March 25, 2013
HOUSTON -- Looking to continue its strong play of late, No. 19 University of Houston Baseball will take its success on the road when it meets Lamar at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in Beaumont for a midweek showdown.
All-Time: Houston and Lamar will meet for the 87th time in school history. |
Series History: Houston leads the all-time series, 60-26.
Last Meeting: The last meeting between the two schools came back on April 10, 2012 in a 4-3 win for Houston at Cougar Field.
The Cougars are coming off a series sweep over Conference USA foe East Carolina and are currently riding a 10-game winning streak. Houston holds a record of 21-4 through the first 25 games and has cracked the Top 25 polls for the first time since 2006.
The 21-4 record is the best start since 1989 when the Cougars logged a 23-2 record through the first 25 games of the season.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .296 as a team, led by freshmen Kyle Kirk (.347) and Justin Montemayor (.337).
· Junior Caleb Barker paces the team in RBI with 24 and homeruns with three, while junior Frankie Ratcliff has 21 RBIs and a team-best 23 walks.
· Kirk is riding a 10-game hit streak, dating back to the March 10 win over Texas A&M-CC at Cougar Field.
· Freshman Josh Vidales has reached base safely in now 19 consecutive games, dating back to the 4-2 win at Texas State back on Feb. 24.
· Houston has drawn 122 walks and 20 hit-by-pitches for 6.0 free passes a game.
· The team leads C-USA in average (.296), on-base percentage (.392), hits (245), runs (167), RBI (143), triples (15), walks (122), sac flies (15) and sac bunts (31).
· Pitching staff holds an ERA of 3.11 with 21 wins and six saves.
· Senior Austin Pruitt paces the staff with a 5-1 record, 2.36 ERA and 46 strikeouts in 45.2 innings pitched.
· Freshman Jake Lemoine is 4-0 with a 1.53 ERA, while sophomore Aaron Garza is 3-0 with a 2.73 ERA in five midweek starts.
· Also notching three wins is junior Daniel Poncedeleon (3-2, 3.28) and senior Matt Hernandez (3-1, 4.60).
· Leading the team in saves and relief innings is junior Chase Wellbrock with three saves in 18.1 innings in eight appearances, while junior Tyler Ford is 2-0 with one save in a team-high nine appearances out of the pen.
· Houston pitchers have walked just 61, while fanning 180.
IN THE POLLS
· USA Today/ESPN - No. 19
· Baseball America - No. 20
· "Collegiate Baseball" Newspaper - No. 20
· Perfect Game - No. 22
· NCBWA - No. 22
QUICK HITS ON LAMAR
· Lamar holds a solid record at 20-6 and is 18-4 at home this season.
· The Cardinals are coming off a Southland Conference series loss to McNeese last weekend.
· The team is hitting .296 with 265 hits and 141 RBI, led by Darian Johnson's .400 average and 44 hits.
· Seth Dornak leads the team with 20 RBI, while V.J. Bunner has scored 28 times.
· The team has drawn 115 walks and struck out 148 times.
· Pitching staff holds a 3.43 ERA with 20 wins and four saves.
· Eric Harrington (4-0) and David Carver (4-1) both have four wins, while Jonathan Dziedzic holds a team-low ERA of 2.38 in six starts.
· Staff has walked 87 hitters and fanned 188 and opponents are hitting .238.
· Houston and Lamar will meet for the 87th time in school history on Tuesday.
· The Cougars own the series, 60-26, and have won seven of the last 11 meetings.
· The last meeting between the two schools came back on April 10, 2012 in a 4-3 win for Houston at Cougar Field.
· The two schools met last in Beaumont back on April 6, 2011 in a 5-2 loss for the Cougars.
· Houston is 18-12 all-time on the road at Lamar.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Houston will travel to Memphis for a three-game Conference USA series beginning on Friday at 6:30 p.m., followed by a 2 p.m. contest on Saturday and a series final at 1 p.m. Sunday.