HOUSTON -- Houston Baseball seniors Joey Pulido and Connor Hollis were recognized for their work both on the field and in the classroom as the duo was named to the Google Cloud CoSIDA Academic All-District First Team.
Among the District 7 honorees, Pulido was one of just two pitchers honored, while Hollis was one of just four infielders on the list.
ABOUT THE AWARD
CoSIDA recognizes the nation's top student-athletes for their combined performances on the field and in the classroom. The First Team Academic All-District honorees advance to the Google Cloud Academic All-America ballot, which is scheduled to be announced in June.
Joey Pulido | RHP | Senior
- A native of Clute, Texas, Pulido graduated with a degree in Organizational Leadership & Supervision with a minor in Applied Chain Logistics & Technology this May.
- In two seasons at Houston, Joey has made 43 appearances out of the bullpen with one start. In 2018, he has tallied 22 appearances for second-most on the team and is 4-2 with two saves, while tallying 47 strikeouts in 42.0 innings.
- For his play on the field, he was named to the Don Sanders Cup All-Series Team this season and for his efforts off the field during his time at Houston, was an American All-Academic Team honoree after being named to the Dean's List with his 4.0 GPA.
- Pulido has played an integral role in helping Houston continue its success, winning back-to-back American Athletic Conference regular-season titles.
Connor Hollis | 2B | Senior
- A native of Arlington, Texas, Hollis is a five-year member and four-year letterwinner for the Cougars and has played an instrumental role as an everyday infielder since his arrival on campus.
- Hollis graduated with a finance degree and a minor in accounting in May 2017 and is currently pursuing a graduate degree in finance, holding a 3.61 GPA.
- Recognized as one of the program's all-time top defenders, fielding nearly .975 in his career, Hollis has appeared in 204 career games, making 200 career starts. He ranks fourth in program history with 541 assists. In 2018, Hollis paces the team with 43 runs scored, while maintaining a .284 average in the leadoff spot.
- The second baseman has helped Houston to five conference titles in the last five years and to three NCAA Regionals, including two hosted by the University of Houston.
- For his play, he is a two-time Don Sanders Cup series honoree, was named American Player of the Week this season, honored on the All-Silver Glove Team in 2014 and earned Third Team All-Conference honors as a freshman.
- Off the field, Connor has been one of the most decorated student-athletes of late and for that, was recognized as a Senior CLASS candidate and is a four-time American All-Academic Team member.
The duo became the seventh and eighth Cougars in program history to be recognized on this prestigious list by CoSIDA and are the first Houston players named to an All-District Team since 2014.
2018 marks the first year since 1992 that multiple Cougars were honored in one season.
The Cougars will travel to Hammond, La. to face Southland Conference foe Southeastern Louisiana in a two-game, out-of-conference series, Thursday and Friday at 6 p.m. each day.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /UHCougarBB. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.