April 22, 2013
HOUSTON – Houston Baseball will play its next eight of nine games on the road, beginning with a trip to Austin to face Texas at 6 p.m. Tuesday on the Longhorn Network.
|AT A GLANCE||SERIES HISTORY|
UFCU Disch-Falk Field
All-Time: Houston and Texas will meet for the 124th time. |
Series History: Texas owns the series, 90-31-2.
Last Meeting: Houston earned a 4-3 win over Texas on March 19, 2013 at Cougar Field.
|Tuesday, April 23||6:00 p.m. // TV: Longhorn Network|
ª LONGHORN NETWORK
The Cougars enter this week’s only midweek game with a 27-13 overall record after earning wins over Texas Southern and Rice last week.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .269 as a team, averaging 5.6 runs per game and 8.6 hits per game.
· Freshman Justin Montemayor leads the offensive charge with a .314 average on 48 hits.
· Freshman Josh Vidales is hitting .291 with a team-leading 31 runs scored and 37 walks for an on-base percentage of .441.
· Junior Frankie Ratcliff paces the team in RBI with 35 and extra base hits with nine doubles, six triples – a league-best, and two homeruns for a slugging percentage of .481.
· Vidales ranks as the league-leader in stolen bases with 13, while freshman Kyle Survance has 12 to rank second.
· Houston pitching holds an ERA of 3.75, led by senior Austin Pruitt’s 2.24 ERA.
· The Cougars have compiled 27 wins and nine saves as Houston starters have combined for 24 of the 27 wins.
· Pruitt leads the team in wins (7), innings pitched (76.1), strikeouts (69), complete games (3) and shutouts (2) – while holding the opposing hitters to a .208 average.
· Freshman Jake Lemoine is 5-3 with a 2.95 ERA in 12 appearances and seven starts, while sophomore Aaron Garza is 4-2 with a 3.13 ERA in eight midweek starts.
· Junior Daniel Poncedeleon is 5-3 with a 4.50 ERA with 10 starts and one complete game.
· Junior Chase Wellbrock leads the team in saves with six and a team-best 15 game appearances out of the pen.
QUICK HITS ON TEXAS
· Texas enters Tuesday’s contest with a 21-17 overall record after dropping a weekend series to Big 12 foe, West Virginia.
· The Longhorns are 17-8 at home this season.
· As a team, Texas is hitting .265, led by Mark Payton’s .397 average, team-leading 45 hits and 11 doubles.
· CJ Hinojosa paces the squad with 23 RBI and is third-best with a .310 clip.
· Texas has stolen 43 bases in 55 attempts, led by Weston Hall’s 10-for-13 effort.
· Longhorn pitching holds a 2.58 ERA with 21 wins and eight saves, led by Dillon Peters’ 1.80 ERA and 4-2 record through 10 starts and 65.0 innings pitched.
· Texas closer Corey Knebel has eight saves to his name.
LAST TIME THESE TWO TEAMS MET
· Houston and Texas met back on March 19 at Cougar Field with the Cougars earning a 4-3 win over the Longhorns.
· Cougar starter Aaron Garza picked up the win, going 5.1 innings, allowing no earned runs on six hits with six strikeouts.
· Junior reliever Chase Wellbrock lasted 3.2 innings for the save, allowing just one hit.
· Texas starter Chad Hollingsworth was chased after 1.2 innings after surrendering three runs on four hits.
· Freshman Jacob Campbell went 2-for-3 with a run scored, while freshman Kyle Survance drove in two RBI on a single.
· Houston and Texas will meet for the 124th time in the history of the program.
· The Longhorns hold the advantage at 90-31-2 over the Cougars.
· The last time these two teams met in a regular-season game in Austin was back on Feb. 6, 2000 in a 7-1 win for the Longhorns.
· The two teams met in a NCAA Super Regional on June 7-9, 2002 in Austin – Longhorns went on to win the College World Series that season.
· The last meeting between the two schools came in a 4-3 Houston win back on March 19 of this season at Cougar Field.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Following the game at Texas, Houston will continue its weeklong road tour as it visits UCF in Orlando for a three-game C-USA series. The series begins on Friday at 5:30 p.m. CT, continues Saturday at 3 p.m. CT and concludes on Sunday at 12 p.m. CT.