Jan. 25, 2013
HOUSTON - Fresh off its first national ranking in nearly seven years, the University of Houston women's tennis team posted dominating wins over McNeese State and Tyler Junior College in a doubleheader on Friday to improve to 3-0 overall this season.
No. 75 Houston opened the afternoon with a 6-1 rout of McNeese State at John E. Hoff Courts and followed up across town at the Galleria Tennis and Athletic Club (GTAC) with a 6-1 win over Tyler Junior College.
"It's a tough physical test to play two matches in a day, especially with the break where you have to re-focus," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "McNeese has a great coach, Danielle Steinberg, and she'll have them top notch in no time and they're already showing progress at that level. With TJC, they're national champs almost ever year in the junior college tennis ranks and are well-coached by Dash Connell, so we were playing high quality players where the scores were more indicative of our opponents' effort and talent.
"What I wanted to get out of today was to be pushed physically and mentally," continued Sullivan "When we get to the end of the season and we're playing back-to-back matches at the conference tournament, or hopefully further, we can look back on today and draw from that."
After the Cougars dropped the opening doubles match against the Cowgirls, Charlotte Phillips and Rocio Martin Fernandez teamed up for an 8-4 victory at the top position to shift the attention to the No. 2 spot where Elena Kordolaimi and Jo Garvey trailed by a score of 7-5.
The Houston tandem fought back to even the match at seven games apiece and went back-and-forth in the tiebreaker before prevailing by a score of 12-10 as Garvey sent a winner down the baseline to secure the first point of the match.
Martin Fernandez opened singles play with a 6-0, 6-3 decision over Anastasia Surkova at the No. 3 position, and Dionne Sanders followed with a dominant 6-0, 6-3 victory over Annabelle Peacock at the No. 6 spot to quickly put the Cougars up 3-0 in the match.
Celia Fraser then registered a 6-1, 6-1 rout of Lara Pujol at the No. 2 position to clinch the Houston victory, while Maja Kazimieruk (6-2, 6-2) and Phillips (7-6, 6-1) closed out the scoring with wins at the No. 5 and No. 4 spots, respectively.
The Cougars then shifted their attention to Tyler Junior College, where Fraser and Sanders opened doubles play by stringing together four-straight games for the 8-4 win at the No. 3 position.
Kordolaimi and Garvey followed with an 8-3 defeat of the Apache duo of Enderica and Wiegard to clinch the crucial doubles point and give the Cougars the early 1-0 advantage.
Kazimieruk wasted little time in singles play, cruising to a 6-0, 6-0 win over Kirsten Pierce at the No. 5 spot before Tyler's Nelo Phiri topped Fraser by a score of 6-2, 6-3 to cut the Houston advantage in half at 2-1.
Phillips followed by defeating Kylie Reynaud by a score of 6-3, 6-4 to put the Cougars on the verge of the second victory of the day, and Kordolaimi clinched it with a 6-1, 6-3 defeat of Fausthyara Pietersz at the top position.
Martin Fernandez improved to 3-0 in dual play this season with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Alejandra Enderica while Gabriella Jansson broke through with her first collegiate dual match victory in a 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 decision over Kerry Wiegard.
The Cougars return to action at 3 p.m., on Sunday against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at John E. Hoff Courts.
No. 75 Houston 6, McNeese State 1
1. Klaudia Gawlik (McN) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 4-6, 6-3, 1-0(6)
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Lara Pujol (McN), 6-1, 6-1
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Anastasia Surkova (McN), 6-0, 6-3
4. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Diana Pirciu (McN), 7-6, 6-1
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Andreea Nenu (McN), 6-2, 6-2
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Annabelle Peacock (McN), 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 3,6,2*,5,4,1
1. Phillips/Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Pujol/Surkova (McN), 8-4
2. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) def. Gawlik/Nenu (McN), 8-7(10)
3. Pirciu/Peacock (McN) def. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1,2*
No. 75 Houston 6, Tyler Junior College 1
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Fausthyara Pietersz (TJC), 6-1, 6-3
2. Nelo Phiri (TJC) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 6-2, 6-3
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Alejandra Enderica (TJC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Kylie Reynaud (TJC), 6-3, 6-4
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Kirsten Pierce (TJC), 6-0, 6-0
6. Gabriella Jansson (UH) def. Kerry Wiegard (TJC), 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
Order of Finish: 5,2,4,1*,3,6
1. Phillips/Martin Fernandez (UH) vs. Pietersz/Phiri (TJC), 5-5, DNF
2. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) def. Enderica/Wiegard (TJC), 8-3
3. Fraser/Sanders (UH) def. Reynaud/Pierce (TJC), 8-3
Order of Finish: 3,2*