HOUSTON– The Houston Cougar Soccer team remains perfect inside the Carl Lewis Complex after a convincing 4-1 win over non-conference foe Southern Mississippi, Friday evening.
How It Happened
With a little fancy footwork and a lot of aggressive play, the #HTownHustle secured its third consecutive home win this season. Senior, Selena Peters, would get things going for Houston knocking in her second goal of season at the tail end of the 28th minute. Peters chipped the keeper from the top of the box, securing a 1-0 lead for the Cougars.
Ten minutes later Southern Miss’ Kiersten Bradley would notch her first goal of the season, taking advantage of a deflection inside the box.
With the match tied 1-1 at the break, Houston came out aggressively after the intermission. Goalkeeper, Rachel Estopare put on a strong performance, holding off a barrage of shots in the opening minutes of the second half. Inside the 56th minute Kelsey Thein connected with Hannah Dauzat for a rocket to the left corner of the net to give Houston a 2-1 lead.
Less than ten minutes later Thein would line up for a Houston free kick, connecting with Mia Brascia who would head the ball into the net for her first goal of the season.
With just under fifteen minutes left Madison Soileau joined in on the action, earning her second goal of the season. Soileau cut to the right side of the net and sent the ball flying right by the keeper to extend the Houston lead to three.
Keeper Out Of My Way
- Estopare played every minute in goal for Houston racking up her second consecutive match with 10 or more saves.
- The junior shined in the final minute of play, saving a Southern Miss free kick and ensuring a 4-1 victory.
Lending a Hand
- Thein post the first two-assists game this season for Houston and now sits tied with Soileau for most assists this season.
- Houston was outshot by Southern Miss 16-12.
- This marks the third time this season that Houston has scored three or more goals.
- Last season the Cougars scored a total of 21 goals and so far this season they’ve racked up 12.
- Last season Houston posted 18 assists and so far this season they have posted seven.
- Houston is outscoring its opponents 7-5 in the second half, 5-3 in the first, and 12-8 overall.
- UH is now 11-0-3 against Southern Miss
Houston will return to Carl Lewis Complex on Sunday for a 5 p.m. matchup with former rival Lamar.
Dog Days of Summer: Bring your canine friends to the Carl Lewis Complex as Houston host Lamar Sept. 10. Admission is free with the donation of two non-perishable foods.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 athletic season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Soccer, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, and Softball home games. To purchase a Shasta Pass, click HERE. Fans that purchase a Shasta Pass will enter the game on a VIP List at the entrance to each sport facility. Please bring a Photo ID.
FOLLOW THE COUGARS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in University of Houston Cougar athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HoustonAthletics), Twitter (@UHCougars), Instagram (houstoncougars) and YouTube.com (Youtube.com/UHAthletics). In addition, the soccer team has established its own official Facebook (Facebook.com/UHCougarSoccer) and Twitter pages (@UHCougarSoccer), which provide regular updates on the team and live results during home matches.