Houston Rolls Past No. 63 North Texas; 5-0
Feb. 8, 2014
HOUSTON--- The Cougars made a strong statement Saturday afternoon out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts, as they made easy work of No. 63 North Texas, defeating the Mean Green, 5-0, clinching Houston’s best four-game start since the 2007 spring campaign.
Before today, the Cougars (4-0) hadn’t defeated a ranked opponent in four consecutive tries, with its last win vs. a ranked school coming in last year’s spring season opener vs. then No. 59 Stephen F. Austin.
All that can be thrown out the window now, as it was Houston who looked like the nationally ranked team on Saturday afternoon, while the Cougars not only clinched their second shutout victory of the season, but also did so without dropping a single set.
Houston jumped in front early, as Charlotte Phillips and Tina Rupert earned a dominating 6-1 win on court three, while the combo of Rocio Martin Fernandez and Maria Andrea Cardenas took their matchup on court one (6-4) to clinch the doubles point for the Cougars.
With Houston already off to a 1-0 advantage, freshman Despoina Vogasari took care of business at the No. 1 position, defeating North Texas’ Anastasiya Shestakov in straight sets 6-2, 6-2, giving the Cougars a 2-0 overall lead.
Elena Kordolaimi quickly followed suit, as she rolled past Agustina Valenzuela, also by the final of 6-2, 6-2, to put Houston on the verge of clinching the match.
Fittingly, Phillips represented the clinching point for Houston, as she downed Ana Sofia Cordero in consecutive sets (6-0, 6-4) to give the Cougars the final point they needed to secure the victory, after helping Houston record its first point of the day in doubles action.
Cardenas improved to a perfect 4-0 in singles action, as she brought in the fifth and final point for Houston, after defeating Kamilla Galieva 6-0, 6-4.
Neither Tina Rupert nor Martin were able to finish their matchups, but both were leading after the contest was called early.
Houston will try and keep its perfect record alive, when it takes on Kansas, next Friday at 11:00 a.m. CT out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
Houston 5, No. 63 North Texas 0
1. Despoina Vogasari (HOU) def. Anastasiya Shestakov (UNT), 6-2, 6-2
2. Maria Cardenas (HOU) def. Kamilla Galieva (UNT), 6-0, 6-4
3. Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) def. Agustina Valenzuela (UNT) 6-2, 6-2
4. Tina Rupert (HOU) vs. Alexis Thoma (UNT) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
5. Charlotte Phillips (HOU) def. Ana Sofia Cordero (UNT) 6-0, 6-4
6. Rocio Martin (HOU) vs. Dane' Joubert (UNT) 6-4, 2-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1,3,5*,2
1. Maria Cardenas/Rocio Martin (HOU) def. Agustina Valenzuela/Franziska Sprinkmeye (UNT) 6-4
2. Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) vs. Alexis Thoma/Kamilla Galieva (UNT) 4-4, unfinished
3. Charlotte Phillips/Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Dane' Joubert/Anastasiya Shestakov (UNT) 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 1