March 18, 2013
HOUSTON -- Coming off a perfect 4-0 week, Houston Baseball will look to continue its winning ways when it plays host to the Texas Longhorns at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday for the first meeting since 2000 at Cougar Field. Houston will then continue play at 5 p.m. Wednesday vs. Harvard.
Click here to watch the game live in Cougars All-Access.
|AT A GLANCE||SERIES HISTORY|
All-Time: Two teams will meet for the 123rd time on Tuesday and first time at Cougar Field since 2000. |
Series History: Texas owns the all-time series, 90-30-2.
Last Meeting: Houston earned a 1-0 win over the Longhorns on March 6, 2010 at the College Classic.
|Tue., March 19||6:30 p.m. // TV: None||Notes|
ª GAMEDAY CENTRAL
ª GAME NOTES
Houston: RHP Aaron Garza (2-0, 3.43 ERA)
Texas: RHP Chad Hollingsworth (3-0, 2.65 ERA)
|Houston and Texas will meet for the first of two meetings this season. The Cougars look to improve to 6-0 in midweek games.|
Houston is riding a five-game winning streak and has won eight of its last nine. The Cougars hold a 16-4 overall record and a 10-2 mark at home. The 20-game record of 16-4 is the best start for Houston since an 18-2 mark back in 1993.
**Note: Game Time Change on Wednesday: Houston will now host Harvard at 5 p.m. Wednesday instead of 6:30 p.m. to accommodate fans wishing to attend both the baseball game and the Men's Hoops game vs. Texas at Hofheinz Pavilion at 8 p.m. in the First Round of the CBI.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Leads Conference USA in average (.296), on base percentage (.392), runs (139), hits (197), RBI (120), triples (9), walks (96), sac bunts (25), sac flies (13)
· Sophomore Michael Pyeatt leads Houston with a .429 average
· Junior Jonathan Davis follows with a .387 clip
· Freshmen Kyle Kirk (.338), Justin Montemayor (.333), Josh Vidales (.329) and junior Caleb Barker (.325) are all hitting over .300
· Barker paces the team in RBI with 24 - a C-USA high by six.
· Montemayor leads the Cougars with 27 hits
· Ratcliff has drawn a C-USA high 19 walks and hit a C-USA best three triples
· Pitching staff holds a 3.46 ERA with 16 wins and four saves
· RHP Aaron Garza is 2-0 with a 3.43 ERA in four game starts with 14 strikeouts
· Freshman Jake Lemoine (4-0) and senior Austin Pruitt (4-1) have combined for eight of Houston's wins
· Staff has fanned 130 and walked just 41 - a C-USA best by 18 walks
QUICK HITS ON TEXAS
· Is 12-7 and coming off a Big 12 series loss to Texas Tech
· Texas is hitting .258 as a team with 67 RBI and 153 hits
· Mark Payton leads the way with a .409 average, 15 RBI and four triples
· Erich Weiss follows with a .348 average and a team-high 11 runs scored
· Longhorns have drawn 67 walks and struck out 113
· Has only committed 14 errors in 19 games for a .981 fielding percentage
· Pitching staff holds a 2.51 ERA with 12 wins and four saves
· RHP Chad Hollingsworth is 3-0 in eight appearances and three starts
· Staff has fanned 115 hitters and walked just 47
· RHP Corey Knebel leads team with three saves
SERIES HISTORY vs. TEXAS
· Houston and Texas will meet for the 123rd time in the history of the program.
· The Longhorns hold the advantage at 90-30-2 over the Cougars.
· This meeting will mark the 50th meeting at Cougar Field with Texas owning the record at 31-17-1.
· Texas has not played at Cougar Field since Feb. 29, 2000 in an 8-7 Longhorn win.
· The last meeting between the two schools came in a 1-0 Houston win back on March 6, 2010 at the College Classic at Minute Maid Park.
· The last four meetings between the two schools have come at a neutral site.
· Houston head coach Todd Whitting (Houston), assistant coach Trip Couch (Houston), and pitching coach Frank Anderson (Texas) were all assistant coaches during the 2000 season with Whitting and Couch at Houston and Anderson at Texas- coaching against one another in the last contest played here at Cougar Field.
PROBABLE STARTERS vs. TEXAS
Houston: RHP Aaron Garza | 2-0 | 3.43 | 14 K | 2 BB
Texas: RHP Chad Hollingsworth | 3-0 | 2.65 | 9 K | 7 BB
GAME INFORMATION FOR HOUSTON-TEXAS GAME
· Gates to Cougar Field will open at 5 p.m. - 1.5 hours from first pitch at 6:30 p.m.
· University of Houston Track & Field senior and NCAA Champion Errol Nolan will throw out the game's ceremonial first pitch
o NCAA National Champion in the men's 400-meter dash with a time of 45.75.
o Broke the school record in the prelims with a time of 45.72.
o Three-time C-USA Champion in the men's 200m & 400m
o Three-time All-American (twice in the 400m; once in the 4x400)
o 2012 London Olympian (Jamaica)
· All RESERVED TICKETS for Tuesday's game are SOLD OUT.
· General Admission seating is still available, which will give you access to the upper level seating at Cougar Field, along with seating and standing room only on the hills along the first and third base lines.
**Note: General Admission seating and on the hills is FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE seating.
· General Admission pricing for the game is $10 for adults and $8 for youth (ages 3-HS).
To purchase General Admission tickets, click HERE or call the Houston Athletics Ticket Office at (713) GO-COOGS.
· Tickets are available for purchase until 3 p.m. on Tuesday, March 19 online at UHCougars.com and until 5 p.m. at the Main Box Office inside the Athletics/Alumni Center.
· After 5 p.m., all remaining available tickets will be sold at the Box Office at Cougar Field.
**Note: University of Houston students receive FREE admission with a valid student ID. Student seats are available in Section 108 of the Reserved section.
The following lots will be available starting at 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday.
Lots are located near the Elgin and Cullen intersection across the street from Cougar Field.
QUICK HITS ON HARVARD
· Houston and Harvard will meet for the first time in school history.
· The Crimson will meet Texas A&M-CC and McNeese State before Wednesday's game.
· Harvard is 1-9 prior to Monday evening's contest.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
The Cougars will open Conference USA play this weekend by hosting East Carolina in a three-game series (Fri/Sat - 6:30 pm; Sun - 1 pm) at Cougar Field.