Dionne Sanders improved to 3-0 in singles play this season
Jan. 27, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team rallied back from a 3-0 deficit to force a decisive doubles round but couldn't pull off the comeback on Sunday, falling to Texas A&M-Corpus Christi by a score of 4-3 at John E. Hoff Courts.
No. 75 Houston suffered its first loss of the season to drop to 3-1 overall, while the Islanders improved to 1-0.
"That was just a great college tennis match," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "You have to go through days like this before you can appreciate winning them. I'm really proud of the way we came back from being down 3-0 to give ourselves a chance to win the match. All credit goes to Corpus Christi. They were ready and tough and they're well coached and I think they'll be a favorite to win their conference. Hopefully this is the beginning of a good rivalry."
The match looked bleak for the Cougars early on, as Houston quickly dropped matches at the No. 2, 3 and 4 singles positions to fall behind, 3-0.
Senior Maja Kazimieruk put Houston on the board with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Chelsea Horan at the No. 5 position, and sophomore Elena Kordolaimi followed suit, posting a 7-5, 7-5 win over Doris Kuselj at the top spot to pull the Cougars within 3-2.
All the attention shifted to court No. 6, where Dionne Sanders was able to outlast Leanne Mascall by a score of 2-6, 6-1, 7-5 to tie the match and force doubles play.
The Cougars kicked off doubles play in the same fashion that singles action began, as all three courts trailed by three or more games.
After Kordolaimi and Garvey fell at the No. 2 position to Horan and Burges, the Cougars started to rally back at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots.
The Islander duo of Kuselj and Nicolae was able to pull away from Phillips and Kazimieruk, however, claiming an 8-5 victory to clinch the match.
The Cougars return to action next weekend when they travel to face Southern Miss (Feb. 2) and Mississippi State (Feb. 3).
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, No. 75 Houston 3
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Doris Kuselj (TAMUCC), 7-5, 7-5
2. Maider Martin (TAMUCC) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 6-2, 6-1
3. Sandra Burges (TAMUCC) def. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH), 6-3, 6-0
4. Stefania Nicolae (TAMUCC) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 6-0, 6-3
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Chelsea Horan (TAMUCC), 7-5, 6-1
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Leanne Mascall (TAMUCC), 2-6, 6-1, 7-5
Order of Finish: 2,4,3,5,1,6
1. Kuselj/Nicolae (TAMUCC) def. Phillips/Kazimieruk (UH), 8-5
2. Horan/Burges (TAMUCC) def. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH), 8-0
3. Martin/Matuszak (TAMUCC) vs. Fraser/Sanders, 6-5, DNF
Order of Finish: 2,1*