Jan. 31, 2014
HOUSTON--- The Cougars earned their third consecutive win to open the season, defeating Southern Miss in convincing fashion, 6-1, Friday afternoon out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
Houston (3-0) never trailed in this one, as senior Celia Fraser and freshman Tina Rupert set the tone early, dominating the Southern Miss tandem of Kathrin Waidner and Lisa Noderer, 6-1, in the day’s first doubles matchup on court three. Freshman Despoina Vogasari and junior Elena Kordolaimi quickly followed suit, winning their pairing on court two, 6-3, to secure the Cougars’ first point of the match and UH’s first doubles point on the year.
Kordolaimi was excellent in her 2014 singles debut, easily getting past Southern Miss’ Waidner in straight sets (6-2, 6-1) from the No. 5 spot to extend the Cougar advantage to 2-0.
Vogasari continued to stay perfect from the No. 1 position, as she defeated the Golden Eagles’ Mahitha Dadireddy, 6-2, 6-4, to put UH on the brink of victory, giving the Cougars a commanding 3-0 lead.
Rupert then did what she’s done all year so far in the early going, as she dominated Southern Miss’ Karina Gurgenyan, 6-2, 6-1 from the No. 4 position, to stay perfect in singles play on the year, but most importantly clinch the dual match victory for the Cougars.
With the score already at 4-0, Maria Andrea Cardenas and Rocio Martin Fernandez both took advantage of opportunities to pad their individual statistics, as Cardenas blew by her competition on court three, 6-2, 7-5, and Martin took care of business from the No. 6 spot for a second straight week, defeating her opponent 6-4, 6-2.
The Golden Eagles took the final point on court two, putting an end to a streak in which Houston had scored 19 straight points off of Southern Miss going back to April 3, 2011.
The Cougars will be back in action Sunday, as they’ll take on Texas A&M-Corpus Christi at 11:00 a.m. CT out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
Match Notes: Houston is off to its second consecutive 3-0 start to begin the season…the Cougars have now won four straight over Southern Miss, including two consecutive at home.
Houston 6, Southern Miss 1
1. Despoina Vogasari (UH) def. Mahitha Dadireddy (USM), 6-2, 6-4
2. Carolin Drescher (USM) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 6-7 (5), 6-2, 13-11
3. Maria Andrea Cardenas (UH) def. Lisa Noderer (USM), 6-2, 7-5
4. Tina Rupert (UH) def. Karina Gurgenyan (USM), 6-2, 6-1
5. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Kathrin Waidner (USM), 6-2, 6-1
6. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Alex Kitchen (USM), 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4*, 6, 3, 2
1. Cardenas/ Martin (UH) vs. Drescher/ Kitchen (USM), 5-5 DNF
2. Vogasari/ Kordolaimi (UH) def. Dadireddy/ Gurgenyan (USM), 6-3
3. Fraser/ Rupert (UH) def. Noderer/ Waidner (USM), 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2