Football Postgame Notes vs. BYU
Oct. 19, 2013
• The Cougars notched their 14th straight game dating back to 2012 with multiple turnovers.
• True freshman quarterback John O’Korn notched a career-high in passing yards with 363 yards on a career-best 29 completions on 45 attempts.
• O’Korn notched his fourth game with multiple passing touchdowns after recording two today.
• O’Korn’s 74-yard pass to teammate Daniel Spencer was a career long and marked the longest pass play given up by BYU this entire season.
• Freshman wide receiver Demarcus Ayers recorded a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown to put Houston on the board in the first quarter for the second score by the Houston Special Teams unit this season.
• The touchdown return marked the first kickoff return by a Houston Cougar since Tyron Carrier notched a 100-yard kickoff return back on Oct. 27, 2011 vs. Rice.
• The 95-yarder by Ayers was the eighth longest kickoff return for a touchdown in program history.
Greg Ward Jr.
• True freshman quarterback Greg Ward Jr. notched his first passing touchdown of his career with a career-long 69 yard pass to teammate Xavier Maxwell for Houston’s second score of the game.
• Senior wide receiver Xavier Maxwell recorded his third career receiving touchdown and first since the win at UTSA on a 69-yard reception from freshman quarterback Greg Ward Jr.
• Maxwell finished the day with a career-high in receiving yards with 136 yards on five receptions, surpassing his previous high of 75 yards at Temple (Sept. 7) this season.
• Junior linebacker Derrick Mathews notched his first interception of the year and fourth of his career on a pick-6 for the Cougars’ third touchdown of the first quarter.
• Mathews’ pick-6 was the first since William Jackson’s interception return for a touchdown at UTSA and marks the second straight game Mathews forced a turnover with his forced fumble vs. Memphis last week.
• Mathews recorded three sacks today for 10 career sacks - including back-to-back sacks, which led to a loss of 15 yards and a safety for Houston for the Cougars’ only score of the third quarter.
• Mathews had 12 tackles - 10 of which were solo - for his 13th career double-digit tackle game.
• Sophomore wide receiver recorded his fourth game this season with a touchdown on a six-yard pass from true freshman quarterback John O’Korn in the second quarter.
• Greenberry tallied his second receiving touchdown of the game on a 10-yard pass from O’Korn in the fourth quarter to give Houston the lead at 46-41.
• Junior wide receiver Daniel Spencer recorded his sixth career touchdown at Reliant Stadium in just four games played when he put Houston up 38-31 near the end of the second quarter.
• Spencer records his second 100-yard receiving game of 2013 to mark the fifth game this season the Cougars have had a 100-yard receiver.
• Spencer notches a career-high 186 yards receiving on his seven receptions with one touchdown.
• Senior kicker/punter Richie Leone tallied eight punts during today’s game, which included a 61-yarder.
• Leone finished with four punts inside the 20-yard line, which ties a career-high. That marks the third time in his career, last coming vs. Memphis last week.
• Leone finished with three of his eight punts over 50 yards.
• Freshman defensive end Tyus Bowser collected his second solo sack of his short career for a nine-yard loss with under a minute to play in the second quarter to move his total to 2.5 sacks.
• Redshirt freshman linebacker Steven Taylor notched a career-high 15 tackles for his second double-digit tackle game of his short career.
• Junior linebacker Efrem Oliphant notched his third straight double-digit tackle effort and sixth of his career with a career-high 16 tackles in today’s game to lead Houston’s defense.
• Oliphant surpassed his previous high in tackles of 15, which came vs.Tulsa in 2010.
• Oliphant continued the sack game for Houston with his second career sack (both coming this season) to force a punt by BYU late in the game.
Trevor Harris & Tomme Mark
• Junior defensive end Trevor Harris and sophomore defensive tackle Tomme Mark combined for a sack to force the third straight punt by BYU for a loss of seven.
• Senior cornerback Thomas Bates recorded Houston’s second interception in the first quarter for the Cougars for his fourth career and first since 2011.
• Bates went on to pick off another BYU pass for his second career game with two interceptions - last coming vs. Louisiana Tech in 2011.
• Redshirt freshman defensive tackle B.J. Singleton notches his first sack of his career in the fourth quarter.
• Sophomore defensive back Adrian McDonald recorded a career-high 13 tackles - 10 of which were solo - for his third career double-digit tackle effort, last coming vs. Marshall in 2012 with 11.
• Sophomore defensive back Trevon Stewart had 10 tackles - all solo for his seventh career double-digit tackle game.
• Senior cornerback Zach McMillian had 10 tackles - seven solo - for his third career double-digit tackle game.
BY THE NUMBERS