May 6, 2013
HOUSTON - University of Houston Baseball is set to play its final midweek contest of 2013 when it travels to McNeese State on Tuesday for a 6:30 p.m. first pitch at Cowboy Diamond.
|AT A GLANCE||SERIES HISTORY|
All-Time: Houston and McNeese State have met 56 previous times. |
Series History: Houston owns the all-time series record at 43-13.
Last Meeting: Houston earned a 4-1 win in 2012 at Cougar Field.
|Tuesday, May 7||6:30 pm CT // TV: None||
The Cougars enter the midweek game with a record of 30-18 after winning three of four last week, including a road series win at Tulane in Conference USA play. Junior reliever Chase Wellbrock was instrumental in helping Houston to win No. 30 on the year as he collected three saves in three save opportunities last week.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
· Houston is hitting .263 with a league-best 250 runs scored, 201 walks and 22 triples.
· Leading the Cougars offensively is freshman Justin Montemayor's .324 clip and team-leading 59 hits and 37 runs scored.
· Junior Frankie Ratcliff has driven in a team-best 38 RBI on seven triples, which ranks second in the nation and 10 doubles - which leads the squad.
· Freshman Josh Vidales has 42 walks to pace C-USA and is just eight shy from tying Cougar Great Michael Bourn's freshman record of 50, which came back in 2001.
· Vidales joins freshman Kyle Survance atop the C-USA rankings in stolen bases with 15 apiece, while Houston has 69 total to sit ahead the league rankings.
· Houston pitching holds a 3.82 ERA with 30 wins and 12 saves.
· Senior Austin Pruitt leads the team in wins (7), innings (91.2), strikeouts (77), starts (12), complete games (4), while holding opposing hitters to a .230 clip.
· Freshman Jake Lemoine will make the start Tuesday and is second-best in ERA on the team with a 3.40. In 50.1 innings, Lemoine has fanned 31 and holds a 6-3 record in 15 appearances and eight starts.
· Junior reliever Chase Wellbrock leads the team with nine saves, three of which came last week, in his 20 appearances.
· Houston pitching has struck out 323 hitters and walked 133 in 415.0 innings.
QUICK HITS ON MCNEESE STATE
· McNeese State enters the midweek contest with a record of 20-25 and a 16-11 mark at Cowboy Diamond.
· The Cowboys are coming off of four straight losses and have dropped 10 of their last 11, dating back to April 2.
· McNeese State is hitting .263 as a team with 410 hits and 200 RBI, led by Michael Sullivan's .308 clip.
· Jackson Gooch paces the team with 28 RBI and 53 hits, while Andrew Guillotte has 14 stolen bases.
· RHP Jacob Williams will make the start with a 1-2 record and a 4.79 ERA in 13 appearances. In 20.2 innings, Williams has struck out nine and walked nine.
· McNeese pitching holds a 4.31 ERA with 20 wins and 10 saves, while holding opposing hitters to a .272 average.
· Houston and McNeese State will meet for the 57th time in school history on Tuesday.
· The Cougars own the all-times series over the Cowboys, 43-13 and have won 11 of the last 12 meetings between the two clubs.
· The last win came a year ago as Houston won 4-1 at Cougar Field on April 3.
· McNeese and Houston split the 2011 non-conference series, 1-1, as the Cowboys earned their only win over the Cougars since 1997.
· The series began with a 4-2 win for Houston back on March 15, 1971 at home.
· The two teams were scheduled to meet back on April 17, but the game was rained out and will not be rescheduled.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.
Houston will return to Cougar Field to host UAB in a three-game weekend C-USA series, beginning Friday at 6:30 p.m. The series is slated to continue Saturday at 6:30 p.m. and wrap up at 1 p.m. Sunday.