|#18 HOUSTON (34-18, 13-8) vs. CINCINNATI (27-26, 9-12)|
|LOCATION||Schroeder Park | Houston, Texas|
|GAMEDAY CENTRAL||GAMEDAY CENTRAL|
|GAMETRACKER||Thursday | Friday | Saturday|
|SERIES HISTORY||Houston and Cincinnati have met 42 previous times.|
|SERIES RECORD||Cougars own series, 34-8.|
|GAME NOTES||Game Notes|
HOUSTON – Houston Baseball gears up for an American Athletic Conference Championship run with its final regular-season series this week when it welcomes Cincinnati to Schroeder Park for three games, beginning Thursday at 6:30 p.m.
The pivotal home series will continue at 6:30 p.m. Friday and wrap at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Houston, USF and UCF all sit atop the American with a 13-8 overall record. USF and UCF will play each other in the final series. Houston needs a sweep of Cincinnati and hopes neither one of the two Florida teams sweep the other for the Cougars to clinch the American regular-season title. UCF and USF have the tie-breaker over Houston.
SINGLE GAME TICKETS FOR FINAL SERIES VS. CINCINNATI
Single game tickets can be purchased at UHCougars.com/tickets or by calling 713-GO-COOGS.
TICKET DEAL: $3 Reserved Tickets (ALL WEEKEND) … Use Promo Code: “GOCOOGS”
PROMOTIONS / GIVEAWAYS FOR FINAL SERIES
- Thirsty Thursday | $4 Domestic & $5 Premium Beer (21 years or older)
- Houston Football Head Coach Major Applewhite to Throw Out First Pitch (ARRIVE EARLY!)
- Giveaway | UH Baseball to First 100 Fans (Gates open at 4:30 pm)
- Friday Frenzy | $1 popcorn, $2 hot dogs, $3 sodas, $4 beer (21 years and older)
- Friday Night Fireworks | Fireworks after the Game
- Senior Day | Honoring our lone senior LHP John King
- Salute to Service Saturday | FREE Admission with Military or Service ID
- Kids Day | inflatables, Anthem Buddies, Run Bases postgame, Autographs postgame
- Giveaway | Trading Cards Pack No. 4 to First 250 Fans (Gates open at 11 am)
QUICK HITS ON HOUSTON
- Houston enters the weekend series with a 34-18 overall record and a 13-8 mark in league play.
- Houston is led offensively by Jake Scheiner’s .345 clip, 68 hits, 14 home runs and 49 RBI.
- American Player of the Week Corey Julks is hitting .306 with 53 hits, 33 RBI and five home runs – two of which came in last Friday’s ninth-inning rout of Tulane.
- Joe Davis is hitting .305, while Connor Wong follows with a .302 clip, leads the team with 49 runs and is second on the team with 10 home runs.
- The Cougars are 67-of-83 on the base paths, led by Connor Wong – who has a team-leading 21 stolen bases followed by Julks with 13.
- Houston’s pitching owns a 3.43 ERA with 379 strikeouts to just 118 walks in 456.2 innings.
- Trey Cumbie, who has now thrown back-to-back complete games in conference play, paces the starting pitching staff with a 2.14 ERA and is 8-1 in 12 starts.
- Sophomore Mitch Ullom is 6-3, while owning a 3.36 ERA in 13 starts.
- Senior John King is 5-1 with a 3.50 ERA with three complete games in 10 appearances and nine starts.
- Sophomore reliever Aaron Fletcher has a team-high six saves in 16 appearances and owns a 1.41 ERA with 32 strikeouts in 32.0 innings out of the bullpen.
- Head coach Todd Whitting begins his seventh season. He owns a Houston record of 242-168-1 and has led the Cougars to two NCAA Regional appearances, a conference tournament title (2014) and a conference regular-season title (2015).
HONORING SENIOR John King ON SATURDAY
- John King hails from Missouri City, Texas.
- Two-year letterwinner for the Cougars after transferring in his junior season from Angelina College.
- Played high school baseball at Clements in Sugar Land.
- Made 27 career appearances with 19 starts and has totaled 120.2 innings in his two-year career.
- Owns 3.51 ERA with three complete games and one complete-game shutout
- Has struck out 73 and walked just 19, holding opponents to a .264 average.
- Has been named American Athletic Conference Pitcher of the Week twice in his career.
- Named to Kleberg Bank College Classic All-Tournament Team in 2017.
- Named to The American All-Academic Team in 2016.
HOUSTON’S LAST AT-BAT
- Houston is coming off a big midweek road 5-4 road win on Tuesday.
- The Cougars rallied down 4-3 with a two-run seventh inning to win 5-4 and sweep the 2017 series vs. the Cowboys.
- Houston saw a strong relief performance from sophomore Nolan Bond, who came in and tossed 4.1 innings, allowing one run on four hits with three strikeouts for his first career win as a Cougar.
- The Cougars tallied nine hits, led by Joe Davis and Jake Scheiner, who each drove in a pair of RBI, while Grayson Padgett scored three runs.
QUICK HITS ON CINCINNATI
- Cincinnati will enter the weekend series with a 27-26 overall record and a 9-12 mark in American play.
- The Bearcats are coming off a 7-1 midweek loss to Xavier after dropping a conference series last weekend at home vs. UCF.
- Cincinnati is hitting .247 and slugging .369 with 28 home runs.
- The Bearcats are led by R.J. Thompson’s .332 average and 67 hits.
- A.J. Bumpass paces the team with 33 RBI, while Ryan Noda leads the team with 42 runs scored.
- Cincinnati is 60-of-81 on the base paths, led by Connor McVey’s 11 stolen bases.
- The pitching staff owns a 4.65 ERA with 11 saves and one shutout in 466.2 innings. The staff has fanned 289 hitters and walked 201, while holding opponents to a .264 average.
- RHP Andrew Zellner will get the start Thursday vs. the Cougars, owning a 5.09 ERA with 3-5 record in 13 appearances and 12 starts. He has fanned 42 in 58.1 innings.
- RHP A.J. Kullman is slated to start Friday with a 4.70 ERA and a 5-6 mark in 19 appearances and three starts.
- RHP David Orndorff leads the team with seven saves and is 4-4 with a 3.12 ERA.
SERIES HISTORY VS. CINCINNATI
- Houston and Cincinnati have met 42 previous times, dating back to 1958.
- The Cougars own the all-time series, 34-8 and are 15-4 all-time at home.
- Houston has won all three series vs. Cincinnati since joining the American Athletic Conference in 2014.
- The Cougars went 3-1 against the Bearcats in 2016, which included a road series win in Cincinnati and a win in Game 1 of The American Championship.
- Last Meeting: May 24, 2016 | Houston 9, Cincinnati 1 (Clearwater, Fla.)
Following the final regular-season series vs. Cincinnati, the Cougars will travel to Clearwater, Fla. and Spectrum Field to compete in the American Athletic Conference Baseball Championship, beginning next Tuesday, May 23-29. For more information on The American Championship, CLICK HERE.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.