Oct. 26, 2013
Final Stats | Quotes | Photo Gallery
BY THE NUMBERS
0 - The Cougars allowed zero points in the second half for the second time this season.
1 - With the win today the Cougars find themselves still in first place in the American Athletic Conference with a 3-0 record
2 - Two Houston players caught their first career touchdown passes today in Demarcus Ayers (26 yards) and Aaron Johnson (22 yards).
4 - Once again the Houston offense scored in all four quarters today, making it 35 straight quarters the Cougars have scored in going back to 2012.
5 - Deontay Greenberry has scored a touchdown in five of Houston's seven games this season.
6 - Houston collects its sixth win of the season making the Cougars bowl eligible for the seventh time in the last nine seasons.
10 - Two players recorded a game-high tying 10 tackles today for Houston in Trevon Stewart and Steven Taylor
15 - Houston has recorded multiple turnovers in 14 straight games dating back to 2012.
27 - Houston has forced opponents into 27 turnovers this season (6 today).
28 - Houston scored 28 points of off turnovers today.
37 - Houston held Rutgers scoreless over the last 37:03.
49 - Houston scored 49 points today. It's the fourth time this season the Cougars have scored 40+ points.
93 - Houston as scored 93 points off of 27 turnovers this season
168 - Deontay Greenberry had a career-high 168 receiving yards today.
52,200 - Today's attendance at High Points Solutions Stadium was 52,200. It marks the largest crowd Houston has played in front of this season.
• Houston defeats Rutgers 49-14, becoming bowl eligible for the seventh time in the last nine seasons and for the first time in the Tony Levine era. The six wins also surpasses last year's overall win total (five).
• Houston moves to 6-1 on the season, which marks team's best seven-game start since 2011 when the Cougars began 7-0. The 3-0 AAC record is also the team's best three-game league start since the 2011 season and keeps Houston in a tie for first place with UCF and USF. Today's game marked the first meeting between Houston and Rutgers all-time.
• Houston's overall record improves to 394-342-15 all-time.
• Today marked the second straight contest Houston has allowed its opponent to score first and it's the fourth time in the last five games. However, the Cougars are now 3-1 in those games.
• Today was the second consecutive "homecoming" game the Cougars have participated in.
• Houston has scored in all 28 quarters this season and now has 35 straight quarters with a score, dating back to Nov. 17, 2012 at Marshall.
• Houston is the only FBS team to score in every quarter this season.
• The Cougars have now recorded back-to-back games with two 100+ yard receivers in Deontay Greenberry (168) and Daniel Spencer (117). Eight Houston Cougar receivers have recorded 100+ yard games this season.
• The Cougars constructed two scoring drives of 12 seconds in the second quarter, which equals the quickest scoring drives of the season (12 seconds at Temple).
• Houston has scored 40+ points in two straight games and four of seven contests overall this season.
• The Houston offense has had scoring drives of two minutes or less on 19 occasions this season and nine under one minute or less, with two coming in the first half vs. Rutgers (two 12-second drives).
• Houston's 21-point second quarter was the most points the Cougars have put up in any second quarter this season (17, twice vs. BYU and UTSA).
• Houston has scored double-digit points in 12 quarters this season.
• Houston has put together 600+ yards of offense for the second time this season and the 611 total yards mark a season high.
• Houston has outscored opponents 240-46 in the second half as opposed to outscoring the opposition just 150-110 in the first half.
• Houston leads the nation in forced turnovers with 27 after collecting six today (11 fumbles, 16 interceptions). The Cougars' 20+ turnover margin also leads the nation.
• The Cougars notched their 15th straight game dating back to 2012 with multiple turnovers. Houston matches its season-high in turnovers forced this season with five (UTSA)
• Houston's six total turnovers and five interceptions both mark season highs.
• Houston has forced 27 total turnovers this season, which has resulted in 93 points. The Cougars scored 28 points off of turnovers today.
• Today marked the second time Houston has shutout an opponent in the second half this season (Sept. 7 at Temple). The Houston defense has surrendered 110 first half points this season as opposed to only giving up 40 second half points.
• Recorded a career-high 364 yards passing, which is his third career 300-yard passing performance. He also threw for a career high five touchdowns.
• His 83-yard touchdown pass to Greenberry in the second quarter represented his longest career pass.
• O'Korn has thrown at least two touchdown passes in five consecutive contests.
• He leads all FBS true freshman in passing touchdowns with 19.
Greg Ward Jr.
• Notched his second career rushing TD today.
• Recorded a career-high in rushes with 91 yards.
• His 168 yards receiving and three receiving touchdowns both mark career highs.
• Notched his longest career reception with his 83-yard touchdown grab with 6:46 left in the second quarter, also notched his third career multiple touchdown game.
• Went over 100+ yards receiving for the fourth time this season.
• Notched his career-high in receptions with four.
• He recorded his first career touchdown reception with a 22-yard grab in the third quarter.
• Hauled in his first career his first career reception.
• Recorded a season-long run with his 40-yard touchdown in the second quarter while recording his third rushing score of the season. The run was the second-longest of his career (48 yards twice last season).
• Caught his first career pass today in the second quarter, it was a 26-yard touchdown pass with 5:54 left in the second quarter.
• Recorded his first career interception with 6:33 left in the first quarter. He notched his first career multi-interception with his pick in the fourth quarter.
• Recorded his first career multi-interception game with two. The two turnovers forced mark a career high.
• Recorded his first multi-turnover game, as he forced and recovered a fumble and picked off a pass.
• Notched his second interception on the year with 1:53 left in the first quarter.
• Recorded a game-high tying 10 tackles.
• Recorded a game-high tying 10 tackles.