|HOUSTON (9-5) vs. MCNEESE (12-4)|
|LOCATION||Schroeder Park | Houston, Texas|
|GAMEDAY CENTRAL||GAMEDAY CENTRAL|
|SERIES HISTORY||Houston and McNeese have met 63 times.|
|SERIES RECORD||Houston owns series, 49-14.|
|GAME NOTES||Game Notes|
HOUSTON – Houston Baseball returns home to host the next four games, beginning with a Tuesday midweek matchup vs. McNeese slated to begin at 6:30 p.m. at Schroeder Park.
To purchase tickets, visit uhcougars.com/tickets or call 713-GO-COOGS. Gates open two hours prior to first pitch.
- $2 MIDWEEKS | $2 tickets and $2 hot dogs every Tuesday and Wednesday home game
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
- Houston enters the week with a 9-5 record and is hitting .274 on the year.
- Houston is led offensively by Jake Scheiner’s .346 average, 18 hits, seven doubles and 12 RBI.
- Cougars are 15-for-20 on the base paths, led by Connor Wong with seven stolen bases.
- Houston’s pitching owns a 1.98 ERA with 123 strikeouts to just 29 walks in 123.0 innings.
- Sophomore Trey Cumbie leads the staff with a 0.64 ERA and is 1-0 in midweek starts.
- Junior ace Seth Romero has fanned 45 hitters in 26.0 innings and has tallied at least 10 strikeouts in all four starts this season.
- Senior John King, this week’s American Pitcher of the Week, is 2-0 with a miniscule 0.72 ERA in three starts. He is coming off his second straight complete game and first complete game shutout, which happened at No. 10 Baylor last Sunday.
- Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park is home to 29 home games this season and the Cougars are currently 6-2 in games played in this ballpark.
- Head coach Todd Whitting begins his seventh season. He owns a Houston record of 217-155-1 and has led the Cougars to two NCAA Regional appearances, a conference tournament title (2014) and a conference regular-season title (2015).
HOUSTON’S LAST AT-BAT
- Houston went 2-2 last week with an 8-0 shutout win over Prairie View A&M and a 1-2 weekend at No. 10 Baylor.
- The Cougars ended the weekend on a high note, led by a complete game shutout by senior John King, holding Baylor to just three hits, no walks with five strikeouts.
- Houston starting pitching last week held Baylor and PVAMU to three earned runs in 28.2 combined innings, while fanning 31 hitters and walking just eight.
- Jake Schreiner led the Cougars at the plate with a .429 average, six hits, three doubles, five RBI – including the game-winner in the ninth in the series finale at Baylor.
QUICK HITS ON MCNEESE
- McNeese are winners of eight straight games and own an overall record of 12-4.
- The Cowboys are 4-4 on the road this season, but have won every midweek contest this season, including a 5-4 win over then-No. 6 LSU last week.
- McNeese is coming off a three-game Southland Conference sweep of Central Arkansas on the road this past weekend.
- The Cowboys are hitting .326 as a team, led by Matt Gallier’s .407 clip and 24 hits. He is followed by Shane Selman, who is hitting .386.
- The pitching staff owns a 4.34 ERA and has tallied 136 strikeouts and 70 walks in 141.0 innings.
- Grant Anderson is 2-0 with a 0.55 ERA in eight appearances out of the bullpen, while Rhett Deaton is also 2-0 with a 1.66 ERA in four starts.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MCNEESE
- Houston and McNeese have met 63 previous times.
- The Cougars own a 49-14 record over the Cowboys, dating back to 1971.
- The two teams will meet twice this season (at UH: 3/14, at MCN: 5/16)
- Last Meeting: May 11, 2016 | Houston won 3-2 at Schroeder Park
HOUSTON PLAYER TO WATCH
Jake Scheiner | Junior | SS/2B
- Led Cougars at the plate with a .429 average in the last four games.
- Ranked third in the American with seven doubles
Following Tuesday’s matchup with McNeese, the Cougars will remain at home to host a three-game weekend series with Alabama State at Schroeder Park.
Fans can follow along via live audio, live video or GT at UHCougars.com/gameday.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS
Single game tickets are on sale at uhcougars.com/tickets. Fans can enjoy a few single game tickets options for the 29 homes games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park during the 2017 season.
SUNDAY FAMILY PACK
A Family Pack for Four for just $30 to any Sunday game at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park in 2017 in also available.
The Family Pack features four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and four popcorns to any Sunday home game for $30.
In order to purchase this deal, the purchaser must CLICK HERE use the promo code: FAMILYPACK.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.