April 15, 2013
HOUSTON – University of Houston Baseball will continue its homestand with five games this week, beginning with Texas Southern Tuesday and McNeese State Wednesday. Both midweek games are slated to begin at 6:30 p.m. at Cougar Field.
ª GAMEDAY CENTRAL
Texas Southern TBA
Houston and Texas Southern will meet for the 24th time in school history. The Cougars own the series, 23-0.
ª GAMEDAY CENTRAL
McNeese State: TBA
Houston and McNeese State will meet for the 57th time in school history. The Cougars own the series at 43-13.
The Cougars enter the week with a 25-11 overall record despite dropping two of three with Seton Hall this past weekend.QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .272 as a team, led by freshmen Justin Montemayor
(.314), Kyle Kirk
(.312) and sophomore Michael Pyeatt
(.303) each with .300 or better averages.
· The Cougars are average 8.8 hits per game and 5.7 runs per game through their first 36 games.
· Juniors Caleb Barker
(29) and Frankie Ratcliff
(27) pace the team in RBI, while Ratcliff (30) and freshman Josh Vidales
(28) have drawn 58 combined walks.
· Houston has hit 11 homeruns, led by Montemayor and Barker with three each, while Ratcliff has belted two.
· The Cougars have stolen 51-of-60 bases, led by freshman Kyle Survance’s 12-of-12 effort.
· Houston’s pitching staff holds a 3.55 ERA with 25 wins and eight saves.
· Senior Austin Pruitt
leads the team in ERA (1.99), wins (7-2), complete games (3), innings (68.0), and strikeouts (66).
· Starters Jake Lemoine
(5-2, 2.01), Aaron Garza
(3-2, 3.23) and Daniel Poncedeleon
(4-3, 4.28) have combined for 12 wins.
· Junior Chase Wellbrock
, out of the pen, leads the team with five saves. He joins junior Tyler Ford
with a team-high 13 appearances.
· The staff has struck out 244 hitters and walked just 97.
QUICK HITS ON TEXAS SOUTHERN
· Texas Southern is 16-16 this season and 7-10 away from their home ballpark.
· The Tigers are hitting .263 as a team, led by Ellis Stephney’s .350 clip and 20 RBI.
· Texas Southern is averaging 8.7 hits per game and 5.2 runs per game.
· The team is 65-for-82 in stolen bases, led by a 19-of-22 effort by Jerry Ford II.
· Tigers’ pitching staff holds a 4.07 ERA with 16 wins and eight saves.
· Robert Pearson (4-2, 3.12) and Jacob Martinez (4-0, 3.15) have a combined eight wins for the Tigers.
· Michael Starkey leads the team with four saves.
· The staff has struck out 205 hitters and walked 131.
· Texas Southern is coming off a series win over Southern, taking two of three.
SERIES HISTORY vs. TEXAS SOUTHERN
· Houston and Texas Southern will meet for the 24th time in school history.
· The Cougars have never lost to the Tigers, owning a 23-0 record.
· The series began back on April 14, 1987 in a 20-10 win for Houston.
· The last meeting between the two schools came on May 9, 2011 in a 13-3 win for the Cougars at Cougar Field.
· They have only played one game of the series away from Houston’s home ballpark – a 15-3 win on April 17, 1995.
QUICK HITS ON MCNEESE STATE
· McNeese State enters Wednesday’s contest with a 19-15 record and a 4-7 record on the road.
· The Cowboys are hitting .270 as a team, led by Jackson Gooch’s .319 clip and 26 RBI.
· The team is averaging 9.3 hits per game and 5.4 runs per game.
· McNeese hitters have struck out 207 times and walked 111 times, while stealing 22-of-37 bases.
· McNeese State pitching holds and ERA of 4.15, led by Blake Ware’s team-best 2.44 as a starter.
· Bryce Kingsley, in nine starts, has earned a team-high six wins for a 6-3 record.
· Out of the pen, Lucas Quary and Sam Peterson each have four saves to lead the club.
· The staff has fanned 188 hitters and walked 144, while allowing opposing hitters a .259 clip against them.
SERIES HISTORY vs. MCNEESE STATE
· Houston and McNeese State will meet for the 57th time in school history on Wednesday.
· The Cougars own the all-times series over the Cowboys, 43-13 and have won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the two clubs.
· The last win came a year ago as Houston won 4-1 at Cougar Field on April 3. McNeese and Houston split the 2011 non-conference series, 1-1, as the Cowboys earned their only win over the Cougars since 1997.
· The series began with a 4-2 win for Houston back on March 15, 1971 at home.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
To purchase single-game tickets, CLICK HERE or call the Houston Athletics Ticket Office at (713) GO-COOGS.
DIAMOND DOZEN TICKET PACKAGE
Houston Baseball fans can take advantage of the Diamond Dozen package, which provides you 12 general admission anytime tickets for just $84 that can be used anytime during the remaining 12 home games at Cougar Field.
You can use all 12 tickets at a single game; spread them out over 12 different games, or any combination in between. Each general admission anytime ticket can be used for any of the remaining regular season home games on the 2013 schedule.
The Diamond Dozen deal can be purchased for just $84 - a value over $100. CLICK HERE to purchase TODAY, visit UHCougars.com/diamonddozen or call the Houston Athletics Ticket Office at 713-GO-COOGS to get your Diamond Dozen package before it is too late!
Houston will wrap up its eight-game homestand this weekend when it welcomes C-USA foe, Rice to Cougar Field for a three-game series. The series is slated to begin Friday at 6:30 p.m., continue Saturday at 12:30 p.m. and wrap up at 1 p.m. Sunday.
Note: Saturday’s game will be televised on Fox Sports Net.