|HOUSTON (25-10) vs. SAM HOUSTON STATE (25-11)|
|LOCATION||Constellation Field | Sugar Land, Texas|
|GAMEDAY CENTRAL||GAMEDAY CENTRAL|
|WATCH LIVE||No video|
|SERIES HISTORY||Houston and Sam Houston State have met 160 previous times.|
|SERIES RECORD||Houston leads all-time series, 81-79.|
|GAME NOTES||Game Notes|
HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball returns to action Tuesday when it meets Sam Houston State at Constellation Field in Sugar Land for the first game of the Don Sanders Cup. First pitch is slated for 7 p.m.
Tickets for Tuesday's game at Constellation Field are $11 each and on sale through www.SugarLandSkeeters.com or by calling 281-240-4487.
Houston will be the designated home team and will occupy the third base dugout.
Tickets can also be purchased by calling 281-240-4487 or by visiting the TDECU Ticket Office here at Constellation Field. The ticket office is open Monday-Friday from 9AM-5PM.
Parking will be $5 and cash only. Gates open at 6 p.m.
For more information on tickets, parking, general game information, visit www.SugarLandSkeeters.com or call 281-240-4487.
DON SANDERS CUP
2017 marks the first season of the Don Sanders Cup as Houston and Sam Houston State will meet three times throughout the remaining half of the year. The Cougars and Bearkats will play Tuesday in Sugar Land before playing at Schroeder Park on Tuesday, April 25 and at Sam Houston State on Tuesday, May 2.
The Don Sanders Cup represents longtime Houston and SHSU supporter Don Sanders. He made a generous contribution towards the Cougars' video board during the 2016 season.
FOLLOW ALONG FROM SUGAR LAND
Listen Live: UHCougars.com/baseradio
GAMEDAY Central: UHCougars.com/gameday
No live video stream will be available for the game due to it being hosted at a neutral site location.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
- Houston enters the week with a 25-10 overall record.
- Houston is led offensively by Jake Scheiner's .402 clip, 53 hits, 12 home runs and 40 RBI.
- Jared Triolo follows Scheiner with a .326 average and is third on the team with 27 runs scored.
- The Cougars are 45-of-57 on the base paths, led by Connor Wong -- who has a team-leading 18 stolen bases.
- Houston's pitching owns a 2.89 ERA with 266 strikeouts to just 72 walks in 208.2 innings.
- Trey Cumbie paces the staff with a 1.40 ERA and is 6-0 in eight starts.
- Saturday starter sophomore Mitch Ullom is right behind him in the win column with a 5-2 record, while owning a 3.50 ERA.
- Sunday starter senior John King is 4-1 and owns a 3.46 ERA with three complete games to his name.
- Last week's midweek starter freshman Brayson Hurdsman went 5.0 innings and struck out seven Rice hitters in his first career start, but was tagged with the no-decision. He is 2-0 with a 3.26 ERA in nine appearances and one start. He has fanned 18 in 19.1 innings of work.
- Sophomore reliever Aaron Fletcher has a team-high six saves in nine appearances and owns a 0.54 ERA with 19 strikeouts in 16.2 innings out of the bullpen.
- Head coach Todd Whitting begins his seventh season. He owns a Houston record of 233-160-1 and has led the Cougars to two NCAA Regional appearances, a conference tournament title (2014) and a conference regular-season title (2015).
HOUSTON'S LAST AT-BAT
- The Cougars are coming off a 2-2 week, which featured a road series win at American Athletic Conference foe Memphis over the weekend.
- Houston scored 30 runs on 33 hits during the three-game series, highlighted by five home runs, including a grand slam from Joe Davis.
- Lael Lockhart Jr. led the offense over the week, hitting .444 with four doubles, while scoring seven runs and driving in three RBI.
- Trey Cumbie picked up the win in Game 1 of the series at Memphis, improving to 6-0 on the year. He struck out six in 8.0 innings of work.
QUICK HITS ON SAM HOUSTON STATE
- Sam Houston State enters Tuesday's game with a 25-11 record.
- The Bearkats are coming off a Southland Conference series loss on the road at SFA over the weekend.
- As a team, SHSU is hitting .306 with 18 home runs and 67 doubles to accompany its .440 slugging percentage.
- Leading the way offensively for the Bearkats is Hunter Hearn with a .366 average.
- The pitching staff owns a 3.73 ERA with 10 saves. SHSU pitching has fanned 281 hitters, while walking 96 in 321.1 innings.
- Dominic Robinson (3.78, 1-0) made the start in SHSU's midweek game at Baylor last week. He has made nine appearances with one start and has fanned 17 in 16.2 innings.
- Dakota Mills has made the majority of midweek starts for the Bearkats, posting a 4-3 record with a 4.79 ERA with 10 appearances and nine starts. He ahs fanned 34 in 47.0 innings.
SERIES HISTORY VS. SAM HOUSTON STATE
- Houston and Sam Houston State have met 160 previous times, dating back to 1947.
- The Cougars own the slight series edge at 81-79 over the Bearkats.
- Houston is 2-0 in neutral site games vs. SHSU.
- Houston and SHSU split its matchups in 2016 with the Cougars winning 4-3 at Schroeder Park and the Bearkats winning 4-0 at Don Sanders Stadium.
- The overall series between Houston and SHSU is the second-longest series played in the Cougars' program history behind 183 games vs. Rice.
Following Tuesday's midweek game, the Cougars return to Schroeder Park to host American leader Tulane in a three-game set, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. The series will continue at 6:30 p.m. Saturday and wrap at 1 p.m. Sunday.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS
Single game tickets are on sale at uhcougars.com/tickets. Fans can enjoy a few single game tickets options for the 29 homes games at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park during the 2017 season.
SUNDAY FAMILY PACK
A Family Pack for Four for just $30 to any Sunday game at Darryl & Lori Schroeder Park in 2017 in also available.
The Family Pack features four general admission tickets, four hot dogs, four sodas and four popcorns to any Sunday home game for $30.
In order to purchase this deal, the purchaser must CLICK HERE use the promo code: FAMILYPACK.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.