Oct. 28, 2011
1. With Thursday's win, the Cougars improved to 8-0 for only the third time in school history... It is the first time since 1990... The only other Houston team that started 8-0 came in 1979.
2. Houston is one of four teams so far to start the season 8-0. They join Clemson, LSU and Alabama.
3. With Thursday's win, the Cougars recorded at least eight wins under head coach Kevin Sumlin for the third time in four seasons. The last time that happened at Houston was 1976-79 under Bill Yeoman. Sumlin in the winningest head coach over his first three+ seasons at Houston. He is now 31-16 all-time.
4. The Cougars improved to 4-0 in Conference USA play for the first time in school history... It also marked the program's fifth 4-0 start in conference play... Those teams included 1990, 1979 and 1978 in Southwest Conference; and 1956 in Missouri Valley Conference.
5. Thursday's contest marked the eighth-straight game that the Cougars scored at least 35 points. .. It was their fifth straight game with at least 49 points and the fourth time in the last four games with at least 56 points.
6. During the last 16 quarters at Robertson Stadium, Houston has outscored its opponents 248-65.
7. In 2011, Houston has posted 31 scoring drives of six plays or less... In addition, Houston has recorded 34 scoring drives of two minutes or less.
8. Houston finished with 656 total yards of offense against Rice. That is the fifth straight game with at least 550 yards and the sixth overall this season.
9. This was Houston's second non-Saturday game of the season after a 49-42 win at UTEP on Thursday, Sept. 29... Houston is 39-29-1 all-time in games played on non-Saturdays... Houston is 8-12 all-time when playing on Thursdays.
10. Thursday's attendance of 32,112 marks the fourth largest crowd in Robertson Stadium history.
11. In the last eight quarters of play, Houston has run 118 plays and scored 136 points.
13. With 534 passing yards, Keenum moved closer to another NCAA record... Keenum now has 16,805 passing yards to rank second in NCAA career history... Up next in the NCAA records book is Hawai'i's Timmy Chang who set the NCAA career passing record with 17,072 yards from 2000 to 2004.
14. With nine touchdown passes, Keenum set the NCAA career records for touchdown passes... Keenum now has 139 career touchdown passes in NCAA career history... He passed Texas Tech's Graham Harrell who previously held the NCAA career record with 134 touchdown passes from 2005 to 2008.
15. With 534 passing yards, Keenum posted the 33rd 300-yard game of his career and the 16th 400-yard game of his career. Keenum ties the NCAA record with 33 300-yard games with former BYU QB Ty Detmer (1988-91).
Case Keenum NOTES
16. With Thursday's win, Keenum won his 20th consecutive home game at Robertson Stadium... Keenum improved to 20-1 overall in home games as a starter during his career... Keenum's only home loss as a starter was a 37-35 loss to East Carolina on Sept. 29, 2007.
17. During his amazing home winning streak, Keenum has thrown 75 touchdown passes with only ten interceptions.
18. With Thursday's performance, Keenum now has 32 touchdown passes and only three interceptions to date in 2011.
19. Keenum threw 167 consecutive passes until his first quarter interception... That streak ranks as the third-longest streak in school history and the second longest of his career... Keenum now owns three of the top four passing streaks without an interception in school history.
20. With nine touchdown passes, Keenum posted the 34rd multi-touchdown game of his career.
21. Keenum set a career-high with nine touchdown passes... that is second all-time at Houston and the most ever in a Conference USA game. David Klingler also had nine touchdown passes against Louisiana Tech on Aug. 31, 1991.
22. Keenum improved to 31-13 all-time as the Cougars' starting quarterback... He owns the school career record with his win total.
23. This is Keenum's 20th come from behind victory in his career.
24. This is the first time in Keenum's career that he has thrown for at least five touchdowns in back-to-back games.
25. Through the second and third quarters, Keenum was 19-for-27 for 400 yards with seven touchdowns and no interceptions.
26. The Cougars' 73 points tie the single-game total under head coach Kevin Sumlin... It ties 73, vs. Rice on Nov. 29, 2008.
27. Senior wide receiver Patrick Edwards recorded the 14th 100-yard receiving game of his career... That total ranks second in Houston career history... Up next in the Houston records book is Vincent Marshall with 15 career 100-yard receiving games.
28. Edwards has recorded 100-yards receiving in four-straight games.... Its marks the first time a Cougar has recorded 100-yards receiving in four consecutive games since Vincent Marshall did so in 2004.
29. Edwards recorded a reception in his 42nd consecutive game.
30. Edwards has recorded a touchdown pass in four consecutive games.
31. With his 318 receiving yards, Edwards set a career-high, passing his previous best of 187 yards receiving earlier this season at North Texas. It is also the second most in school single game history, passing the 262 yards by Elmo Wright against Wyoming on Nov. 22, 1969. Donnie Avery owns the school record with 346 yards against Rice in 2007.
32. Edwards 318 receiving yards are the second-most in C-USA history and his 45.4 yards per catch set a C-USA record.
33. Edwards has caught at least two touchdown passes in seven games in his career and his third this season.
34. Edwards' five touchdown receptions tie the school record for touchdown receptions in a single game and are the most in C-USA... Manny Hazard also had five touchdown passes against Baylor on Oct. 17, 1989.
35. This is the third time in his career that Edwards has caught at least three touchdown passes.
36. With his five touchdown receptions, Edwards tied the school record for career touchdown receptions with 34. Elmo Wright also had 34 touchdown receptions from 1968-70.
37. Edwards' 318 receiving yards and five touchdown receptions are an NCAA single-game high this season.
38. Senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier recorded a reception in his nation-leading 47th consecutive game, every game of his collegiate career.
39. Senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier, with his seven receptions, set the school record for career receptions at 277. Vincent Marshall previously held the record with 272 receptions from 2003-06.
40. With his touchdown reception in the second quarter senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier broke a tie for seventh place with 21 career touchdown receptions with James Cleveland (2009-10)... Up next on the list is 22 touchdown receptions held by Ken Hebert (1965-67).
41. Sophomore running back Charles Sims has recorded a touchdown in five consecutive games.
42. With his six assists in tackles, senior linebacker Marcus McGraw set the school record with 234 assists... Wade Phillips previously held the record with 228 from 1966-68.
43. Senior linebacker Sammy Brown finished the game with two tackles for a loss, moving him into seventh place with 38.5 career tackles for a loss... Up next is a tie for sixth place with Glen Montgomery with 39 tackles for a loss.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
44. With his kickoff return to start the game, senior kick returner Tyron Carrier tied the NCAA record with seven career kickoff returns. ... Former Clemson running back C.J. Spiller also had seven kickoff returns from 2006 to 2009.
45. Senior kick returner Tyron Carrier's kickoff return to start the game was his second against Rice. He also returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown 99 yards to open the game on Nov. 28, 2009 at Robertson Stadium.
46. With his 13 points against Rice, junior kicker Matt Hogan moved into second place in the school career kick scoring record with 244 points.
47. The Cougars' fumble in the first quarter snapped a three-game streak without a turnover.
48. The Cougars are 27-11 all-time against Rice... The Cougars are 13-5 against the Owls on the Cougars' home field.
49. The Cougars meet Conference USA-rival UAB in Birmingham at 6 p.m. on CBS Sports Network.