PREVIEW: Baseball Travels to Memphis for Three-Game C-USA Series
March 28, 2013
HOUSTON -- University of Houston Baseball will travel outside the state of Texas for the first time this season when it takes on Memphis in a three-game C-USA series this weekend, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. at FedEx Park.
The series will continue at 2 p.m. Saturday and conclude at 12:30 p.m. Sunday to wrap up the month of March.
Houston is coming off a 6-3 road loss at Lamar, but still holds an impressive 21-5 record and a 3-0 mark in Conference USA play and are winners of 13 of its last 15 to sit atop the standings with UCF heading into the second week of league play.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .290 as a team with five players hitting over .300, led by freshmen Justin Montemayor (.343), Kyle Kirk (.333) and Josh Vidales (.324).
· Montemayor leads the team with 36 hits, 23 runs and a .448 slugging percentage.
· Junior Caleb Barker paces the team with 24 RBI and three homeruns, while junior Frankie Ratcliff leads the team with 23 walks and 10 extra base hits, including four triples.
· Houston was drawn a C-USA-best 125 walks and holds an on-base percentage of .387.
· The Cougar pitching staff holds a 3.12 ERA with 21 wins and six saves.
· Senior Austin Pruitt has a club-best five wins with a 5-1 record, a 2.36 ERA and two complete games. In 45.2 innings pitched, Pruitt has fanned 46 strikeouts.
· Junior Daniel Poncedeleon is 3-2 with a 3.28 ERA in 35.2 innings pitched with 34 strikeouts, while freshman Jake Lemoine is 4-0 with a team-low 1.53 ERA in three starts and eight total appearances.
· Out of the pen, junior Chase Wellbrock has three saves and a 3.93 ERA, while junior Tyler Ford is 2-0 with one save and a 2.35 ERA in a team-leading nine appearances.
· The staff has fanned 185 hitters and walked just 66 in 231.0 total innings.
· Opponents are hitting just .257 against the Cougar pitching staff.
QUICK HITS ON MEMPHIS
· Memphis is 14-11, 10-8 at home and 1-2 in Conference USA play entering the weekend series.
· The Tigers are coming off a 6-4 win over Middle Tennessee State on Wednesday. They dropped their least C-USA series at Tulane, 1-2.
· Memphis is hitting .272 with 225 hits and 124 RBI, led by Keaton Aldridge's .329 average.
· Tucker Tubbs (.307) and Drew Griffin (.239) lead the team with 17 RBI each, while Zach Willis has a team-leading 19 runs scored.
· Memphis has walked 85 times and struck out 150 times.
· The pitching staff holds a 2.83 ERA with 14 wins and six saves.
· Starters Alex Gunn (1.52, 1-2), Erik Schoenrock (2.21, 3-1) and Sam Moll (2.78, 4-1) have combined for eight wins and 106 strikeouts in 106.2 innings.
· The staff has fanned 207 hitters and walked 83, while holds opponents to a .235 average.
· Houston and Memphis will meet for the 49th time in school history on Friday.
· The Cougars own the series, 36-12 since it began back in 1997.
· The last meeting between the two schools came back on May 25, 2012 in the C-USA Championship with Houston winning 7-3 in Pearl, Miss.
· Memphis has won the last two series (2012 (2-1) and 2011 (2-1) over Houston.
· Houston is 14-7 all-time at Memphis.
Houston: RHP Daniel Poncedeleon (3-2, 3.28 ERA)
Memphis: LHP Sam Moll (4-1, 2.78 ERA)
Houston: RHP Austin Pruitt (5-1, 2.36)
Memphis: LHP Erik Schoenrock (3-1, 2.21)
Memphis: LHP Alex Gunn (1-2, 1.52)
COOGS RANKED IN THE NATIONAL POLLS