with three games set for the weekend, beginning with a matchup vs. No. 6 Kentucky at 3:30 p.m. Friday. The tournament will continue with a contest vs. No. 21 Mississippi State at 7 p.m. Saturday and conclude with a meeting vs. No. 5 Vanderbilt at 6 pm Sunday.
COLLEGE CLASSIC HISTORY
Houston will compete in the College Classic for the 17th season. The tournament will embark on its 18th year with 2017 being the only year Houston did not participate. The Cougars are 20-28 all-time in the tournament and have seen 28 players named to the All-Tournament Team.
2018 SHRINERS HOSPITALS FOR CHILDREN COLLEGE CLASSIC SCHEDULE
Friday, March 2
Vanderbilt at Sam Houston St. | 12:05 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Kentucky at Houston | 3:35 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet (Alt.)
Mississippi St. at UL-Lafayette | 7:05 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet (Alt.)
Saturday, March 3
Sam Houston St. at Kentucky | 12:05 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet (Alt.)
Vanderbilt at UL-Lafayette | 3:35 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Houston at Mississippi St. | 7:05 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Sunday, March 4
UL-Lafayette at Kentucky | 11:05 a.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Mississippi St. at Sam Houston St. | 2:35 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Houston at Vanderbilt | 6:05 p.m. | AT&T SportsNet
Adult and youth daily tickets and three-day tournament passes are available for purchase online at Astros.com/CollegeClassic and at the Astros box office. Fans can purchase premium tickets or group tickets, for groups of 20 or more, by calling 713-259-8030.
Daily tickets purchased in advance are available for $19 for adults and $10 for youth (ages 14 and under). Three-day tournament passes can be purchased for $42 for adults and $24 for youth. Select parking in the Astros controlled lots will be sold for $10 (Lot A).
- Houston is 5-2 on the year with back-to-back series wins vs. Holy Cross and at Cal State Fullerton.
- Houston is coming off a 4-3 walk off win over Texas Southern at Schroeder Park Tuesday.
- Junior LHP Trey Cumbie was named to the American Weekly Honor Roll after striking out 10 and allowing no runs on just one hit in 6.2 innings at Cal State Fullerton.
- Cumbie paces the staff with a 1.50 ERA and has 22 strikeouts in 12.0 innings.
- Houston pitching has struck out 83 hitters in 69.1 innings (seven games).
- Senior Connor Hollis and freshman Drew Minter lead the team with four doubles each.
- Sophomore Lael Lockhart Jr. leads the offense after six games with a .286 average and seven runs scored.
- With junior Joe Davis’ home run at CSF, he now has 23 in his career, moving him into a tie for 7th all-time.
- Junior LHP Aaron Fletcher leads the pitching staff in wins as he is 2-0 through his first two career starts.
- Junior RHP Ryan Randel earned his first win as a Houston Cougar at CSF.
- The pitching staff owns a 1.95 ERA and has held opponents to a .192 average.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Lael Lockhart Jr. | Sophomore | UTL/LHP
- Leads Houston with a .286 average and seven runs.
- Has a hit in all seven games this season.
- Has played left field, at designated hitter and made first career relief appearance at CSF.
Trey Cumbie | Junior | LHP
- Owns a 1.50 ERA, lowered his program-best career ERA to 1.75.
- Has struck out 22 in 12.0 innings for seventh-best in the nation.
- Also has a 22.0 strikeout-to-walk ratio (22 K, 1 BB) for third-best in the nation.
- Was named National Pitcher of the Week after his 12-strikeout outing vs. Holy Cross.
- Has recorded 10+ strikeouts in back-to-back starts.
KENTUCKY WILDCATS | Friday at 3:30 pm
- Kentucky enters the weekend 8-1 on the year with wins over Wofford, South Carolina-Upstate, Evansville, Oakland University and Western Kentucky.
- Hosted an NCAA Regional in Lexington in 2017; advanced to the NCAA Louisville Super Regional
- Kentucky will throw 2017 SEC Pitcher of the Year Sean Hjelle (0.66, 2-0, 13.2 IP, 2 BB, 16 K) vs. the Cougars.
- As a team, Kentucky is hitting .324 with 16 home runs and 75 RBI.
- Offensively, the Wildcats are led by Tristan Pompey’s .476 average, while T.J. Collett paces the team with 17 RBI and five home runs.
SERIES HISTORY vs. KENTUCKY
- Houston and Kentucky have played once in program history.
- The Cougars own the all-time series, 1-0.
- Last Time Out: March 5, 2011 | Houston 8, Kentucky 5 (Houston College Classic, MMP)
MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS | Saturday at 7 pm
- Mississippi State will meet Louisiana at 7 pm on Friday before playing the Cougars Saturday.
- The Bulldogs are 3-5 on the year and were swept at Southern Miss to open the 2018 season.
- Mississippi State is coming off a 6-3 loss at McNeese on Wednesday.
- In 2017, the Bulldogs won the NCAA Hattiesburg Regional to advance to the NCAA Baton Rouge Super Regional.
- As a team, the Bulldogs are hitting .274 as a team with six home runs and 43 RBI.
- Leading the way offensively is Jake Mangum with a .364 average, 12 hits and three extra base hits.
- Mississippi State’s pitching staff owns a 4.84 ERA and in 67.0 innings, the hurlers have fanned 73 and walked 30, while holding its opponents to a .272 average.
- LHP Ethan Small is set to make the start vs. the Cougars on Saturday. He is 1-1 with a 4.50 ERA and has struck out 14 in 10.0 innings with three walks.
SERIES HISTORY vs. MISSISSIPPI STATE
- Houston and Mississippi State will meet for the first time in program history.
VANDERBILT COMMODORES | Sunday at 6 pm
- Vanderbilt will play Sam Houston State on Friday and Louisiana on Saturday before meeting Houston in the tournament finale at 6 pm Sunday.
- The Commodores advanced to the NCAA Corvallis Super Regional after going on the road and winning the NCAA Clemson Regional in 2017.
- Vanderbilt was the 2014 NCAA National Champions and runner up in 2015.
- In 2018, the Commodores are 9-1 with series wins over Indiana State, Duke and UMass-Lowell.
- Vanderbilt is coming off two midweek wins over Austin Peay and Indiana State.
- The Commodores are hitting .352 as a team with 14 home runs and 96 RBI.
- As a pitching staff, the team owns a 2.00 ERA with 103 strikeouts and 27 walks in 90.0 innings pitched.
- Houston will face RHP Chandler Day on Sunday. He is 0-0 with a 3.00 ERA in two starts with 12 strikeouts in 9.0 innings.
SERIES HISTORY vs. VANDERBILT
- Houston and Vanderbilt have met twice previously (1990, 1999).
- The Cougars own the all-time series, 2-0, both wins coming at home.
- Last Time Out: Feb. 20, 1999 | Houston 4, Vanderbilt 3 (10) (Cougar Field)
PROBABLE STARTING PITCHERS
Houston: LHP Trey Cumbie (1.50 ERA, 0-0, 2 GS, 12.0 IP, 22 K, 1 BB)
Kentucky: RHP Sean Hjelle (0.66 ERA, 2-0, 2 GS, 13.2 IP, 16 K, 2 BB)
Houston: LHP Aaron Fletcher (1.64 ERA, 2-0, 2 GS, 11.0 IP, 11 K, 4 BB)
Mississippi State: LHP Ethan Small (4.50 ERA, 1-1, 2 GS, 10.0 IP, 14 K, 3 BB)
Houston: RHP Ryan Randel (2.38 ERA, 1-0, 2 GS, 11.1 IP, 10 K, 2 BB)
Vanderbilt: RHP Chandler Day (3.00 ERA, 0-0, 2 GS, 9.0 IP, 12 K, 3 BB)
Following the weekend at Minute Maid Park, the Cougars will host five home games at Schroeder Park, beginning with two midweek games vs. Houston Baptist (Tuesday, March 6) and McNeese (Wednesday, March 7). Houston will then host San Diego in a three-game series, beginning Friday, March 9 at 6:30 p.m.
Season Tickets, single game tickets and the Flex 20 plan are all available for purchase. To purchase tickets, visit uhcougars.com/tickets or call 713-GO-COOGS.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /UHCougarBB. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.