Celia Fraser clinched Houston's win over Southern Miss on Saturday
Feb. 2, 2013
HATTIESBURG, Miss. - The University of Houston women's tennis team bounced back from its opening loss of the 2013 season in dominating fashion, posting a 7-0 shutout of Southern Miss in Conference USA action on Saturday at USM Tennis Courts to improve to 4-1 this spring.
"Today was a great bounce-back win after last weekend's tough loss," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "We had a very difficult conversation with the team last Sunday night and I am very impressed by the way they responded last week in practice and today. I was also really happy with the way Jo Garvey played in her first singles match of the spring after dealing with some injuries this past fall.
"Tomorrow we have our work cut out for us against Mississippi State, a team that is used to playing tough matches weekly in the SEC," Sullivan continued. "Hopefully will we will be able to take today's momentum into Starkville and make some good things happen."
The Houston tandem of Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk opened doubles play and set the tone for the match with an 8-0 victory over the Golden Eagles' Nettles and Case, and Jo Garvey and Elena Kordolaimi teamed up to defeat Coats and Grossman by a score of 8-5 at the No. 2 position to clinch the opening point.
Dionne Sanders kicked off singles play with a 6-0, 6-0 rout of Macie Case at the No. 5 position to remain a perfect 4-0 on the season, while Garvey followed at the No. 6 spot with a 6-1, 6-0 drubbing of Emily Nettles to put Houston up 3-0 in the match.
Fraser clinched Houston's fourth win of the season with a 6-1, 6-0 victory over Alexus Coats at the No. 2 position, and Charlotte Phillips (6-1, 6-1), Kazimieruk (6-1, 6-0) and Kordolaimi (6-2, 6-2) each followed with straight-set wins to round out the scoring.
The Cougars return to action at 1 p.m., tomorrow to take on Mississippi State in Starkville.
Houston 7, Southern Miss 0
1. Lanier/Mays (USM) vs. Phillips/Martin Fernandez (UH), 6-5, DNF
2. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH) def. Coats/Grossman (USM), 8-5
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Nettles/Case (USM), 8-0
Order of Finish: 3,2*
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Kate Lanier (USM), 6-2, 6-2
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Alexus Coats (USM), 6-1, 6-0
3. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Elanor Grossman (USM), 6-1, 6-1
4. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Lauren May (USM), 6-1, 6-0
5. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Macie Case (USM), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jo Garvey (UH) def. Emily Nettles (USM), 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 5,6,2*,3,4,1