|HOUSTON (33-18) at MCNEESE STATE (34-16)|
|LOCATION||Joe Miller Ballpark | Lake Charles, La.|
|GAMEDAY CENTRAL||GAMEDAY CENTRAL|
|SERIES HISTORY||Houston and McNeese State have met 64 previous times.|
|SERIES RECORD||Houston owns the all-time series, 50-14.|
|GAME NOTES||Game Notes|
HOUSTON – Houston Baseball will play its final midweek game of the season when it travels back to Louisiana to take on McNeese State at 6 p.m. Tuesday.
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
- Houston enters the new week with a 33-18 overall record.
- Houston is led offensively by Jake Scheiner’s .347 clip, 67 hits, 14 home runs and 47 RBI.
- Connor Wong follows with a .309 clip and 10 home runs, while leading the team with 49 runs scored and this week’s American Player of the Week Corey Julks is hitting .306 with 52 hits, 33 RBI and five home runs – two of which came in last Friday’s ninth-inning rout of Tulane.
- The Cougars are 65-of-81 on the base paths, led by Connor Wong – who has a team-leading 21 stolen bases followed by Julks with 13.
- Houston’s pitching owns a 3.42 ERA with 370 strikeouts to just 114 walks in 447.2 innings.
- Trey Cumbie, who has now thrown back-to-back complete games in conference play, paces the starting pitching staff with a 2.14 ERA and is 8-1 in 12 starts.
- Sophomore Mitch Ullom is 6-3, while owning a 3.36 ERA in 13 starts.
- Sophomore reliever Aaron Fletcher has a team-high six saves in 16 appearances and owns a 1.41 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 32.0 innings out of the bullpen.
- Head coach Todd Whitting begins his seventh season. He owns a Houston record of 241-168-1 and has led the Cougars to two NCAA Regional appearances, a conference tournament title (2014) and a conference regular-season title (2015).
HOUSTON’S LAST AT-BAT
- Houston is coming off a strong 3-1 week, which featured a win over Rice and a series victory on the road at American foe Tulane.
- The Cougars won Game 1 at Tulane, 15-3 after scoring 14 runs in the final two innings, highlighted by an 11-run ninth inning.
- Corey Julks finished the week, hitting .467 with two home runs, eight RBI and six runs scored. He also stole three bases, including a straight steal of home.
- Julks’ heroics came in the ninth inning Friday at Tulane has he belted a three-run home run and a grand slam – all in one inning – driving in eight RBI.
- Freshman Nick Slaughter had a big week, hitting .545, while driving in seven RBI. He had the game-winning hit in the come-from-behind win over Rice and belted his second home run of the season in the series finale at Tulane.
- Trey Cumbie struck out a career-high 11 in his second career complete-game shutout win at Tulane.
QUICK HITS ON MCNEESE STATE
- McNeese State will enter the week with a 34-16 overall record.
- The Cowboys are coming off a weekend sweep at Creighton.
- As a team, McNeese is hitting .304 with 101 doubles, 53 home runs and 336 RBI, while slugging .472.
- Shane Selman leads the offense with a .359 average, 66 hits, 13 home runs and 50 RBI.
- McNeese has 71 stolen bases, led by Robbie Podorsky’s 34.
- The pitching staff owns a 4.20 ERA and has 16 saves to accompany its 395 strikeouts and 199 walks in 437.0 innings.
- Austin Sanders paces the starting pitchers with a 3.15 ERA and is 6-2 in 13 starts. He leads the staff with 60 strikeouts in 74.1 innings.
- Peyton McLemore is 1-0 with a team-low 1.90 ERA in 18 relief appearances.
- Gavin Sonnier will get the start Tuesday vs. the Cougars. He will make his first start of the year, owning a 4.50 ERA in 11 relief appearances.
SERIES HISTORY VS. MCNEESE STATE
- Houston and McNeese have met 64 previous times and once already this season.
- The Cougars own a 50-14 record over the Cowboys, dating back to 1971.
- The two teams met back on March 14 | Houston 6, McNeese State 5 (Schroeder Park)
- Jake Scheiner belted two home runs and drove in five RBI in the win.
Following the midweek game at McNeese State Tuesday, the Cougars will wrap up its conference regular-season by hosting Cincinnati in a three-game set, beginning Thursday at 6:30 p.m. The series will continue Friday at 6:30 p.m. and wrap at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Houston, USF and UCF all sit atop the American with a 13-8 overall record. USF and UCF will play each other in the final series with Houston hosting Cincinnati.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS FOR FINAL SERIES VS. CINCINNATI
Single game tickets can be purchased at UHCougars.com/tickets or by calling 713-GO-COOGS
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.