PREVIEW: Baseball to Host UNO, Baylor at Cougar Field this Weekend
March 14, 2013
HOUSTON -- University of Houston Baseball will begin an eight-game homestand this weekend when it welcomes New Orleans and Baylor to Cougar Field. The Cougars will host the Privateers on Friday (6:30 pm) and Sunday (1 pm) and Baylor on Saturday (6:30 pm).
Cougar Field will also host two non-UH (Baylor vs. UNO) games on Friday and Saturday afternoon, with game times slated to begin at 2 p.m. before Houston takes on the two respective teams following at 6:30 p.m. on both evenings.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is 13-4 on the year and 7-2 at Cougar Field
· Cougars won at Baylor on Tuesday night, 5-3
· Houston has recorded its best 17-game start since a 16-1 mark back in 1993
· Cougars are hitting .278 this season, led by six players hitting over .300
· Junior Caleb Barker leads the team in hits (22) and RBI (19) and is tied in HR (2)
· Junior Frankie Ratcliff paces C-USA in walks (18), while freshman Josh Vidales is second (15)
· Junior Jonathan Davis leads the team in average (.387), while sophomore Michael Pyeatt follows (.370)
· Cougar pitching staff holds a 3.66 ERA with four saves and 13 wins
· Freshman Jake Lemoine (4-0) leads the team with four wins, while senior Austin Pruitt (3-1) follows with three
· Juniors Tyler Ford, Dylan Rucker, Chase Wellbrock and freshman Grant Slaughter all have one save for four total
· Houston has walked just 37, while fanning 104
QUICK HITS ON NEW ORLEANS
· New Orleans enters the weekend with a 3-14 record
· The Privateers swept its midweek series with Alcorn State
· UNO is hitting .242 with 136 hits and 50 RBI
· Privateers are led by Andre Damiens' .391 average, 18 hits, while Zacary Hawkins paces the team in RBI with nine
· The team has 51 walks to its 145 strikeouts
· Pitching staff holds a 7.15 ERA with three wins and no saves
· RHP Alex Smith (0-4) paces the team in ERA (3.60) and 35.0 innings pitched with 24 strikeouts
· RHP Blake Prest is 0-3 with four starts and 22.0 innings with eight strikeouts
QUICK HITS ON BAYLOR
· Baylor enters the weekend with a 7-10 record and an 0-3 mark away from Baylor Ballpark
· The Bears are hitting .252, led by Nathan Orf's .419 clip, team-best 26 hits and 11 runs scored
· Cal Towey has drive in 17 on his .258 average
· Bears have drawn 57 walks and struck out 113 times, while committing 25 errrs for a .963 fielding percentage
· Baylor pitching holds an ERA of 4.32 with three saves
· RHP Dillon Newman paces the team with a 2-0 record and a 1.82 ERA in 24.2 innings pitched
· RHP Max Garner is 1-2 with a 2.86 ERA with a team-high 21 strikeouts in 28.1 innings
· RHP Ryan Smith has recorded three saves to lead the Bears
· As a staff, Baylor has walked 80 hitters and fanned 102
Houston: RHP Daniel Poncedeleon (1-2, 3.32 ERA)
UNO: RHP Blake Prest (0-3, 6.55 ERA)
Houston: RHP Austin Pruitt (3-1, 2.51 ERA)
Baylor: RHP Max Garner (1-2, 2.86)
UNO: RHP Alex Smith (0-4, 3.60 ERA)
· vs. NEW ORLEANS
o Houston and New Orleans will meet for just the second time in program history and first time ever at C Cougar Field this Friday. The Privateers won the two's only meeting back on Feb. 17, 1995 in an 8-2 contest at the Winn-Dixie Showdown in New Orleans.
· vs. BAYLOR
o Houston and Baylor's all-time history stands among the Top 5 in games played in the Cougar record books. The Cougars and Bears will meet for the 150th time on Saturday and third time this year. Baylor currently leads the all-time series, 87-62, but Houston has won both meetings in 2013.
o The three meetings between Houston and Baylor (all played at different ballparks - Minute Maid Park, Baylor and Cougar Field) marks the first time since 2007 that the Cougars have played one opponent in three different locations in one season outside of Conference play. Houston met UTSA in 2007 at the College Classic, at UTSA and at a neutral site (Riverside Park in Victoria, Texas).
Fans who purchase tickets for Friday will be granted access for both games that day (UNO/Baylor - 2 pm, UNO/Houston - 6:30 pm). The same applies for Saturday's contests (UNO/Baylor - 2 pm, Baylor/Houston - 6:30 pm) at Cougar Field - essentially purchasing a day's pass.
Fans can visit UHCougars.com or visit this link HERE to purchase tickets or by calling the Houston Athletics Ticket Office at (713) GO-COOGS.