Senior Maja Kazimieruk improved to 7-0 this spring in singles play
Feb. 8, 2013
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The University of Houston tennis team opened weekend action with a 4-3 victory over UTSA on Friday afternoon to improve to 5-2 in dual play this spring.
"We came out strong today in doubles and just as in our other 4-3 matches, the doubles ended up being the difference," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "This one was not quite as much of a nail-biter since we got to four before they were on the board, but nonetheless it was a hard-fought match against a very improved UTSA team and we are fortunate to get out of San Antonio with a win."
The Cougars were dominant in doubles play, as Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk teamed up to defeat UTSA's Menon and Hand by a score of 8-2, and Rocio Martin Fernandez and Charlotte Phillips followed at the top position with an 8-4 defeat of the Roadrunner tandem of Jonsson and Shichkova to clinch the crucial opening point.
Phillips kicked off the scoring in singles play by routing Daniela Garcia-Diaz at the No. 4 spot by a score of 6-3, 6-0 to improve to 5-2 this spring, while Kazimieruk put Houston on the verge of victory with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Kavya Menon at the No. 5 position to improve to a perfect 7-0 this season.
Martin Fernandez sealed the Houston victory by defeating Alena Schichkova at the No. 3 spot by a score of 6-2, 6-4 before the Roadrunners won the remaining matches at the final three positions once the contest was decided.
"Obviously my digestive tract appreciates 7-0 wins a little more than these close ones, but we did compete well at most spots today and this is the type of competition that we need in order to get better, so in that sense it's a real positive," Sullivan continued. "We will get some rest and start getting mentally prepared for Texas State on Sunday, in what I expect to be another very well-contested match."
The Cougars continue weekend play at Texas State at 11 a.m., on Sunday in San Marcos. Fans can keep up with all the action live by following UHCougarTennis on Twitter.
Houston 4, UTSA 3
1. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH) def. Jonsson/Shichkova (UTSA), 8-4
2. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) vs. Junger/Garcia-Diaz (UTSA), 6-6
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Menon/Hand (UTSA), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,1*
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 4-6, 6-1, 1-0(6)
2. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 6-0, 7-5
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Alena Schichkova (UTSA), 6-2, 6-4
4. Charlotte Phillips (UH) def. Daniela Garcia-Diaz (UTSA), 6-3, 6-0
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Kavya Menon (UTSA), 6-0, 6-0
6. Miranda Poile (UTSA) def. Jo Garvey (UH), 6-3, 3-6, 1-0(7)
Order of Finish: 4,5,3*,6,1,2