Oct. 18, 2012
Football Postgame Notes (PDF)
• With the 72-42 Conference USA loss at SMU, Houston moves to 386-340-15 all-time and 63-36 in Conference USA play. The Cougars fall to 3-4 this season and 2-1 in league play.
• Despite the loss, Houston maintains a 17-10-1 all-time record over SMU. The loss marked the first time since Nov. 19, 2005 (24-29) that the Cougars have lost to the Mustangs.
• For the third straight game, Houston scored on its opening drive after not scoring a single point on any opening drive during the first four games. The Cougars were on board after a 1-yard rushing touchdown by Charles Sims.
• With Joey Mbu's interception late in the first quarter, Houston has now recorded a pick in the last three games.
• D.J. Hayden's 75-yard interception return for a touchdown was the first defensive score for Houston this season.
• Junior Charles Sims notched his ninth rushing touchdown of the season and 27th of his career with a 49-yard run in the fourth quarter.
• With Sims' 2-yard rushing touchdown in the second quarter, the junior running back moves into 5th all-time in rushing touchdowns. He finished the night with two rushing scores.
• Sims' second rushing touchdown of the game marked the third time this season and ninth time in his career that the junior has recorded a mutliple-touchdown game.
• Sims' 49-yard touchdown run by Sims with 14:14 left in the game gave Sims four touchdowns on the night. The four touchdowns marked the third time in his career where he recorded at least three scores in a single game, last coming against Rice this year on Sept. 29.
• Sims recorded both a receiving and rushing touchdown for the fourth time in his career and second time this season with the last time coming against North Texas on Oct. 6, 2012.
• Sims now has 14 career games and three this season with at least five receptions.
• Sims' 24 points on four touchdowns is sixth most in a single game by any Houston player.
• Sims recorded his third career game and first game this season with at least 100 receiving yards. The last time he accomplished this feat was on Sept. 26, 2009 against Texas Tech. He finished with 114 yards.
• Sophomore Daniel Spencer recorded his fifth career touchdown and third this season on a 7-yard pass from Crawford Jones with 5:04 left to play in the third quarter.
• Sophomore Joey Mbu recorded his first career interception at the Houston 20 yard line for a return of eight yards in the first quarter.
• Freshman Deontay Greenberry recorded a career high in receiving yards with 94, surpassing his previous high of 71 yards against North Texas earlier this season. He tied his career high with six receptions, which came against North Texas.
• Senior Crawford Jones notched career highs in pass attempts with 17 and completions with 33. His previous high was two pass attempts and one pass completion, both coming against Georgia State on Sept. 24, 2011.
• Jones recorded his first career touchdown on a 24-yard pass to Charles Sims in the third quarter. Jones went on to record two touchdowns.
• Senior Everett Daniels notched his second career sack for a loss of two yards to force an SMU punt. Both sacks have come this season.
• Senior D.J. Hayden recorded a career-long interception return of 75-yards for his second career interception return for a touchdown at the 13:28 mark in the fourth quarter. His previous long interception return was a 54-yarder at UAB on Nov. 5, 2011.
• Hayden recorded his fourth career interception and second of the season.
• Junior Richie Leone notched his third punt over 60 yards this season in the final seconds of the first half with his 63-yarder.
• Redshirt freshman Bram Kohlhausen recorded a career high in pass attempts with seven and tied a career-best in completions with two. He surpassed his previous high of two pass attempts, which came last against UAB on Oct. 13, 2012.
BY THE NUMBERS
Senior Crawford Jones recorded his first career touchdown on a 24-yard pass to Charles Sims.
Everett Daniels notched his second career sack for a loss of two yards in the second quarter.
Houston has recorded an interception in each of its last three games.
For the third straight game, Houston scored on its opening drive on a Charles Sims 1-yard touchdown run.
Charles Sims recorded his fourth career game with a rushing and receiving touchdown in the same contest.
Charles Sims now has 14 career games with at least five receptions. He finished with seven.
Charles Sims' 24 points on four touchdowns is the sixth most points ever scored by a single Houston player.
Charles Sims notched his 27th career rushing touchdown on a 49-yard run in the fourth quarter.
Richie Leone recorded his third punt this season over 60 yards with his 63 yarder to end the first half.
D.J. Hayden's 75-yard interception return for a touchdown was a career-long return for the senior.
Charles Sims marked his first game this season and third of his career with at least 100 receiving yards. He finished with 114 yards.