Preview: Baseball Begins Five-Game Homestand with Penn State
March 4, 2013
HOUSTON -- Set for a five-game home slate this week, the University of Houston Baseball team will continue non-conference play by hosting Penn State in a two-game slate at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday and 4 p.m. Wednesday at Cougar Field for the first meeting between the two schools in program history.
The Cougars hold a season record of 8-3 and are coming off a successful 3-1 week, which included wins over No. 30 Texas A&M and Baylor at the Astros Foundation College Classic and Houston Baptist at Cougar Field.
TIME OF GAME NOTE
Wednesday's game will be played at 4 p.m. instead of the regular 6:30 p.m. start. This time change was made to accommodate fans wishing to support the Houston Men's Hoops team in its final home game of 2013 vs. Rice at 7 p.m. in Hofheinz Pavilion.
LAST TIME OUT
Houston returns to play having dropped its weekend finale to Cal, 13-2 at Minute Maid Park. The Cougars earned two wins in the competitive College Classic. During last week's four games, Houston was led by freshman Justin Montemayor's .375 average on six hits, including two-multi-hit games en route to being named Conference USA Hitter of the Week.
THREE IN A ROW
Montemayor's C-USA honor was the third straight for Houston Baseball to open up the 2013 season. Fellow freshman Josh Vidales and senior Austin Pruitt earned the honors the previous two weeks.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .260 as a team and has notched at least eight hits in eight of its first 11 games
· Led by junior Jonathan Davis' .367 average and .567 slugging percentage
· Freshmen Kyle Kirk (.324), Justin Montemayor (.308) and Josh Vidales (.300) are all hitting over .300 and have combined for 35 hits, 24 runs and 17 RBI
· Junior Caleb Barker leads the team in RBI with 10, while Davis and Kirk each have eight
· Houston leads C-USA in walks with 50 as a team, led by Vidales with 11 and junior Frankie Ratcliff with 10
· Cougars have only committed 14 errors for a .966 fielding percentage, compared to their opponents' .950 and 21 errors
· Houston pitching staff holds a 3.75 ERA in 96.0 innings
· Cougars are led by junior Chase Wellbrock's 1.59 ERAA in 11.1 innings in relief
· Senior starter Austin Pruitt holds a 1.71 ERA and a 3-0 record with a team-best 21 strikeouts in 21.0 innings
· Sophomore Aaron Garza is 1-0 with a 2.45 ERA in 11.0 innings pitched during midweek action
· Freshman Jake Lemoine continues his scoreless inning streak with a 2-0 record and a 0.00 ERA through 8.1 innings in relief
· Cougar pitchers have only allowed 26 walks to their opponents' 50
QUICK HITS ON PENN STATE
· Penn State enters the mid-week series with a 3-6 record, earning two wins last weekend at the UTSA Collegiate Baseball Classic
· The Nittany Lions are coming off a 3-0 win over Nebraska-Omaha
· Penn State, as a team, is hitting .238, led by Taylor Skerpon's .417 clip, while J.C. Coban has drive in seven RBI
· The pitching staff holds a 4.44 ERA with three saves in 73.0 innings pitched
· Ryan Harper leads the team with a 1.46 ERA and 1-0 record in 12.1 innings with one start
· Jack Anderson has tossed 5.0 scoreless innings for a team-high two saves
· Houston and Penn State will meet for the first time in program history on Tuesday/Wednesday
· Penn State is one of four first-time 2013 opponents for Houston - others include Northeastern, Seton Hall and Harvard
For single-game ticket information, contact the Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS (462-6647).