Nov. 5, 2011
1. With Saturday's win, the Cougars became the first team in school history to win each of its first nine games... Only two teams (1990, 1979) won their first eight games to open a season before suffering a loss in the ninth contest.
2. Head coach Kevin Sumlin is the winningest head coach over his first three+ seasons at Houston. He is now 32-16 all-time.
3. The Cougars improved to 5-0 in Conference USA play for the first time in school history... It also marked the program's fourth 5-0 start in conference play... Those teams included 1990, 1979 and 1978 in Southwest Conference.
4. Saturday's contest marked the ninth straight game that the Cougars scored at least 35 points. It was their sixth straight game with at least 49 points.
5. In 2011, Houston has posted 33 scoring drives of six plays or less... In addition, Houston has recorded 35 scoring drives of two minutes or less.
6. Houston finished with 654 total yards of offense against UAB and scored 56 points. That is the seventh straight game with at least 550 yards and the eighth overall this season
7. The Cougars recorded their fourth straight game with at least 56 points... It was the fifth time this season that Houston reached that total.
Case Keenum IN THE NCAA RECORDS BOOK
8. Quarterback Case Keenum broke the NCAA career passing record in the third quarter with a 16-yard pass to Justin Johnson. Johnson hauled in a 26-yard pass from Keenum the play earlier to tie Timmy Chang (Hawaii) for the most passing yards in NCAA history, but the second consecutive catch broke the record. Chang threw for 17,072 yards from 2000 to 2004. Keenum finished Saturday's game with 17,212 career passing yards.
9. Keenum has an NCAA-record 18,101 yards of total offense (17,212 pass, 889 rush) during his career.
10. Keenum pushed his NCAA career record to 141 touchdown passes.
11. Keenum also added two rushing scores, the 21st and 22nd of his career. He now has 163 career TDs accounted for.
12. With 407 passing yards, Keenum posted the 34th 300-yard game of his career and the 17th 400-yard game of his career. Keenum passed former BYU QB Ty Detmer (1988-91) for second on the list and needs two more300-yard days to equal the 36 of Chang, the NCAA record.
Case Keenum NOTES
13. Keenum now has 34 touchdown passes and only three interceptions to date in 2011.
14. With two touchdown passes, Keenum posted the 35th multi-touchdown game of his career.
15. Keenum improved to 33-13 all-time as the Cougars' starting quarterback... He owns the school career record with his win total.
16. This is Keenum's 21st come-from-behind victory during his career. Houston has rebounded from five first-quarter deficits for wins in 2011.
17. Keenum opened Saturday's game by completing his first 11 passes for 72 yards. He finished last week's game vs. Rice with back-to-back completions for a run of 13 consecutive completions.
18. Senior wide receiver Tyron Carrier recorded a reception in his nation-leading 48th consecutive game, every game of his collegiate career. The UH career record is 50 consecutive games set by Vincent Marshall (2003-06).
19. Carrier broke his career best with 12 catches in Saturday's win. He nearly broke that mark in the first half, where he recorded 10 catches. His previous high was 11 grabs at ECU and at UTEP in 2009.
20. Carrier also topped 100 yards receiving for the second time this season. He had 10 catches for 138 yards in the season-opener against UCLA. He now has 11 career 100-yard games with his 105 yards receiving at UAB.
21. Carrier boosted his Houston career record to 289 receptions.
22. With his touchdown reception in the first quarter, Carrier moved into a tie for sixth place with Ken Hebert (1965-67) in school career history with 22 career touchdown receptions... Up next in the Houston records book is Brandon Middleton, who caught 24 touchdown passes from 1999 to 2003.
23. Senior wide receiver Justin Johnson tied his career high with seven receptions in Saturday's win. He narrowly missed a new career high for yardage, finishing with 91 yards and a score. Johnson has caught a TD pass in three consecutive games.
24. Senior wide receiver Patrick Edwards finished Saturday's game with five catches for 79 yards. He is just nine yards off the national lead for receiving yardage with 1,148 yards, just behind Oklahoma's Ryan Broyles who has 1,157 yards this season.
25. Edwards recorded a reception in his 43rd consecutive game.
26. Sophomore running back Charles Sims has recorded a touchdown in six consecutive games. Sims now has seven rushing scores on the season.
27. Senior running back Michael Hayes also added his seventh rushing score in the third quarter. Hayes is tied for the team lead with Sims. Both players are just four rushing scores away from joining the school single-season Top 10.
28. Senior quarterback Cotton Turner found freshman Daniel Spencer on a 9-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter for Turner's third passing score of the season and Spencer's second TD catch of his career.
29. Senior linebacker Sammy Brown finished the game with three tackles for a loss, moving him into fifth place with 41.5 career tackles for a loss. He needs 1.5 more TFLs to move into fourth place.
30. Sammy Brown's second quarter sack pushed his season total to 9.5, tops on the club. Brown entered Saturday third nationally with his 8.5 sacks this season. Brown had two tackles for loss in the game and now has 20.5 on the year. He came into Saturday's game No. 1 nationally in TFLs at 2.3 per game.
31. Junior cornerback D.J. Hayden iced the game with his second career interception. He returned it 52 yards for his first career score. Hayden is the third Cougar defender with a TD return for score, joining Derrick Mathews (20-yard INT return vs. Marshall) and Marcus McGraw (34-yard fumble return at UTEP).
32. Sophomore defensive lineman Zeke Riser and junior defensive lineman Radermon Scypion combined on their first sack of the season. It pushed Riser's career total to 3.0 and was the first of Scypion's career.
SPECIAL TEAMS NOTES
33. With his seven points against UAB, junior kicker Matt Hogan pushed his career scoring total to 251 points, second all-time in school history.
34. The Cougars meet Conference USA-rival Tulane inside the Louisiana Superdome in New Orleans... Kickoff of set for 7 p.m., Nov. 10... It will be the Cougars' third Thursday game of the season... The game will be televised live on CBS Sports Network.