Football Postgame Notes vs. Marshall
Oct. 22, 2011
2. The Cougars improved to 3-0 in Conference USA play for the second time in the last four years (2008) under head coach Kevin Sumlin... It also marked the program's ninth 3-0 start in conference play... Those teams included 2008 in Conference USA; 1990, 1984, 1979, 1978, 1976 in Southwest Conference; and 1956, 1952 in Missouri Valley Conference.
3. Saturday's contest marked the seventh-straight game that the Cougars scored at least 35 points. .. It was their fourth straight game with at least 49 points and the third time in the last four games with at least 56 points.
4. Saturday's attendance of 32,107 was the fourth-largest crowd in the history of Robertson Stadium... Of the top 14 crowds in the facility's history, 11 have been recorded since the 2009 season... The top-three biggest attendances were 32,119 (vs. UTEP, Sept. 10, 2010); 32,119, vs. Texas State (Sept. 4, 2010) and 32,114, vs. Texas Tech (Sept. 26, 2009).
5. During the last 12 quarters at Robertson Stadium, Houston has outscored its opponents 175-31.
6. In 2011, Houston has posted 25 scoring drives of six plays or less... In addition, Houston has recorded 27 scoring drives of two minutes or less.
7. Houston finished with 621 total yards of offense against Marshall. That is the fourth straight game with at least 550 yards and the fifth overall this season.
Case Keenum IN THE NCAA RECORDS BOOK
9. Keenum's 30-yard pass to senior wide receiver Justin Johnson in the first quarter on 1st-and-10 from the Houston 29 was the play on which Keenum officially set the NCAA career record.
10. With six touchdowns responsible for (passing + rushing) Saturday, Keenum set another career record in that category... Keenum now has 150 touchdowns responsible for during his career... He moved past Central Michigan's Dan LeFevour, who was responsible for 149 touchdowns and finished his career in 2010.
11. With 376 passing yards, Keenum moved higher in the NCAA records book... Keenum now has 16,271 passing yards to rank second in NCAA career history... Up next in the NCAA records book is Hawai'i's Timmy Chang who set the NCAA career passing record with 17,072 yards from 2000 to 2004.
12. With a career-high six touchdown passes, Keenum moved higher in the NCAA career records book... Keenum now has 130 career touchdown passes to rank third in NCAA career history... Up next in the NCAA records book is Hawaii's Colt Brennan, who threw for 131 touchdowns from 2005-07... Texas Tech's Graham Harrell holds the NCAA career record with 134 touchdown passes from 2005 to 2008.
Case Keenum NOTES
14. With six touchdown passes, Keenum tied his career high... His equaled his personal best set against Tulsa on Nov. 15, 2008).
15. With Saturday's win, Keenum won his 19th consecutive home game at Robertson Stadium... Keenum improved to 19-1 overall in home games as a starter during his career... Keenum's only home loss as a starter was a 37-35 loss to East Carolina on Sept. 29, 2007.
16. During his amazing home winning streak, Keenum has thrown 66 touchdown passes with only nine interceptions.
17. With Saturday's performance, Keenum now has 23 touchdown passes and only two interceptions to date in 2011... Keenum has thrown no interceptions in six of the Cougars' seven games to date.
18. Keenum has now thrown 164 consecutive passes without an interception... That ranks as the third-longest streak in school history... Keenum now owns three of the top four passing streaks without an interception in school history... Keenum's last interception came in the third quarter at Louisiana Tech on Sept. 17.
19. With six touchdown passes, Keenum posted the 33rd multi-touchdown game of his career.
20. With 376 passing yards, Keenum posted the 31st 300-yard game of his career.
21. Keenum improved to 31-13 all-time as the Cougars' starting quarterback... He owns the school career record with his win total.
23. Senior wide receiver Patrick Edwards recorded the 13th 100-yard receiving game of his career... That total ranks fourth in Houston career history... Up next in the Houston records book are Manny Hazard (1989-90) and Elmo Wright (1968-70), who finished with 14 100-yard receiving games during their respective careers.
24. Edwards recorded a reception in his 41st consecutive game.
25. With two receiving touchdowns, senior running back Michael Hayes set a personal high... His total topped his previous best of one, done five times and most recently at Louisiana Tech on Sept. 10, 2011.
26. Senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier recorded a reception in his nation-leading 46th consecutive game, every game of his collegiate career.
27. With his touchdown reception in the first quarter senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier moved into a tie for seventh place in career touchdown receptions with James Cleveland (2009-10)... Up next on the list is 22 touchdown receptions held by Ken Hebert (1965-67).
29. With two interceptions, the Cougars have recorded six pickoffs in their last two games... Five different players (Phillip Steward 2, Derrick Mathews 2, Thomas Bates and Kelvin King) have recorded at least one interception during that stretch.
30. Freshman linebacker Derrick Mathews' 20-yard interception return for touchdown at the 4:49 mark of the third quarter was the first score of his collegiate career.
31. Mathews' interception return was the Cougars' second defensive score this season... Senior linebacker Marcus McGraw returned a fumble 34 yards for a touchdown against UTEP on Sept. 29.
32. With his 12 assists in tackles, senior linebacker Marcus McGraw ties the school career record with 228 assists... Wade Phillips also had 228 assists from 1966-68.
33. Senior linebacker Sammy Brown finished the game with 2.5 tackles for a loss, moving him into ninth place with 36.5 career tackles for a loss... Up next in a tie for seventh place are Lance Everson (2002-05) and Reggie Burnette with 38 career tackles for a loss.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
36. The Cougars' 63 points were the most scored against the Thundering Herd... The Cougars' previous high came in a 35-28 win in Houston on Nov. 17, 2007.
38. This will be the Cougars' second Thursday night game of the season... Houston won 49-42 at UTEP on Sept. 29 in their other Thursday contest.