Senior Maja Kazimieruk improved to 10-1 in singles action this spring
Feb. 24, 2013
HOUSTON - The University of Houston women's tennis team returned home following six-consecutive road matches and posted a dominant 7-0 victory over UTPA on Sunday at John E. Hoff Courts. The Cougars claimed their fourth win the last five matches to improve to 8-3 overall.
"After all of the 4-3 matches we have played lately, it was good to be able to get out in front early and put one away," head coach Patrick Sullivan said. "Championship caliber teams know how to close the door on a match and have too much edginess and pride to let teams hang around for longer than they should. We continue to improve in that area and did a great job of closing on most courts today."
Houston's duo of Dionne Sanders and Rocio Martin Fernandez opened play with an 8-1 rout of UTPA's Perez and Lavrijssen and Celia Fraser and Maja Kazimieruk followed up with an 8-3 defeat of Beguelin and Fatchikova to clinch the doubles point for the Cougars.
Elena Kordolaimi set the tone for the singles round, kicking off play with a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Dana Nazarova at the top spot to put Houston up 2-0 in the match.
Martin Fernandez followed with a 6-0, 6-1 drubbing of Manon Lavrijssen at the No. 3 position to improve to 8-2 this spring, while Jo Garvey registered a 6-0, 6-4 victory over Julia Perez at the bottom spot to seal the match for the Cougars.
Kazimieruk and Fraser followed with straight-set victories once the match was decided, while Sanders prevailed in a tiebreaker at the No. 5 position to round out the scoring.
The Cougars return to the road to take on Air Force on Friday at 1 p.m., CT in Colorado Springs, Colo.
Houston 7, UTPA 0
1. Kordolaimi/Garvey (UH) vs. Nazarova/Greenwood (UTPA), 6-6
2. Fraser/Kazimieruk (UH) def. Beguelin/Fatchikova (UTPA), 8-3
3. Sanders/Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Perez/Lavrijssen (UTPA), 8-1
Order of Finish: 3,2*
1. Elena Kordolaimi (UH) def. Dana Nazarova (UTPA), 6-0, 6-0
2. Celia Fraser (UH) def. Didi Fatchikova (UTPA), 6-3, 6-1
3. Rocio Martin Fernandez (UH) def. Manon Lavrijssen (UTPA), 6-0, 6-1
4. Maja Kazimieruk (UH) def. Wanda Beguelin (UTPA), 6-4, 6-4
5. Dionne Sanders (UH) def. Reegan Greenwood (UTPA), 3-6, 6-2, 10-6
6. Jo Garvey (UH) def. Julia Perez (UTPA), 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 1,3,6*,4,2,5