Football Postgame Notes vs. UTEP
Sept. 11, 2010
HOUSTON POSTGAME NOTES
** Houston improved to 22-10 (.688) all-time when playing on Friday... Houston also snapped a two-game losing streak on Friday... Houston had not won on Friday since a 34-20 win against Southern Miss during the Conference USA Championship on Dec. 1, 2006.
** This was Houston's first Friday game since falling 20-13 to TCU at the Texas Bowl on Dec. 28, 2007.
** Houston improved to 31-16-1 (.656) all-time during its conference openers... The Cougars improved to 10-5 (.667) all-time during their Conference USA openers.
** Houston improved to 12-6 (.667) all-time during its conference openers at home... The Cougars improved to 6-2 (.750) during their Conference USA openers at home.
** Friday's game was the first time that Houston opened its conference season at home since a 35-31 win against former Conference USA-rival Army on Sept. 18, 2004.
** Houston improved to 84-90-3 (.483) all-time during the month of September.
** With Friday's win, the Cougars started the season 2-0 for the second straight year....Houston started the 2009 season with a 3-0 mark and began the 2006 season with a 4-0 record.
** This was the first time since 2005 that the Cougars played their first two games in Houston (vs. Oregon at Reliant Stadium; vs. Sam Houston State at Robertson Stadium)... This was the first time since 2001 that the Cougars played their first two games on John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium.
** The Cougars topped 300 rushing yards in a game for the first time since compiling 377 yards against Texas Southern on Nov. 24, 2007.
** With back-to-back crowds of 32,119 to open the season, the Cougars played in front of consecutive 30,000+ home crowds for the first time since the first two games of the 1991 season (30,082, vs. Louisiana Tech, Aug. 31, 1991; 37,022, vs. #11 Baylor, Oct. 5, 1991).
** With Friday's attendance of 32,119, the Cougars played their second straight home game with at least 30,000 fans... That was the first time in the history of Robertson Stadium that the Cougars accomplished that feat.
** The Cougars have opened the 2010 season playing in front of 64,238 fans through the first two home games... That is the most fans to watch the Cougars in consecutive home games since 66,025 fans watched the Cougars face Texas (47,911, Nov. 9, 1991) and Texas Tech (18,114, Nov. 30, 1991).
** This was the biggest win by either team in the all-time series... Houston's previous biggest win was a 34-17 victory at Robertson Stadium on Oct. 21, 2006... UTEP's biggest win is a 35-7 victory on Sept. 25, 1948.
** Friday's game marked the sixth straight game that the Cougars scored at least 34 points against UTEP... The Cougars scored seven points in a 35-7 loss in El Paso, Texas, on Sept. 25, 1948.
** This was the sixth straight season that Houston faced UTEP in football.
** The Cougars improved to 4-4 all-time against UTEP.
** The Cougars improved to 3-0 all-time against UTEP in Houston.
** Friday's game marked the second straight season (third overall, 2005) that Houston opened its Conference USA season against UTEP... The Cougars improved to 1-2 (.333) all-time in C-USA openers against UTEP.
** Sumlin improved to 13-0 all-time on John O'Quinn Field at Robertson Stadium.
** Sumlin improved to 2-1 (.667) against UTEP during his career.
** Sumlin improved to 1-0 when playing on Friday during his career.
** Keenum did not throw a touchdown pass in a game for the first time since Nov. 10, 2007, at Tulsa.
** Keenum improved to 24-12 (.667) record as the Cougars' starting quarterback during his career.
** With 15 completions, Keenum moved into seventh place in NCAA FBS career history... Keenum now has 1,108 completions during his career... He moved past Missouri's Chase Daniel (1,094, 2005-08) ... Up next in the NCAA records book is Hawai''s Colt Brennan, who completed 1,115 passes from 2005 to 2007.
** With two rushing touchdowns, junior running back Michael Hayes set a personal high... His total topped his previous best of one against Texas State on Sept. 4, 2010.
** With three rushing touchdowns, junior running back Bryce Beall tied his career high... He equaled his bets against SMU on Oct. 18, 2008.
** With 195 rushing yards, junior running back Bryce Beall recorded a personal high... His total topped his previous high of 176 yards against Tulane on Nov. 8, 2008.
** With two receptions, junior wide receiver Tyron Carrier recorded a catch in his 29th consecutive game.
** With 118 receiving yards, junior wide receiver Patrick Edwards recorded the sixth 100-yard game of his career... The Cougars improved to 5-1 (.833) when Edwards reaches triple digits.
** With 195 rushing yards, junior running back Bryce Beall recorded the seventh 100-yard game of his career... The Cougars improved to 7-0 when Beall reaches triple digits.
** With three rushing touchdowns, junior running back Bryce Beall recorded the fifth multi-rushing touchdown game of his career... However, it was the 10th multi-touchdown game (rushing and receiving) of his career.
** Junior linebacker Marcus McGraw recorded the second fumble of his career around the 2:40 mark of the second quarter... McGraw's 47-yard fumble return was the longest of his career.
** Sophomore kicker Matt Hogan nailed his 13th and 14th consecutive field goals to open his career... Hogan has not missed a field goal during his career.
** With two field goals, sophomore kicker Matt Hogan recorded the his first multi-field goal game of the 2010 season... It also was the fifth multi-field goal game of his career.
* The Miners dropped to 1-6 all-time in games played in the city of Houston under coach Mike Price. UTEP won at Rice, 38-31, on Oct. 29, 2005 but since then has lost five straight contests in the Bayou City.
* UTEP lost a Conference USA opener for the first time (5-1 record). It is the Miners' first setback in a league opener since Sept. 18, 2004 versus no. 23 Boise State in El Paso, 47-31.
* The Miners lost for the 11th time in their last 12 C-USA road games while suffering their eighth consecutive league road setback.
* UTEP is now 14-15 when playing a conference game within the first two games of the season. The Miners had a two-game winning streak snapped in the scenario.
* The Miners are 2-3 in Friday conference games since joining C-USA.
* The touchdown catch by Pierce Hunter in the first quarter was the second of his career and the first since his freshman year (2007).
* Donavon Kemp recorded a touchdown reception for the third time in his last four games dating back to the 2009 season.
* Tonight's game marked UTEP's seventh straight game with 20 or more first downs, tying the school record originally set by the 2000 team.
* The 68-yard interception by Travaun Nixon in the third quarter tied for the 10th-longest by a UTEP player and the longest since Quintin Demps had a pair of 100-yard picks (versus New Mexico State and UCF) in 2007.
* Trevor Vittatoe registered the 13th 300-yard passing game of his UTEP career, putting him within three games of tying Jordan Palmer's school record.
* Vittatoe went over 10,000 yards passing in his Miner career, making him the seventh Conference USA player to achieve the feat.