HOUSTON – Postseason honors continue to roll in for Houston Baseball junior Jake Scheiner as the American Player of the Year was tabbed a Third Team All-American by D1Baseball.com, announced by the organization on Thursday.
Fresh off of earning All-America honors by Perfect Game, NCBWA, Baseball America and Collegiate Baseball, the D1Baseball honor is Scheiner’s fifth of the summer – making him a consensus All-American. The last consensus All-American for Houston was Brad Lincoln back in 2006, where he was named the National Player of the Year.
Scheiner was also named a First Team ABCA/Rawlings All-Region honoree and was taken in the fourth round of the MLB Draft on Tuesday by the Philadelphia Phillies.
QUICK LOOK BACK
Jake Scheiner | Junior | 3B
- Named a Third Team All-American by D1Baseball.com
- Named to the ABCA All-Region First Team
- Named a Third Team All-American by Perfect Game
- Named a Second Team All-American by NCBWA
- Named a Third Team All-American by Baseball America
- Named a Second Team All-American by Collegiate Baseball
- Named American Co-Player of the Year
- Named to All-American Athletic Conference First Team (UTL)
- Named a Dick Howser Trophy Semifinalist
- Named to Golden Spikes Award Watch List
- Named American Athletic Conference Player of the Week once
- Appeared in all 63 regular-season games, making 62 starts in the infield.
- Has played shortstop, second base and third base this season.
- Led the American in home runs with 18 and RBI with 64 as well as total bases with 162.
- Led Houston with a .346 average, 18 doubles and a .667 slugging percentage.
- Broke the Houston NCAA postseason single-game RBI record with six RBI in a 17-3 win over Baylor in the Houston Regional (June 3).
- Had a career day, tallying a five-hit game vs. Alabama State on March 19 when he belted three home runs and drove in seven RBI.
- Named National Player of the Week (March 20) after hitting .813 (13x16) with six home runs and 15 RBI, helping the Cougars to a 4-0 week (March 14-19). He slugged 2.063 and scored eight runs.
- Led Houston with 18 multi-RBI games and is second with 22 multi-hit games.
- Has had a hit in 49 of the 63 games and an RBI in 32 of the 62 games.
Jake Scheiner became just the third Cougar in program history to be tabbed Conference Player of the Year and first since 1990. He joins Southwest Conference Players of the Year Keith Darter (1990) and Rayner Noble (1983) on this exclusive list.
Stay up to date with all Houston Baseball news and highlights by following us on Twitter @UHCougarBB or on Facebook at /HoustonCougarBaseball. Fans can also follow head coach Todd Whitting @toddwhitting on Twitter.