Tina Rupert helped lead Houston to a doubles win Friday
Feb. 28, 2014
AUSTIN, Texas--- The Cougars were able to compete with one of the top programs in the country, but in the end No. 26 Texas was a little too much to handle, as Houston fell 5-0 on Friday out at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center.
Houston (7-2) made a statement early, as it gave all Texas (4-6) could handle in doubles play.
After the Cougars dropped the court three matchup, Maria Andrea Cardenas and Tina Rupert led the entire way on court two, as the tandem upset Texas' Elizabeth Begley and Pippa Horn, 8-5, to lock the doubles portion up at 1-1.
Houston nearly pulled off another shocker on court one, but freshman Despoina Vogasari and Elena Kordolaimi dropped a spirited, 6-8 decision to the Longhorns' Breaunna Addison and Neda Koprcina, as Texas took the doubles point and the overall 1-0 lead.
Texas' Koprcina defeated Cardenas 6-1, 6-3 on court four to take a 2-0 advantage over the Cougars.
The Longhorns then went up 3-0, after Lana Groenvynck outlasted junior Charlotte Phillips 7-5, 6-2 in a hard-fought battle.
Tina Rupert, who has been so clutch for the Cougars as of late, tried to stand tall for Houston once again, as she rallied to win set two of her court five matchup, 6-4 after dropping the opening set 2-6, but unfortunately there just wasn't enough left in the tank, as she fell to Lina Padegimaite 6-2, 4-6, 6-2, which represented the fourth and clinching point for Texas.
Due to prior travel arrangements, the match was cut short with the score at 5-0, but both Kordolaimi and senior Celia Fraser both ended the day with good shots to win their respective singles matchup. Kordolaimi trailed just 1-0 in the third and final set from the No. 2 position, while Fraser was victorious in her first set, 6-4, and trailed 3-5 in the second set on court three.
The Cougars will get right back to work, as they return home to take on No. 17 Tulsa, tomorrow at 11:00 a.m. CT out at the John E. Hoff Tennis Courts.
No. 26 Texas 5, No. 30 Houston 0
- #16 Breaunna Addison (TEXAS) def. Despoina Vogasari (HOU) 6-4, 7-6 (5-0)
- #106 Elizabeth Begley (TEXAS) vs. Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) 3-6, 6-4, 1-0, unfinished
- #76 Ratnika Barta (TEXAS) vs. Celia Fraser (HOU) 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
- Neda Koprcina (TEXAS) def. Maria Cardenas (HOU) 6-1, 6-3
- Lina Padegimaite (TEXAS) def. Tina Rupert (HOU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
- Lana Groenvynck (TEXAS) def. Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 7-5, 6-2
Order of Finish: 4,6,5*,1
- Breaunna Addison/Neda Koprcina (TEXAS) def. Despoina Vogasari/Elena Kordolaimi (HOU) 8-6
- 2. Maria Cardenas/Tina Rupert (HOU) def. Elizabeth Begley/Pippa Horn (TEXAS) 8-5
- Lina Padegimaite/Ratnika Barta (TEXAS) def. Celia Fraser/Charlotte Phillips (HOU) 8-2
Order of Finish: 3,2,1