HOUSTON -- The Houston Soccer team will head out on the road for its first of four consecutive road matches this weekend against Cal-State Northridge and Rice. The Cougars will travel to Los Angeles for a Thursday evening match, before heading back to Houston for a Sunday afternoon meeting with the Owls.
The Last Meeting
September 6, 2013
The Last Meeting
October 26, 2012
- Houston is coming off a two-game win streak after taking down Texas Southern and Northern Arizona opening weekend.
- The Cougars outscored opponents 7-1 last weekend, posting their first shutout of the season over Texas Southern.
- UH has already posted seven goals this season, which is one third of the number of totals goals scored during the 2016 season.
- Six Cougars have scored goals already this season, which is equal to the total number of people who scored goals all of last season.
- Five freshman saw action in the first two matches of the season for Houston.
- Jazmin Grant led the charge with an assist and two goals en route to American Rookie of the Week honors.
- Rachel Estopare and Kaitlin Sterner each spent time in goal for Houston last weekend, posting a combined .875 save percentage.
- Estopare earned her first shutout of the 2017 season against Texas Southern and heads into this week with five saves.
- Sterner posted a pair of timely saves against Northern Arizona in 45 minutes of action and compiled a .667 save percentage.
Scouting the Matadors
- Cal-State Northridge heads into this week sitting at 0-0-2 overall after tying with #24 Long Beach State and Pacific.
- Marissa Favela and Kirsten Von Meter lead CSUN with one goal each.
- Payton Jo Armijo and Avery DeWitt lead the squad in assist with one each.
- The Matadors' enter their 12th season under head coach Keith West after winning their first ever Big West regular season title.
Scouting the Owls
- Rice is off to a 1-1-0 start this season after falling to Texas in its season opener, followed by a 4-0 victory over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi.
- Four different Owls have knocked in goals this season, as well as four other players with assist.
- Rice is in its seventh season under head coach Nicky Adams after posting an overall 11-5-1 record last season.
Houston will continue its road swing when its heads down to Starkville, Miss. to take on Mississippi State Sept. 1. The Cougars will then head down to Louisiana where they will face LSU Sept. 3.
The Houston Athletics Ticket Office is proud to offer the Shasta Pass for the 2017-18 athletic season. For just $80, Cougar fans can purchase one Shasta Pass, which allows season-long general admission entrance to all Houston Soccer, Women's Basketball, Volleyball, and Softball home games. To purchase a Shasta Pass, click HERE. Fans that purchase a Shasta Pass will enter the game on a VIP List at the entrance to each sport facility. Please bring a Photo ID.
FOLLOW THE COUGARS!
Fans can keep up with the latest in University of Houston Cougar athletics by following us on Facebook (Facebook.com/HoustonAthletics), Twitter (@UHCougars), Instagram (houstoncougars) and YouTube.com (Youtube.com/UHAthletics). In addition, the soccer team has established its own official Facebook (Facebook.com/UHCougarSoccer) and Twitter pages (@UHCougarSoccer), which provide regular updates on the team and live results during home matches.