GREENVILLE, N.C. -- The No. 2 seeded University of Houston Softball team will open its participation in the 2017 American Athletic Conference Championship with a 2:30 p.m. CT first pitch against No. 7 seed UConn on Thursday at ECU Softball Complex.
|Up To The Plate|
Wednesday, May 10
2:30 p.m. CT
| • No. 2 seed Houston vs. No. 7 seed UConn
ECU Softball Complex | Greenville, N.C.
|Live Stats | The American Digital Network|
THE AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP ADJUSTED
The American Championship, hosted by East Carolina, was adjusted late Monday night due to inclement weather in the forecast. The tournament, originally scheduled for May 11-13, will now feature two games on Wednesday, May 10, the initially scheduled practice day. The opening game of the tournament will see No. 3 seed UCF and No. 6 seed ECU (Game 1) face off at noon CT with Houston's matchup with UConn to follow in Game 2.
To maximize the amount of games being played on Thursday, the winners of Game 1 and Game 2 will play in Game 4 on Thursday at approximately 11:30 a.m. CT. The Game 4 winner will subsequently have a bye on Friday.
Additionally, the matchup between No. 4 seed USF and No. 5 seed Memphis (Game 3) will remain on Thursday but will now be played at 9 a.m. CT as opposed to 10 a.m. CT. Game 5 between No. 1 seed Tulsa and the Game 3 winner will be played Friday at noon CT. The American Championship Game will remain at 11 a.m. CT on Saturday.
Live stats will be available for all six games. Games 1-5 will be carried on The American Digital Network. Saturday's championship game will air on ESPN.
UPDATED TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE
Wednesday, May 10
• Game 1 | No. 3 seed UCF vs. No. 6 seed East Carolina | 12 p.m. CT | Live Stats | American Digital Network
• Game 2 |No. 2 seed Houston vs. No. 7 seed UConn | 2:30 p.m. CT | Live Stats | American Digital Network
Thursday, May 11
• Game 3| No. 4 seed USF vs. No. 5 seed Memphis | 9 a.m. CT | Live Stats | American Digital Network
• Game 4 | Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner | 11:30 a.m. CT | Live Stats | American Digital Network
• Over the weekend, Houston picked up a 2-1 American Athletic Conference series win over USF to close out the regular season. The Cougars rallied from a 3-0 loss on Friday to pick up 3-1 and 5-4 (10 innings) victories to pick up their fifth series victory in league play. Houston's 3-1 Saturday victory clinched second place for the Cougars under first-year head Coach Kristin Vesely, the highest in program history as a member of The American.
• In the final week of the regular season, sophomore Maya Thomas led Houston with a .556/.600/.556 slash, going 10-for-18, 4 RBI, 3 runs scored and two stolen bases. For her efforts, she was named to The American Weekly Honor Roll.
• Houston finished the regular season as the league-leader in batting average (.303), on base percentage (.384), hits (418), RBI (238) and runs scored (273).
• Individually, sophomore Maya Thomas ranks second in The American in batting average (.438), while senior Shelby Miller (.385) and freshman Arielle James (.367) rank fourth and seventh, respectively. James leads all freshmen in batting average. Miller leads the conference in RBI (51) and runs (45), ranking second in slugging percentage (.646).
• In the circle, sophomore Savannah Heebner leads the team with an 13-10 record and 2.35 ERA. Heebner's 13 wins rank fourth in The American, while her ERA sits fifth. Freshman Trystan Melancon is 12-7 with a 2.90 ERA. Melancon's 12 wins rank fifth in conference, second among freshmen. Sophomore Presley Bell is 3-6 with a 3.39 ERA and two saves. Bell has 16 appearances in relief and six starts. Freshman Hannah Wolfe carries a 4.20 ERA though nine relief appearances.
• Houston leads UConn, 11-1, in the all-time series after sweeping the Huskies earlier this season. The two teams have never faced off in The American Championship. The Cougars are 2-3 all-time in league tournament.
Cougar Softball Stadium
Cougars Throttle UConn to Sweep Series
The University of Houston Softball team set the American Athletic Conference record with 22 runs scored in a 22-0, five-inning run rule of UConn to sweep the series, 3-0, on Sunday afternoon at Cougar Softball Stadium.
No. 7 Seed UCONN
2017 Overall Record: 17-30, 3-14 The American
Head Coach: Jen McIntyre
Record at School: 54-98 (3rd Season)
Career Record: Same
All-Time Series: 11-1
Last Meeting: 2017 (W, 22-0 -- five innings)
JOIN DIAMOND CLUB
Fans can help support the Houston Softball program by joining the Diamond Club. To find out more information about the Diamond Club, visit UHCougars.com or call Cougar Pride at (713) 743-GOUH. For more information, CLICK HERE.