Maja Kazimieruk remained unbeaten in singles play (9-0) on Friday
Feb. 15, 2013
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - The University of Houston women's tennis team suffered another heartbreaking defeat on Friday afternoon, falling to North Florida by a score of 4-3. The Cougars dropped to 6-3 overall in dual play this spring, while North Florida improved to 3-1 on the season.
"We were great under pressure to finish out the doubles but to UNF's credit, they bounced back and came out strong in singles," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "Dionne (Sanders) played confidently, which was good to see, and Maja (Kazimieruk) just keeps on grinding them out. Unfortunately we couldn't close it out when we had our chance to and credit goes to a very fit and tough UNF team."
The Houston tandem of Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk led off doubles play with an 8-5 victory over UNF's Weymar and Calderon, and following a loss at the top position, the Cougar duo of Jo Garvey and Elena Kordolaimi rallied to force a tiebreaker, where they rolled to a 7-2 decision over Hollander and Pereira to clinch the match's opening point.
Kazimieruk broke a 1-1 deadlock in the match by topping Melanie Aguirre by a score of 6-3, 6-2 at the No. 5 position to improve to 9-0 this spring, and Dionne Sanders broke another tie with a 7-5, 6-4 defeat of Mariella Calderon to push Houston to a 3-2 advantage.
North Florida's Marina Cunningham evened the match by topping Rocio Martin Fernandez in straight sets at the No. 3 position, and Kordolaimi fell in three sets at the top position to Lorena Aviles as the Ospreys sealed the win.
The Cougars return to action at 10 a.m., on Saturday against Florida Gulf Coast in Fort Myers, Fla.
North Florida 4, Houston 3
1. Aviles/Aguirre (UNF) def. Martin Fernandez/Phillips (UH), 8-5
2. Garvey/Kordolaimi (UH) def. Hollander/Pereira (UNF), 8-7(2)
3. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Weymar/Calderon (UNF), 8-5
Order of Finish: 3,1,2*
1. Lorena Aviles (UNF) def. Elena Kordolaimi (UH), 3-6, 6-2, 6-0
2. Simona Weymar (UNF) def. Celia Fraser (UH), 6-1, 6-2
3. Marina Cunningham (UNF) def. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH), 6-2, 6-2
4. Rebeca Pereira (UNF) def. Charlotte Phillips (UH), 6-4, 6-3
5. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Melanie Aguirre (UNF), 6-3, 6-2
6. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Mariella Calderon (UNF), 7-5, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2,5,4,6,3,1*