Golf Finishes in 20th Place at Hawai'i Tournament
Feb. 13, 2004
WAIKOLOA, Hawai'i - The University of Houston golf team fired its best round of the tournament during the final round of the Taylor Made Waikoloa Intercollegiate on Friday, but it would not be enough to move up the team leaderboard.
With a final-round score of 290, UH bettered its previous tournament-best round by 11 strokes. However, the Cougars finished in a tie with Oregon State for 20th-place with a three-day total of 894, 53 strokes behind champion Georgia Tech.
UCLA, Arkansas, Arizona State, Oklahoma, Washington, USC, UC Davis, TCU and Pepperdine rounded out the top 10 team leaders.
Individually, UH sophomore co-captain Zach Mowbray continued his steady play throughout the tournament, firing a 1-under-par 71 for the second straight day. He finished in tie for 24th-place at 2-under-par 214.
Sophomore Kevin Newman posted the Cougars' lowest round of the tournament with a 70 on Thursday and tied for 78th at 8-over-par 224. Senior Denton Walker, who was the only Cougar to better his score with each round, rebounded to shoot an even-par 72 in the final round and tied for 94th place at 14-over-par 230.
Oklahoma's Anthony Kim recorded his second consecutive round of 67 to take medallist honors with a score of 11-under-par 205. Hawai'i-Hilo's Nick Mason and Chez Reavie of Arizona State tied for second at 9-under-par 207.
UH returns to action on Feb. 23-24 at the Southeastern Louisiana/Beau Chene Intercollegiate in Hammond, La.
1. Anthony Kim, Oklahoma 71-67-67 -- 205
2. Nick Mason, Hawai'i-Hilo 70-68-69 -- 207
2. Chez Reavie, Arizona State 71-67-69 -- 207
4. Scott Gordon, UC Davis 70-66-72 -- 208
5. Michael Putnam, Pepperdine 72-68-69 -- 209
5. Chan Wongluekiet, Georgia Tech 69-71-69 - 209
5. Matt Bortis, Arkansas 72-68-69 -- 209
8. Zack Miller, Stanford 69-73-68 -- 210
8. Dan Potter, Washington 72-67-71 -- 210
8. Travis Johnson, UCLA 70-69-71 -- 210
8. J.J. Killeen, TCU 69-70-71 -- 210