HOUSTON – The Houston Cougar Soccer team remains unbeaten at home after posting a 0-0 tie against in-state rival Lamar, Sunday evening at the Carl Lewis Complex.
How It Happened
In its longest match of the season, Houston managed to hold off 23 shots from the Lamar offense en route to its first tie under head coach Diego Bocanegra. The Cougars came out aggressively in the opening frame, racking up three shots that were on target in the first 10 minutes of play.
Houston showcased its scrappy, blue-collar, style of play throughout the match, securing key possessions when it mattered most.
Freshman Mia Brascia earned her first start and led Houston in the shot column with four, including a pair of on target attempts in the waning seconds of the first and second halves.
Rachel Estopare played every minute in goal for the #HTownHustle, closing out the weekend with 18 saves, 8 of which she posted tonight.
- Estopare picked up her second shutout of the season and now has eight or more saves in four games this season.
- If the season were to end today the junior would be third all-time in single-season goals against average with 1.22.
The Young and the Restless
- All three freshman that appeared in the match picked up at least one shot and accounted for six of the 19 shots recorded by Houston.
- The freshmen class has accounted for 14 of the 31 shots taken by Houston this season and three of the 12 goals scored this season.
- Houston was outshot by Lamar 23-19, but outshot the Cardinals in OT 6-2
- The Cougars racked up four more corner kicks than Lamar.
- Houston now leads the all-time series with Lamar 1-0
Houston will hit the road for the remainder of September beginning with a two-match road trip next week to New Mexico where it will face New Mexico and New Mexico State.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 athletic season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Soccer, Women’s Basketball, Volleyball, and Softball home games. To purchase a Shasta Pass, click HERE. Fans that purchase a Shasta Pass will enter the game on a VIP List at the entrance to each sport facility. Please bring a Photo ID.
FOLLOW THE COUGARS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in University of Houston Cougar athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HoustonAthletics), Twitter (@UHCougars), Instagram (houstoncougars) and YouTube.com (Youtube.com/UHAthletics). In addition, the soccer team has established its own official Facebook (Facebook.com/UHCougarSoccer) and Twitter pages (@UHCougarSoccer), which provide regular updates on the team and live results during home matches.