Preview: Baseball Welcomes Texas A&M-CC to Town for Three-Game Set
March 7, 2013
HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball will look to continue its winning ways when it welcomes Texas A&M-Corpus Christi to Cougar Field for a three-game set, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. The series will continue at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and conclude at 1 p.m. Sunday.
The Cougars come into the weekend series with a record of 10-3 - the best 13-game start since the program was 10-3 back in 2000. Houston is riding a three-game win streak at home and is 5-1 on the year at Cougar Field.
LAST TIME OUT
Houston returns to play after hosting Penn State in a two-game midweek series at Cougar Field on Tuesday and Wednesday. The Cougars took both from the Nittany Lions, 14-8 and 15-5. Freshman Ashford Fulmer hit .667 (4x6) with three runs scored and three RBI to pace the offensive attack. Sophomore Michael Pyeatt was 3-for-3 with two RBI in Game 2, while junior Frankie Ratcliff drove in four over the two-game span. As a team, Houston drew 20 walks for an on-base percentage of .489. On the bump, freshman Jake Lemoine (3-0) and junior Tyler Ford (1-0) each earned wins out of the pen, combining for 8.1 innings for Houston.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· The Cougars rank first in C-USA in runs scored (91), on-base percentage (.384), RBI (80), triples (4), plate appearances (539), walks (70), sacrifice bunts (16), sacrifice flies (12), wins (10) and low-walks allowed (29)
· Houston is hitting .276 as a team
· Five Cougars are hitting over .300, led by junior Jonathan Davis' .387, followed by sophomore Michael Pyeatt's .375, freshmen Justin Montemayor's .333 and Kyle Kirk's .326 and junior Caleb Barker's .314
· Houston has drawn 70 walks with junior Frankie Ratcliff leading C-USA with 15, followed by freshman Josh Vidales with 14
· Barker paces Houston with 13 RBI, while Kirk and Ratcliff add 11
· Houston is fielding .965 as a team with just 17 errors in 13 games
· Pitching staff leads C-USA in walks allowed with just 29 total, compared to their opponents' 70
· Senior starter Austin Pruitt is 3-0 with a 1.71 ERA in 21.0 innings pitched with 21 strikeouts
· Freshman Jake Lemoine is also 3-0, but all three wins have come out of the pen - he currently holds a perfect 0.00 ERA in 11.1 innings tossed
· Other starters with wins are sophomore Aaron Garza (3.52, 1-0, 15.1 IP, 12 K, 0 BB) and senior Matt Hernandez (6.75, 1-1, 10.2 IP, 6 K, 2 BB)
· Out of the pen, the Cougars have received wins by juniors Daniel Smith (3.00, 1-0) and Tyler Ford (4.15, 1-0).
QUICK HITS ON TEXAS A&M-CORPUS CHRISTI
· Texas A&M-Corpus Christi enters the weekend series with an 8-5 record - having won five straight games, including a sweep over Dallas Baptist last weekend
· The Islanders are hitting .280 as a team, led by Kyle Danford's .423 avergae
· Eric Weiss paces the team with nine RBI, while Brad Porras has six doubles and a .333 average
· Pitching staff holds an ERA of 4.31 with three saves in 117.0 innings
· The Islanders have struck out 117 hitters and walked 49
· RHP Trevor Foss is 2-1 with a 0.78 ERA in 23.0 innings pitched with 29 strikeouts
· RHP Jacob Dorris has collected two saves in 9.1 innings with an ERA of 2.89
Houston and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi will meet for just the second time in program history on Friday night. The two teams last met in a Feb. 21, 2012 midweek game last year as the Islanders earned a 3-2 win over the Cougars.
Single-game tickets begin as low as $6 for youth and $8 for adults in general admission seating (Level 200) and as low as $8 for youth and $10 for adults in reserved seating (Level 100). Premium games for the Cougars will include the Baylor-New Orleans weekend, which runs from March 15-17, Texas on March 19 and the Rice series on April 19-21. Premium games begin as low as $8 for youth and $10 for adults in general admission seating (Level 200) and as low as $12 for youth and $15 for adults in reserved seating (Level 100).
For single-game ticket information, contact the Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS (462-6647) or visit the Tickets tab on UHCougars.com.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Following the weekend series, Houston will make its first of just two midweek away games in the month of March when it travels to Waco to take on Baylor at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, March 12.