ª GAMEDAY CENTRAL
Continuing the most played series in Houston history, the Cougars and Owls have played 168 times and will surpass the 170 mark this weekend.
Entering the pivotal weekend series, No. 29 Houston holds a 26-11 overall record and a 6-3 mark to sit atop the Conference USA standings after playing its bye weekend last week by hosting Seton Hall. No. 22 Rice follows at 26-13 and holds a 7-5 mark in the league to sit in a tie for third place.
SATURDAY – TELEVISED ON FOX SPORTS (FSN)
· For viewing information, CLICK HERE.
· For Houston viewers who have television providers that feature FOX Sports Network, the game will be televised live on FOX Sports Southwest.
Houston holds an all-time record of 4-4 in game televised on FOX Sports and 25-39 on 14 networks since 1985.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is 26-11 and 6-3 in league play – currently in first place.
· The Cougars are coming off a 12-2 win over Texas Southern in non-conference play and a series loss to Seton Hall at home.
· Houston’s hasn’t played a home conference game since its Opening Weekend league sweep of East Carolina back on March 22-24.
· Houston is hitting .272 as a team, led by freshman Justin Montemayor’s .313 and 45 hits.
· Juniors Frankie Ratcliff and Caleb Barker have driven in a team-best 32 and 31 RBI, respectively.
· Freshman Josh Vidales has a team-high 33 walks, followed by Ratcliff with 32. The duo has combined for 65 of Houston’s 167 walks and rank second and third in the league.
· The hitters have recorded 46 doubles, 16 triples – a C-USA best and 11 homeruns – tying the total from 2012 already.
· Houston’s pitching staff holds a 3.51 ERA with 26 wins and eight saves.
· Senior Austin Pruitt is 7-2 in nine starts, holding a team-low 1.99 ERA in 68.0 innings pitched with 66 strikeouts, third-most in league, and three complete games – holding opposing hitters to a .216 average.
· Junior Daniel Poncedeleon is 4-3 in nine starts and 48.1 innings – fanning 44 with one complete game and a 4.28 ERA.
· Freshman Jake Lemoine (5-2) is second-best on the team with five wins and a 2.01 ERA with 40.1 innings tossed – in six starts and 11 appearances.
· Junior reliever Chase Wellbrock has a team-leading five saves in his 13 appearances out of the pen.
· The staff has walked just 99, while fanning 252.
· Houston runners have stolen 54 bags in 63 tries, led by freshman Kyle Survance and Vidales – each with 12 – a league-best.
QUICK HITS ON RICE
· Rice is 26-13 and 7-5 in league play – currently tied for third.
· The Owls are coming off of two straight wins over Texas Tech and UCF, but a C-USA home series loss to UCF last weekend.
· Rice is hitting .273, led by Michael Aquino’s .350 average and 25 RBI on five homeruns, six doubles and three triples.
· Geoff Perrott follows with a .315 average, while Michael Ratteree has come on of late with 22 RBI, second-best on the team.
· Rice has drawn 217 walks, led by Leon Byrd’s C-USA-best 35, while striking out 217 times.
· The pitching staff is second-best in the league with a 2.99 ERA.
· Preseason Pitcher of the Year Austin Kubitza leads the charge with a 1.36 ERA and a 5-2 record with 80 strikeouts in 59.2 innings tossed.
· John Simms (2.53 ERA, 4-3), Jordan Stephens (2.57 ERA, 4-2) have combined for eight wins and have started at least eight games for the Owls this season.
· Zech Lemond (1.64 ERA, 4-1) has four wins, but has a team-high 16 appearances and eight saves.
· The staff has fanned 307 hitters, while walking 136 – holding opposing hitters to a .234 average.
Houston: RHP Daniel Poncedeleon (4-3, 4.28 ERA)
Rice: RHP Jordan Stephens (4-2, 2.57 ERA)
Houston: RHP Austin Pruitt (7-2, 1.99 ERA)
Rice: RHP Austin Kubitza (5-2, 1.36 ERA)
SILVER GLOVE SERIES HISTORY
· Houston and Rice have met 168 times in history.
· The Owls own the all-time series, 98-70.
· The last series win for Houston came back in 2000 when the Cougars earned four wins to Rice’s two.
· The last time these two teams met was on May 23, 2012 at the C-USA Championship when Rice earned a 7-5 win over the Cougars in Pearl, MS.
· The two teams met once at Cougar Field last season, Rice winning 4-1.
· The last time the two teams met just three times in one season was back in 2007 with Rice winning the series, 2-1 – all played at Cougar Field.
· The Cougars lead the series, 41-40 when played at Houston.
· Houston managed to break up a 16-game losing skid to the Owls with its only win of 2012 – an 11-6 victory at Reckling Park on May 4.
· Friday Frenzy! $1 hot dogs, $2 soft drinks, $3 Beers (every Friday night at Cougar Field) brought to you by the H Association.
SATURDAY BINGO AT THE BALLPARK
· Come out to Cougar Field every Saturday for Bingo at the Ballpark.
· Fans will be given a Houston Cougar Bingo card that they can fill out as they watch the game.
· Support the Coogs, play Bingo and win exciting Houston Cougar prizes!
SUNDAY KIDS DAY
· Every Sunday is Kids Day at Cougar Field.
· Bring the family and enjoy an afternoon of baseball with the Houston Cougars.
· Kids will have the opportunity to participate in National Anthem Buddies, Kids Run the Bases, as well as a special post-game autograph session with the team.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Following the weekend series, Houston will hit the road for the next four games, beginning with a midweek trip to Austin to take on the Longhorns Tuesday at 6 p.m.
Shop Now at the Official