Sept. 26, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston softball team ranked among the nation's best in team GPA as announced by the NFCA recently. The Cougars ranked No. 8 in the nation with a 3.53 GPA during the 2012-13 academic year.
"I always say credit for these types of awards goes to our academic staff and our student-athletes," said head coach Kyla Holas. "We expect to be among the best on the field, in the classroom and around the community and seeing awards like this validates what we're trying to accomplish here."
Houston compiled a 3.53 cumulative team GPA that bettered the record mark of 3.50 set last year. Thirteen members of the team earned school honor roll distinction while the entire team earned C-USA Honor Roll status. Junior Haley Outon, the 2013 C-USA Player of the Year, represented Houston as a C-USA All-Academic Team selection for the first time in her career.
The Cougars were also awarded the Conference USA Sport Academic Award for the second straight year. The honor is given to the program with the top GPA among the conference.
NCAA Division 1
1. University of Alabama - 3.690
2. Kent State University - 3.666
3. Murray State University - 3.569
4. Robert Morris University - 3.561
5. University of Northern Colorado - 3.558
6. Southern Illinois University - 3.535
7. University of Nebraska Omaha - 3.534
8. University of Houston - 3.530
9. University of Tennessee at Martin - 3.500
10. University of South Dakota - 3.480